Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 11 leaks: ISO image, videos, screenshots, sounds

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Windows 11 leaks: ISO image, videos, screenshots, sounds

Its awful. Too much wasted space and that start menu is just rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

They've just taken all the UI dev they did for the now abandoned 10X and stuck it on top of Windows 10. It could have just been a feature update but by calling it Windows 11 they help drive more sales of new PCs. (It probably makes it easier to replace Windows store and drop some older hardware too).

Also I wouldn't get to work up by the look. This isn't the final build.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Not as drastic a change as i feared, at least most of the changes can be easily undone.

Thanks
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    Only had time for a quick glance - doesn't look too radical a departure from the Windows 10 UI - let's hope there's some good stuff under the bonnet to make the upgrade worthwhile.
    Radical enough that it will cause a great deal of anxiety for the million/s of older and more vulnerable people forced online to access public services. Whatever is under the bonnet is probably going to trigger another wave of hardware upgrades and the e-waste that goes with it. With the majority of users only interested in social media, online shopping, zooming, photos and e-mail, whatever this new amazing, awesome tech is, most won't care and it won't apply to them.

Anyone want to estimate the global cost of lost productivity and increased energy consumption from yet another round of pushing icons around the screen?

The Start Menu is like some sort of obsession with them. It was at it's most productive in Win9x/NT4 and has become less useful with each subsequent bout of fiddling. Hmm. Big, high resolution, widescreen monitor and they want to pop-up a hugely distracting panel, filled with widgets no one's interested in, obscuring the Window/s you are trying to work in.

Dear Microsoft, can you please stop hiring bright, young, mobile phone UX designers.

At least in MacOS I can still easily create a hierarchical list of application names, grouped and arranged as I prefer to navigate them. Probably the single reason I use an iMac as my daily.

]If it's a paid-for OS, hopefully there'll be increased respect for users - e.g. not being blasted with advertising at every opportunity (one of the most alarming aspects of using the Windows 10 Home Edition in particular).
    Desktop ads are so last decade. Just collect ever more telemetry, sell to the advertising bureaux and let them push the ads onto your social media feeds and web pages.

On the flip side of this - with Mac OS and Linux continually gaining ground, can Microsoft even justify charging for Windows any more? Or could they even experiment with a GamePass-style model, where your subscription covers differing tiers of access to Windows/Office/Azure/etc?
    Windows has been over-priced at retail for at least 20 years, hidden away behind OEM pricing agreements. Microsoft already sell Windows as a subscription, bundled with some of the Microsoft 365 business packages. Beyond easing license management in very large corporations, it's a difficult sell when PCs are generally sold with an OEM Windows license.

/cynic

Thanks

It'll be full of ads because people don't want to pay for things.

I'd hope there's a paid version too without them, but that'll probably be a subscription.

I'm happy enough with that if they add it onto O365. 6 licenses and 6 for office for £125-£150 a year vs £80 for O365 is fine with me, as long as it includes at tleast the same as 10pro - I need remote desktop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Not as drastic a change as i feared, at least most of the changes can be easily undone.
    What Corky said ..... buy with an added "so far".

It seems pretty clear that what we've been seeing is a carefully orchestrated "leak" designed, in all probability, to test the waters. But that just makes the cynic in me wonder if they're trialling the bits they think we'll like, and keeping the bits we won't like so much quiet, like more "telemetry", subscription model, etc. Time will tell, I guess.

And while I also agree with a fair bit od matts comments above, I would point out I'm one of those "older" users, and at least in terms of Hexus, certainly one of the .... ummm .... more 'vocal' W10 (and W8) critics. Yet, so far, I'm not seeing a lot to dislike in the "leaked" version.

- rounded corners? Pleasant enough, but .... ho-hum. Whatever.
    - Central Mac-alike taskbar? Whatever. And easy to turn off.
    - New tiled panes?Looking pretty good, actually.
    - Dumping live tiles. Hip-hip-hooflippingray. About time, MS.

