Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitmain teases Ethereum miner as fast as 32x RTX 3080 GPUs

Spreadie

Re: Bitmain teases Ethereum miner as fast as 32x RTX 3080 GPUs

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    AFAIK the fact they are selling the generation of hardware, means they are already running the G10 internally. This certainly used to be their strategy - the fastest ones they had were used internally until the difficulty jumped up a level & they had their next product ready to go, at which point they swap out and sell to the rest of the market. They own quite a few mining farms in China.

Lets them have a bit of the cherry on both ends,
    So, as soon as the efficiency starts tailing off they swap out for next gen and flog the current stuff while it's still marginally attractive. Sweet deal.

Thanks

If its true, its not a bad business model, mine on the stuff you have, get coins, then use the cash coming in from selling the old ones to purchase the hardware to build the new stuff..

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    So, as soon as the efficiency starts tailing off they swap out for next gen and flog the current stuff while it's still marginally attractive. Sweet deal.
    Yep. You see the exact same pattern all the way down the chain. Heck back when BTC was actually profitable to mine at home (which is crazy to think of since at the time it was only a few hundred $/BTC) I would buy Antminers a few generations old which had been through several hands first, use them for a few months and then resell on ebay.

It was win-win as you tended to get back what you paid for the miner and made a bit of cash along the way. Apart from the first one I bought, which I kept as a memory of when BTC was actually a profitable thing to mine in the UK.

I just wish I had not used my BTC there and then, like so many people i'd be rich by now!

Thanks
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD, Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 2 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p 60hz AOC q2778vqe
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 380Mb (Fibre Optic)

These things suck up more juice and make more noise and heat than it's worth for a home miner, but for those with the space and money to do it professionally without taking down a power grid... they can be very lucrative. However as a home miner running GPU's myself, I hope it takes them a while to release them, and I hope they are quite limited in supply until us GPU miners can move on to something else haha.

Thanks

The big question... will this divert the buy of GFX cards to this product instead? Or is re-sell factor still a thing?

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    The big question... will this divert the buy of GFX cards to this product instead? Or is re-sell factor still a thing?
    Mining is almost irrelevant at this point - Scalpers will pounce on whatever product is in demand, be it hangbags, shoes or GPUs. Materials shortages and mining helped create the demand for GPUs but the scalpers are perpetuating it by dint of not moving on to another product and, as long is there is demand, prices will remain high. If miners moved to ASICs for ETH, I'll bet scalpers would take up the slack immediately - there is enough latent demand to keep it going until next year.

I seriously doubt things will get back to normal unless there is a new Cabbage Patch craze or something to divert their attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information