• 8gb 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 12tb 2.5tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • uhd500 gtx1070
      • PSU:
      • DC 750w thorium

Re: UK full fibre grows but it remains third from bottom in Europe

Not surprised I live in the Oval (not a rural backwater) and for the fourth year in a row I have been told I cannot get fibre as the "cabinet is full". There appears to be no way to get on a waiting list or whatever. I even tried 4g broadband which could very sporadically, achieve 30-40 , but was in general unusable for desktop. Im not sure what I am meant to do ? wait until 5g is installed everywhere? install starlink ? possibly .. Openreach dont deal with plebs so maybe ofcom and an age discrimination case?

Thanks

The FTTC network is not initially built to accommodate every premises connected to a cabinet, because in most cases it won't get close to that and it would be a waste of money. However, there are multiple solutions to full cabinets, and 4 years is frankly ridiculous.

Firstly, each cabinet only starts with maybe one or two line cards, with more added as required - in general the system is designed to anticipate when this is required and plan the capacity upgrade beforehand. This is a fairly straightforward upgrade.

Then, what used to be the second stage when a cabinet became full is to build a second cabinet, which requires substantial work to achieve, along with planning permission which some councils and residents are less than cooperative about.

A more recent and efficient option is to add a pod to the side of the PCP (not the fibre cabinet) which itself houses an additional DSLAM, but shouldn't need planning permission as it's bolted on the side of the existing cabinet and takes power and fibre feeds via the original fibre cabinet. Some PCPs end up with two of these pods. As it happens, at least externally, these pods resemble (or in some cases are identical to) the G.fast pods (Google some pictures if you don't know what I mean).

Not that any of that helps your predicament, but if you know where your cabinet is, have you noticed any additions?

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Had a leaflet drop on doormat from community fibre. 25p/m for 300Mbps is tempting. Just got to find out what their existing based says about their customer service.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information