In short, nothing so far terribly objectionable AND, given the ability to easily tweak and revert, well, if MS had done THAT in W8/W10 I'd have been a hell of a lot less critical. In fact, taht ability, such as with Start menu, to keep it how I wanted it not the live tile cobblers was a large part of my objections.

So .... still awaiting any details of what actually justifies calling it W11 whenall it looks like so far is a pleasant and pretty optional UI tweak.

Which makes the cynic in me really wonder .... what don't they want us to notice? And like I said, time will tell so I'm reserving judgement but so far, even a dyed-in-the-wool old critic like me can't see mcu to get my undergarments in a knot about.

Yet.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Got the Windows 11 Sounds from MajorGeeks. Really like the new sounds. I like the new taskbar location even if it's a ripoff from other OSes. The theme is nice as well. Some of the wallpapers are very nice looking. Since the Windows 11 is still based on Windows 10 though, not really sure why it's getting a number bump. Still wish MS would go back to the naming the OSes instead of using numbers. Windows 11 should of had a name instead.

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy

I wonder if this will be user-friendly enough to tempt me away from Windows 7.... some of the changes in Windows 10 were just too annoying for me, particularly the way that useful items had been siloed into weird places, with new Win10 categories not being adequate so remnants of control panel categories had to remain to hold residual items. If MS Office could also be updated to move away from the simplistic UI with its basic icons that would also be very welcome! Feels like 'my first office suite' these days!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSte View Post
    I wonder if this will be user-friendly enough to tempt me away from Windows 7....
    I doubt it, now we've had the it's all amazing Microsoft spin on the release (Hexus not covering it?) the sordid details are surfacing. Start Menu with cloud integration (whatever that means), no installing/setting up the Home version with a Microsoft account or internet connection, Teams is integrated (hopefully can be removed with powershell), xCloud for cloud gaming integrated (another removal for me).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I doubt it, now we've had the it's all amazing Microsoft spin on the release (Hexus not covering it?) the sordid details are surfacing. Start Menu with cloud integration (whatever that means), no installing/setting up the Home version with a Microsoft account or internet connection, Teams is integrated (hopefully can be removed with powershell), xCloud for cloud gaming integrated (another removal for me).
    Honestly from what I've seen the entire premise behind windows 11 (outside of the making it look a little prettier) is to push the microsoft store and all of microsofts other online/subscription services a bit more 'forcefully'. Now don't get me wrong I don't mind them being given to me as options during install but I want a 'choice' to have them installed.

Basically they've seen Apple and Google getting away with it on mobile so they're doing it on windows too, albeit it with more openness on the store...iirc they no longer have the 'watchers' ensuring they're not abusing monopoly position.

I do think that in windows 12/13 we won't have the option of anything but the store to install stuff though and once that is sorted they'll gradually remove alternative payment options.... one way to 'stop' illegal versions of software and/or malware but at the same time take away a lot of the 'freedom' of windows too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

I do think that in windows 12/13 we won't have the option of anything but the store to install stuff though and once that is sorted they'll gradually remove alternative payment options.... one way to 'stop' illegal versions of software and/or malware but at the same time take away a lot of the 'freedom' of windows too.
    I've long (since the W8 launch) thought that was the direction of travel, but if they do go that far, it spells the final Win death knell for me. Unfortunately, I have a few pieces of software that are Win-only with no Linux versions. Some of those have alternate packages that might do the job, but I'd also be quite happy just sticking with W10 and no net connection for the few packages I still use on Windows (pretty much some photo stuff, and a genealogy program). What I'm not doing is going subscription-model on Windows. I refused to do that for Photoshop (hence ACDSee and Affinity), and refused to do it for Office (hence Libre) and most of everything else either has Linux versions, or suitable alternate software I'd be fairly happy to switch to.

Keeping one machine, fully net-disconnected, would sort me for the few things that do use Win10, and I'd just use one machine, probably a laptop, for the few things (like browsing here) that need to be online. Not much I do does, any more.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Well Windows 11 will run on my PC apparently...

Soooo, what?

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):