Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 29 of 29

Thread: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

  1. #17
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 1 post

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    It’s a really interesting model MS have, much more interesting than just having models with and without the disk drive. If the series S runs well at 1080p it should sell well, as it offers an outstanding value. Not surprised the pre orders have sold out, isn’t that fairly standard for new console releases these days, it helps them generate hype after all.

  2. #18
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,022
    Thanks
    1,870
    Thanked
    3,381 times in 2,718 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    The Xbox/PS5 launch was perfectly reasonable and so was the 3080 launch in your eyes?
    Well I must admit I can't speak for someone who absolutely had to get any of the above on release day for fear of some terrible consequence so you need to find someone who fits that if you want their side of the story.

    From where I stand, yes, the launches of at least the 3080 and the XBSX were perfectly reasonable - we got a nice breakdown of form, features and technology, as well as pricing. Reviews of the 3080 are detailed enough for me to make a purchasing decision when I come to look at buying a new card. The PS5 is a little bit behind in absolute technical detail, but there was still enough to get an idea of things.

    Over to AMD.

  3. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    26 times in 15 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    What's the rush people?

    Are you afraid the next batch will be much worse than the first one?
    Cause from my experience (since the '90s) usually, the first versions were the ones to avoid. In general, after 6 months comes a revision with small fixes discovered in the first batch.

    As for 3080 10Gb, well there is a 20Gb version coming, plus AMD needs to show their cards (no pun intended), so again, what's the rush?
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

  4. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,878
    Thanks
    927
    Thanked
    968 times in 714 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    What's the rush people?

    Are you afraid the next batch will be much worse than the first one?
    Cause from my experience (since the '90s) usually, the first versions were the ones to avoid. In general, after 6 months comes a revision with small fixes discovered in the first batch.

    As for 3080 10Gb, well there is a 20Gb version coming, plus AMD needs to show their cards (no pun intended), so again, what's the rush?
    Bragging rights??

    Though to be fair, some people have probably been waiting for the 3080 for ages and just, at almost any (realm of the feasible) price, just want one, and want it last month. Many years ago, that would have included me. Quite a few times, a major motivation for me geting a commission to review this or that was that I was excited about what it could do, and wanted one. Fortunately (for me) I could scratch that itch either by going direct to the msnufacturer, or sometimes to a major OEN/integrator, and getting either a golden sample from the msnufacturer, or a "first retail chip" from an OEM/integrator. Bear in mind, many of these products will physically be in stock days, sometimes a couple of weeks or more, before launch day, because systems needed to be built to satisfy Day-1 demand.

    Several times, I had quite lengthy "arguments" with people on forums (not this one) over the spec,, or features, or capabilities of the latest forthcoming whizzwang, and they would swear up one side and down the other that it could do this, or didn't have that, and I knew they were wrong, because I had one at home and had been testing it for several weeks but, due to NDAs, I couldn't tell them that. That did result in a few "told you so" moments and some forumites did catch on .... after a few such examples. One or two even asked me outright, albeit privately, if I had one .... and I had to dodge the question. They read between the lines, though.

    So, all that said, I had numerous examples if a certain satisfaction of actually having something few others had, or could get, but wanted. Sometimes, wanted badly.

    And satisfying those buyers, usually at a stiff premium, is merely part of the marketing cycle and the more they can raise the hype, the more (for limited numbers, and/or time) they could hike the price for those determined to be first.

    These days, I'm rarely doing reviews and am certainly not prepared to pay Day 1, or even early-adopter, prices. In fact, not bleeding edge prices at all. I'm quite happy to wait for prices to drop, and often, even to go for a superceded model. But I do, just a but, miss that 'rare item' excitement.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

  5. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    It would seem there has been "record traffic", only time will tell if they have the capacity to turn this I to record sales, but I'm sure AMD will try their best to provide inventory.
    Last edited by Yoyoyo69; 24-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.

  6. #22
    OwP
    OwP is offline
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    14 times in 14 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Haven't all the consoles, been selling out on pre-order for the last 20 years? Cant remember that last one that didn't sell out.

  7. #23
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,948
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked
    255 times in 173 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Got to honest I'm not surprised. When you can order a Series S with game pass for £21 a month (Which is less than most phone contract nowadays it seems) that's a hell lot of decent 1080p gaming for an affordable amount. I think its the first time I've actually considered a next gen console at release... (I normally can't afford them). Still I'm sure there is a deliberate fake hype element to it too.
    Trust

    Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

  8. #24
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked
    126 times in 106 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Got to honest I'm not surprised. When you can order a Series S with game pass for £21 a month (Which is less than most phone contract nowadays it seems) that's a hell lot of decent 1080p gaming for an affordable amount. I think its the first time I've actually considered a next gen console at release... (I normally can't afford them). Still I'm sure there is a deliberate fake hype element to it too.
    Yeah while Game Pass has overall been good, the games included often don't come with any of the DLC content. The cynic in me is wondering if Microsoft's whole plan is to move to more and more DLC/episodic content that you have to pay for on top of Game Pass. It's fine for games like Forza where the base game is huge but FS2020 is more like a platform (or shopfront) for buying more content. And they have said Halo Infinite will be a 'platform' for 10 years. So will more and more first party games move that way where you get a limited base game and have to buy most of the rest of the content despite having Game Pass; I don't know but that's my concern.

  9. #25
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,699
    Thanks
    1,839
    Thanked
    1,434 times in 1,057 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    Yeah while Game Pass has overall been good, the games included often don't come with any of the DLC content. The cynic in me is wondering if Microsoft's whole plan is to move to more and more DLC/episodic content that you have to pay for on top of Game Pass. It's fine for games like Forza where the base game is huge but FS2020 is more like a platform (or shopfront) for buying more content. And they have said Halo Infinite will be a 'platform' for 10 years. So will more and more first party games move that way where you get a limited base game and have to buy most of the rest of the content despite having Game Pass; I don't know but that's my concern.
    I wouldn't put it past them. It seems to be their aim with a lot of things. Like neutering the perpetual office licenses so only 365 actually gets all the feature set.

  10. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    "Conspiracy! OTT marketing spin has gone off the rails! Building hype! deliberately underestimated numbers so demand would inflate the price! little more than a paper launch! cheap business / marketing move! cheap marketing tactics. Lies lies lies everywhere!"

    etc.

    Are you ok? You just sort of went off randomly rambling, you haven't quoted anyone and it has no bearing on anything said so far?

  11. #27
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,022
    Thanks
    1,870
    Thanked
    3,381 times in 2,718 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Are you ok? You just sort of went off randomly rambling, you haven't quoted anyone and it has no bearing on anything said so far?
    I didn't want to embarass people by putting their names, but they're all pretty much what other people have said in other threads about recent hardware sell-outs so I just thought we could get it out of the way and move onto something interesting.

  12. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Are you ok? You just sort of went off randomly rambling, you haven't quoted anyone and it has no bearing on anything said so far?
    I didn't want to embarass people by putting their names, but they're all pretty much what other people have said in other threads about recent hardware sell-outs so I just thought we could get it out of the way and move onto something interesting.
    Oh, ok haha, thought maybe you had posted in the wrong section or something.

    Yeah, there's been a lot of that (and always will be really), but a lot of it is justified, a few just tame it too far.

  13. #29
    Super Moderator Jonj1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,708
    Thanks
    1,744
    Thanked
    990 times in 759 posts

    Re: Xbox Series X/S consoles sold out on pre-order day one

    I couldn't get an xbox series s for my son on launch day but surprisingly managed to pre-order one yesterday with Argos for delivery on launch day.
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •