• G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Re: Samsung launches Galaxy Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 foldables

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    xCloud works really well on the fold - I use it with a FlyDigi Wee 2T (£30 ish on banggood et al) and it fits in the controller perfectly in full screen mode. Plays well, and despite the borders you do get a boost to screen real estate.
    I'm quite the fan of xCloud - works great for a quick fix of gaming wherever you can park yourself in a comfy chair ;-)

The relative jump in screen sizes is hard to quantify without imagery, so here's something I've sketched out to scale...

http://www.teksploder.com/kultivator/xCloud.png

The aspect ratio of each screen has a massive bearing on how content is constrained - the jump in size from a regular sized smartphone (e.g. the S10) to the Fold 3 is quite modest for the extra outlay. For the same kind of money you're into Surface Pro / iPad Pro territory and both offer a massive jump in view size for xCloud - but are, of course, far less pocketable.

(iPad Pro 12.9 offers approximately the same overall scale as the Surface Pro - just with slightly taller black bars padding the gameplay area)
    Last edited by KultiVator; 12-08-2021 at 05:31 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

Ttaskmaster (13-08-2021)

Thanks

That's an awful lot of money I could use on more important things in life. I'm happy with my budget phone of £100, it make phone calls, which is all I really need while out and about.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DOA_Draven View Post
    That's an awful lot of money I could use on more important things in life. I'm happy with my budget phone of £100, it make phone calls, which is all I really need while out and about.
    Yeah, but so long as enough people buy this then the features and tech will eventually filter down to us peasants... just not so many that companies think charging car money for a phone is normalised.

Thanks

Can't lie it's definitely very cool and desirable but, having thought about it, nearly 2 grand is approaching silly money for what it is. It just seems to me even though it's the third gen, the technology still just doesn't seem quite mature enough yet given the limitations that are still there i.e. the crease down the middle of the screen, the short battery life, the thickness and the exorbitant price. When using it folded (which is probably most of the time for me come to think of it) it's essentially a gimped phone with double the thickness. The Fold 2 was a big improvement on the Fold 1 and I was hoping the Fold 3 would bring another big leap but it doesn't seem to have materially improved that much from the Fold 2 in terms of size, screen and overall usability.

Perhaps with breakthroughs in battery and screen tech we will start to see all day battery life, a much sleeker profile and more durability etc along with a lower price that would truly bring a folding phone/tablet into the mainstream. To me it still feels like an expensive niche product for enthusiasts that comes with a lot of drawbacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information