Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce RTX 3060 debuts at number 84 in Steam HW Survey

Thanks

Re: GeForce RTX 3060 debuts at number 84 in Steam HW Survey

The survey does show mining impact I think. If you look back you for 3xxx cards that have been out for a while (e.g. 3080) you can see steam numbers were going up steadily but now have completely levelled off.
    I am guessing at first gamers and miners were buying them but now gamers have been priced out of the market and have mostly stopped buying 3xxx cards. Either that or Nvidia have stopped making the cards which seems a lot less likely looking at Nvidia's profits.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy
    Indeed there is, but so far (as far as I can see) nobody has....
    Kinda makes it all a bit moot and the article just rehashes it
    Boom boom ching.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy
    My mates in US of A are saying that miners are snapping up more cards now, not less as ETH is going to change shortly to make gpu mining less effective. I only know a handful who have managed to get 30xx cards for gaming worldwide and even less of AMD's latest

However stocks of 5xxx cpus appear better slightly and in the US I'm hearing Intel are having to discount massively to get sales. People appear willing to wait for the cpus but not the gpus
    I strongly suspect companies are using this to build into their internal models of the market. Any decent, large company has a stats person and a data person working to build models to understand and predict the market. People will be willing to wait for CPUs as their lifespan for gaming is longer and you can cope for longer with less impact from an older CPU. You're not going going to get "RTX on" from a CPU. Despite my own lack of enthusiasm, I can just about see why people are anxious for GPUs. I suppose another consideration is that, for gaming, almost any CPU will do and you can look to upgrade it if it bottlenecks too much in future. This makes something like 70% of the product stack viable for a gaming PC. Whereas the GPU market at the moment only has a few contenders for beefy gaming PCs, many of them sharing the same GPU cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompukare
    Yes, a bit of work but between the Steam data and the hashrate data DanceswithUnix looked at yesterday, we could make some pretty good guesses.

I suspect, that

demand is crazy
    volumes aren't actually that bad
    plenty of gamers got hold of cards even if they overpaid
    plenty of miners got hold of cards even if they overpaid

So both groups have overpaid for cards and driven up prices.
    I had expect mining to die down by now, but yesterday when responding to Dances' post I looked up the crypto prices again: ETH has gone up to over $3000 from around $1000 in January, so I guess the ponzi scheme hasn't collapsed yet.
    Yeh, this is what I think. I feel as though the manufacturers have had a hard time from people who can't delay gratification for a few months. I also wonder if this has been a cycle of demand feeding more demand. Miners seeing the cards get snapped up and thinking that if everyone else is doing it, they need to also to keep up. Gamers being blasted with free advertising about the shortages and making these things more desirable due to their scarcity and increased perceived value possibly made it even worse.

What I find utterly barking mad is my Vega 64, bought in September 2018 for £450, is now selling second hand on ebay for £200+ more than I paid for it. I was looking and thinking these terrible gaming cards would be dirt cheap, so I could buy a few for a password cracking rig. I was expecting maybe £100 for a card - that won't even buy a broken one that's GPO.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 05-05-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: formatting

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    What I find utterly barking mad is my Vega 64, bought in September 2018 for £450, is now selling second hand on ebay for £200+ more than I paid for it. I was looking and thinking these terrible gaming cards would be dirt cheap, so I could buy a few for a password cracking rig. I was expecting maybe £100 for a card - that won't even buy a broken one that's GPO.
    Don't tell me about it: I sold by 1060 in September and am now either on the IGP. Seldom run any demanding games but still.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Don't tell me about it: I sold by 1060 in September and am now either on the IGP. Seldom run any demanding games but still.
    I've not played a proper game in ages. If I had the option, I'd consider selling it but I don't have integrated graphics (I prefer to have them even if they are awful as it allows troubleshooting and redundancy) and also use it for the occasional hash cracking.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Honestly I have come to the point,I realised I have been priced out of AAA gaming. To get any GPU worth its salt at 1440p,that will have enough in the tank to last a decent amount of time, its going cost more than I can comfortably spend. Also with the XBox Series having a 52CU part,even an RX6700XT/RTX3060TI is probably realistically slower overall,once devs get around to optimising better for the new generation.

I am thinking of actually getting a 1080p FreeSync/GSync monitor just for gaming now. That way I can keep a GPU for much longer.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Honestly I have come to the point,I realised I have been priced out of AAA gaming. To get any GPU worth its salt at 1440p,that will have enough in the tank to last a decent amount of time, its going cost more than I can comfortably spend. Also with the XBox Series having a 52CU part,even an RX6700XT/RTX3060TI is probably realistically slower overall,once devs get around to optimising better for the new generation.

I am thinking of actually getting a 1080p FreeSync/GSync monitor just for gaming now. That way I can keep a GPU for much longer.
    I know the feeling. If devs make a game that needs the latest and greatest.. well I will just ignore it. There are a ton of games still being made (not to mention that back catalogue...!) that work great on older GPUs. The last few games I've bought weren't even 3D

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I wouldn't say I'm priced out, but I'd say the reward is not worth the investment. I have less and less time for gaming and I've much more sensible things to spend my money on. Like guns. At least if I spend £500 on a firearm it'll outlast me and won't be sold for a pittance in five years time. And I get to upset the Yanks with the cost of ammo over here. The point is there are lots of hobbies which just do not involve the same stupid level of investment - for the price of a gaming PC, you could buy a car, kit it out and race it. Or buy a half decent motorcycle and donate some organs. Or, if you wanted to do something addictive, financially ruinous that'll overload yer dopamine receptors, you could get a drug habit.

