Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HBO Max is coming to Europe and Latin America in 2021

Thanks

Re: HBO Max is coming to Europe and Latin America in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Playing Devils advocate for a moment, lets say a government does as you suggest. Surely one of 2 things happens?

1. If only 1 country does it Netflix et al just pull out of that country.
    2. If they do it Neflix et al stop producing their own content. Why bother taking the financial risk in creating things when in 6 months (or whatever time period you set,) a rival service can pick them up (and they'll only pick the ones that succeeded.)
    They'd still get paid a 'fair' rate by the other company (syndication or whatever it's called) or, using netflix as an example, they'd do a content swap... I never suggested it should be free lol. Also remember with all these 'big media' streaming coming along there will be less content available for the likes of netflix because they'll be keeping for themselves.... if you get rid of netflix and you allow the 'big media' to run everything we can be sure the prices will ramp up far quicker than they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I would rather pay the TV license if I had to,etc because at least the BBC is a UK based broadcaster,and employs a lot of people here and if anything I would prefer any sort of license would also help local competitors such as ITV,etc. The film/tv industry is going through massive shocks now,and we do need to try and support them(not just the BBC IMHO).
    if you ignore the news can you honestly say there has been anything 'new' from the bbc that couldn't have been funded by adverts like itv etc.... not to mention a lot of the bbc stuff is outsourced to other countries too.

Most of these big streaming services are foreign and already taxpayer funded via tax breaks,etc in the US,Europe,etc probably to the tune of millions if not billions of pounds.Their taxpayers are paying for them in other ways which are not so evident.

So we are essentially propping up foreign companies at the expense of our own. So I do not have much interest in paying too much to help prop up foreign companies. The problem is now when you start adding stuff up,its becoming a bit silly in total monthly expenditure.
    pretty sure we're already one of the largest subsidising countries in the EU when it comes to tv/movies....

This is a bigger reason for why I have an issue having to spend loads on tons of streaming services - how much of it benefits our local industries? People complain about £150 for the TV license,but if you are paying £100 a month for services,that is 10X the amount already,and most of that is flowing out of the country.
    I don't think streaming is worth £100 a month either, £30ish would be my limit. I can probably speak for most people on here and say we all know how to get things via alternative means or the tried and tested trial periods etc so I don't think many if any would be willing to pay £100 a month on streaming, at the end of the day I doubt anyone wants to pay for just 'one show' (think Mandalorian on Disney)

Its not only the UK which is having this problem, in many countries the local film industries and local media services,are finding it harder and harder to compete against these huge multi-national media companies,and they are just buying up more and more smaller local competitors or driving them out of business.
    To be fair that's not just in the media sector (and I sort of work in it), the current legislations in the UK and abroad have allowed companies like Amazon, Google, Disney, Apple, MS, Facebook etc to have far too much financial power/control over competitors etc.

Do we really want most of the media we consume,made by huge media companies,owned by a few business people located in a few countries?? Its already starting to happen. Look at what is happening in Australia now,and the blowback against this!
    If you dig down deep enough, most of the major tv shows already are....and to be honest I don't really care where stuff is made as long as it's 'good' and they're paid fairly.

We really should be trying to build up our industry here somewhat more. Yes,these foreign companies do make series and films here,but I suspect most of the billions they make is flowing back to their countries of incorporation and helping their taxpayers.
    well wasn't that the 'idea' behind the bbc, 'british' tv paid for by the tv license etc, I remember when I was young and the bbc was pushing out decent, almost cutting edge content... now what do we get, strictly come dancing and stuff that's supposedly funny but is just basically stupidity etc, I don't think anyone would mind if the bbc actually produced 'decent' stuff still but lets be honest a large portion of the bbc is repeats or 'reality' type shows now.

It's not just about new shows either, the bbc is allowed to waste millions on presenters on popular shows, where it's usually the show that is popular, when realistically they could be using up and coming talent at far lower prices. I wouldn't mind supporting that sort of approach rather than paying liniker his millions for a show about kicking a ball around by overpaid players (I'm not exactly a fan of their wages either, but I don't pay towards that).

Thanks

Re: HBO Max is coming to Europe and Latin America in 2021

It's almost like WB are asking punters to pirate their stuff given the rights and how generally terrible NowTV is in terms of bitrate and resolution, and the devices that actually support it. Not that I would ever condone it but it really reminds me of the Oatmeal GoT strip ( https://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information