Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 spotted in drivers and benchmarks

Thanks

Re: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 spotted in drivers and benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    Opinions: do you think a top card in the next NVidia/AMD ranges is going to see its owner through the time period covering this console gen, given that this card would be comfortably better than any console and the consoles are targeting 4K? Or is it going to be a better idea to wait for 2011/12?
    It'll be interesting to see how many console games really are true 4K rather than rendered at a lower res & upscaled. Also, the frame-rates at 4K too. Although there are TVs that support 120Hz @ 4k res just coming on the market, it'll be a while before they are a large market segment.
    Well, about the consoles its pretty obvious that the normal ones wont be able to play 4k@60hz native, but their X versions should. However from PC hardware i expect nothing less than 4k@120 stable from these prices

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I shudder at the potential price of it - hopefully the near RTX2080TI pricing isn't true(yes,I am sure its faster than the RTX2080TI).
    If TechPowerUp's rumour is accurate we're looking at $2k for the rumoured 3090..

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by DevDrake View Post
    Well, about the consoles its pretty obvious that the normal ones wont be able to play 4k@60hz native, but their X versions should. However from PC hardware i expect nothing less than 4k@120 stable from these prices
    I wonder whether AMD have any technology along the lines of Nvidia's DLSS 2 in the pipeline? That would definitely improve the image quality of upscaled games on consoles.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    If TechPowerUp's rumour is accurate we're looking at $2k for the rumoured 3090..
    Good grief! So that's £2K or more in the UK!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

allowing for deflation that will arrive in a few months those who pay £2k will be happy. soon £2k won't get you a GTS950.

Thanks

You already pay 2.5K for the current titan rtx and my personal opinion is that the titan is going to be 'rebranded' as the 3090 (the titan has 24GB memory and the 3090 seems like it might as well) so there is already a (stupid) pricing precedent. Why do I think it's a rebranding exercise, basically they're running out of names and going number based is easier.

Do I agree with that level of pricing, hell no..... even as the 'half way house' between geforce and quadro it doesn't warrant that price imo, unfortunately it's a 'relative' bargain for professionals so it likely sells pretty well none the less.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    You already pay 2.5K for the current titan rtx and my personal opinion is that the titan is going to be 'rebranded' as the 3090 (the titan has 24GB memory and the 3090 seems like it might as well) so there is already a (stupid) pricing precedent. Why do I think it's a rebranding exercise, basically they're running out of names and going number based is easier.

Do I agree with that level of pricing, hell no..... even as the 'half way house' between geforce and quadro it doesn't warrant that price imo, unfortunately it's a 'relative' bargain for professionals so it likely sells pretty well none the less.
    That's very true, but I always thought the Titans to be 'cheap' Quadros rather than expensive gaming cards (I realise they don't have the validated drivers of Quadros). It will be interesting to see if Nvidia ever release an Ampere Titan branded card though.

Thanks

(I realise they don't have the validated drivers of Quadros).
    To be fair even that has sort of blurred now with nvidia studio drivers, while not supporting some of the programs that force you to use a quadro (by hard coding, for no reason in most cases) they do support some of the ones that the quadro drivers are 'optimised' for... not that I've had any issues with normal geforce drivers outside of the programs that force you to use a quadro (they still work in most cases, just 'slower')

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I think it'll actually be cheaper than last Titan. AMD have made them a bit cautious, so rather than having out of orbit pricing on what would have been the titan, they're releasing it as a 3090 in order to say "we still beat AMD in the 'regular' range", while allowing them to charge more than a 3080. Progress, of sorts.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

All I can say is WTF?? Now imagine that the Titan will be priced above it.

Thanks

All I can say is WTF?? Now imagine that the Titan will be priced above it.
    Honestly, as I said earlier, I don't think there will be a titan this time, if ever again, it's already a confusing mess trying to work out which version is which lol.

What I suspect is going to happen is we're going to get
    GA102-400-A1 with 5,376 CUDA cores and 24 GB of 17 Gbps VRAM - originally planned as a titan, renamed to 3090 priced the same or similar to the current titan around £2.5k, maybe lowered slightly depending on AMD
    GA102-300-A1 with 5,248 CUDA cores and 12 GB of 21 Gbps VRAM - originally planned as 3090, renamed to 3080ti - I reckon £1200 range
    GA102-200-Kx-A1 with 4,352 CUDA cores and 10 GB of 19 Gbps VRAM - 3080 - £1000 range

I could be wrong mind you lol

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Honestly, as I said earlier, I don't think there will be a titan this time, if ever again, it's already a confusing mess trying to work out which version is which lol.

What I suspect is going to happen is we're going to get
    GA102-400-A1 with 5,376 CUDA cores and 24 GB of 17 Gbps VRAM - originally planned as a titan, renamed to 3090 priced the same or similar to the current titan around £2.5k, maybe lowered slightly depending on AMD
    GA102-300-A1 with 5,248 CUDA cores and 12 GB of 21 Gbps VRAM - originally planned as 3090, renamed to 3080ti - I reckon £1200 range
    GA102-200-Kx-A1 with 4,352 CUDA cores and 10 GB of 19 Gbps VRAM - 3080 - £1000 range
    This is Nvidia who made the Titan V which was over £2000. There probably will be one - I wouldn't be surprised if the RTX3090 is a salvage part,or is worse in some way. All they are doing is making another tier above the 80TI,hence it now becomes a lower tier gaming part.

Hence the 80TI now drops down the rank - instead of it being a second level salvage,it will be 3rd level.

Thanks

This is Nvidia who made the Titan V which was over £2000. There probably will be one - I wouldn't be surprised if the RTX3090 is a salvage part,or is worse in some way. All they are doing is making another tier above the 80TI,hence it now becomes a lower tier gaming part.

Hence the 80TI now drops down the rank - instead of it being a second level salvage,it will be 3rd level.
    The current titan rtx is just shy of £2500 and has 24GB of vram....

As said above maybe it's AMD rumours (and I'm sure they've had access to info from partners, both ways) making them be a bit more cautious and/or branding things a little different, nvidia will want to hold onto the 'gaming crown' after all. I wouldn't be shocked if the titan/3090 isn't the 'full chip' either (supposedly ampere is Up to 128 SMs / 8192 GPU cores for GA100) but if rumours/info is true it does have a slower vram throughput which is consistent with current titan.

Realistically the pricing really depends on AMD and I can fully see AMD pricing theirs 'high' as well but just a touch cheaper than nvidia at relative performance.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The current titan rtx is just shy of £2500 and has 24GB of vram....

As said above maybe it's AMD rumours (and I'm sure they've had access to info from partners, both ways) making them be a bit more cautious and/or branding things a little different, nvidia will want to hold onto the 'gaming crown' after all. I wouldn't be shocked if the titan/3090 isn't the 'full chip' either (supposedly ampere is Up to 128 SMs / 8192 GPU cores for GA100) but if rumours/info is true it does have a slower vram throughput which is consistent with current titan.

Realistically the pricing really depends on AMD and I can fully see AMD pricing theirs 'high' as well but just a touch cheaper than nvidia at relative performance.
    Nvidia like Apple will find new ways to exploit the market. The Titan V was £3000,and there was already another Pascal Titan underneath it,and that had also more expensive Star Wars Editions.

Even if as you say there is no Titan this year,it doesn't mean we won't have an RTX4090 and a Titan the next generation either. Nvidia is just setting the groundwork to make the 80TI a tier below what its now. After all the 80 series used to be the best GPU they did,but now its been pushed down two tiers,ie,80TI and Titan.

You only need to look at where the mainstream tier now stands. A 60 series GPU used to be the 3rd/4th fastest GPU in the stack. Now the RTX2060 and RTX2060 Super are 7th and 8th down the stack,with the GTX1660 series now covering 9th,10th and 11th places.

So if you look at each generation,the maximum performance jump has been relatively consistent,but its now spread over more and more models.So if you buy via price,then things are getting slowly worse and worse.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

So if you look at each generation,the maximum performance jump has been relatively consistent,but its now spread over more and more models.So if you buy via price,then things are getting slowly worse and worse.
    worse in terms of bang-per-buck as a % of the top tier card, then yes. But overall performance at a given price point still increases vs previous models that were sold at that price in previous generations. It's not like buying the newer generation at that price gives you worse performance. It just wrankles that instead of being on a decent card it's the relative dregs of the stack that is now affordable for the mainstream.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    worse in terms of bang-per-buck as a % of the top tier card, then yes. But overall performance at a given price point still increases vs previous models that were sold at that price in previous generations. It's not like buying the newer generation at that price gives you worse performance. It just wrankles that instead of being on a decent card it's the relative dregs of the stack that is now affordable for the mainstream.
    Actually the performance jumps at the top are relatively consistent for Nvidia. So 70~100% for each node,and around 40~50% when on the same node,but ONLY if you compare the properly aligned models. However,by cost its definitely getting worse and worse. For instance the doubling of performance at a given cost in the mainstream is getting slower IMHO.

It even gets worse when you consider it by ranking relative to the top. Your GTX460 was the 3rd fastest GPU Nvidia did in the Fermi stack after the GTX470 and GTX480. In the Maxwell stack it was the GTX980. In the Pascal stack it was the GTX1080(or you could say the GTX1080TI as there were two Pascal based Titan GPUs with co-existed with each other). In the Turing stack,it is the RTX2080 Super(or the RTX2080 if you go by the original launch lineup).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information