I bought my Freesync 4K monitor with the idea of 4K gaming and then switching to 1080 when the card aged. I think this was pretty sensible. Gaming is becoming a money pit. GOG and older games are just as good.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):

4K scales perfectly to 1080P though, whereas with 1440P you're stuck with 720P for a perfect scaling which is only really useful for guessing about CPU performance in future games.

Although I do wonder whether 1440P with a few settings turned down would not give a better experience than a 1080P monitor in the first place.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I know the feeling. If devs make a game that needs the latest and greatest.. well I will just ignore it. There are a ton of games still being made (not to mention that back catalogue...!) that work great on older GPUs. The last few games I've bought weren't even 3D
    I rarely buy games at launch,as I would rather give it some time to mature,and not run like a dog. Too many PC games are released half finished,with poor optimisations so hence why I tend to ignore most Early access games too. I broke this rule for Cyberpunk 2077 because I got it cheaply,but I think I should have just kept to it and waited another year or so. Valheim despite breaking both my rules,ended up being great. All the other games I wait months or even longer.

I wouldn't say I'm priced out, but I'd say the reward is not worth the investment. I have less and less time for gaming and I've much more sensible things to spend my money on. Like guns. At least if I spend £500 on a firearm it'll outlast me and won't be sold for a pittance in five years time. And I get to upset the Yanks with the cost of ammo over here. The point is there are lots of hobbies which just do not involve the same stupid level of investment - for the price of a gaming PC, you could buy a car, kit it out and race it. Or buy a half decent motorcycle and donate some organs. Or, if you wanted to do something addictive, financially ruinous that'll overload yer dopamine receptors, you could get a drug habit.

I bought my Freesync 4K monitor with the idea of 4K gaming and then switching to 1080 when the card aged. I think this was pretty sensible. Gaming is becoming a money pit. GOG and older games are just as good.
    Why I said I am priced out - I have other hobbies which I enjoy and get more return on. I can't justify expanding my budget more to make AMD/Nvidia/Intel richer. I don't want to spend nearly £500 on a GPU which either has a useless amount of VRAM or has poor RT performance,especially as I won't be having a system any better than a console.

I looked at 4K FreeSync/GSync monitors which had a good range,and either they were too big or cost too much money but that was yonks ago. What did you get out of interest? The 1080p idea is because I am a cheapskate and already have a fairly solid qHD 25" high gamut monitor for image editing.

4K scales perfectly to 1080P though, whereas with 1440P you're stuck with 720P for a perfect scaling which is only really useful for guessing about CPU performance in future games.

Although I do wonder whether 1440P with a few settings turned down would not give a better experience than a 1080P monitor in the first place.
    That is useful to know!

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Indeed, the scaling is why I decided to try 4K, knowing I could perfectly scale down to 1080 without any silliness.

I have spent over £500 on a GPU before now (when that marked the top of the range), only to be screwed over by nvidia for being an early adopter. I don't care to repeat the process.

I can't remember what monitor I got, it's an LG 4K with HDR and Freesync but it was a couple of years back and I wouldn't recommend it. I can't see the model name or number on the front and if I go around the back I might catch something. The backlight is very uneven, it has calibration claims which are lies lies lies and so on. In retrospect, as a whole I'd have been better off with 1440 and spending more on panel quality, but for the gaming I now do, this works fine.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Indeed, the scaling is why I decided to try 4K, knowing I could perfectly scale down to 1080 without any silliness.

I have spent over £500 on a GPU before now (when that marked the top of the range), only to be screwed over by nvidia for being an early adopter. I don't care to repeat the process.

I can't remember what monitor I got, it's an LG 4K with HDR and Freesync but it was a couple of years back and I wouldn't recommend it. I can't see the model name or number on the front and if I go around the back I might catch something. The backlight is very uneven, it has calibration claims which are lies lies lies and so on. In retrospect, as a whole I'd have been better off with 1440 and spending more on panel quality, but for the gaming I now do, this works fine.
    I am running games on a NoSync monitor:
    https://www.dell.com/lv/business/p/d...16d-monitor/pd

So anything newer would be an improvement.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):

The backlight is very uneven, it has calibration claims which are lies lies lies and so on.
    Worse than the average IPS glow?
    Of course almost all IPS panels are made by LG Displays anyhow.
    Mind you, I think you have to crawl around the back now and tell us which model it was... Or just search your email client for the order confirmation which is what I usually do when I can't remember a part number.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Worse than the average IPS glow?
    Of course almost all IPS panels are made by LG Displays anyhow.
    Mind you, I think you have to crawl around the back now and tell us which model it was... Or just search your email client for the order confirmation which is what I usually do when I can't remember a part number.
    Mine has a bit of it,but then I care amount image quality for photography then gaming quality!

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):

Mine has a bit of it,but then I care amount image quality for photography then gaming quality!
    I have two Dell P2414H's and their glow is terrible. Bought then ages ago for £100 or so when that NRG-IT (I think) company used to sell surplus Dell stuff. Monitors were in perfect unused condition but I had to source the stands separately. Think the glow as become worse with age though.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I have two Dell P2414H's and their glow is terrible. Bought then ages ago for £100 or so when that NRG-IT (I think) company used to sell surplus Dell stuff. Monitors were in perfect unused condition but I had to source the stands separately. Think the glow as become worse with age though.
    Mine has a bit in the top corners,but its been mostly tolerable(monitor is now 5 years old!).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Wowsers:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,7.html

The RTX3060 outperforms the RTX3060TI/RTX3070 in the latest Resident Evil game at 4K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information