Thread: Microsoft releases Windows 11 build 22000.132 ISO images

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft releases Windows 11 build 22000.132 ISO images

Meanwhile, price hikes for Office 365/Microsoft 365 subscriptions are revealed.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft releases Windows 11 build 22000.132 ISO images

Yep. Definitely time to move over to Linux....

Thanks

It was a given that at some point they'd increase prices, that's the entire plan behind subscription model, get you locked in so you have no choice but to suck up the price increases.

I never have and never will like the idea of subscription software for long term use, a quick 'one month' use it's fine for but I'd prefer to own my software outright.

Also that list of '24 apps' is kind of a bit misleading, visio for example is just a viewer unless you pay more (up to £11.30 a month). Many of the other apps are existing free apps they've just bundled in the package, some even overlap 'jobs'.

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-08-2021)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

These "extra apps" are bloat for the vast majority of people. They aren't a value add, they get in the way. I use Word, Excel, Publisher and Powerpoint and that's it. The rest just get in my way.

Unfortunately, for me and my wife, time is money. I need to guarantee compatibility with other systems without faffing around. I'm well aware that MS have made compatibility issues with OpenOffice, etc without those issues needing to exist but the source of the issues isn't relevant. Pragmatically I can't spend ages on a presentation and find it just doesn't work properly when I plug it into someone else's AV system and the same goes for spreadsheets - they just HAVE to work how I designed them. Anything else risks data integrity issues.

Most of the issues I've faced are aesthetic, but enough to mean I can't risk using anything other than what everyone else is using. It's VERY annoying, especially as I know full well it's done intentionally to have the exact effect it is having.

EDIT - the other, practical, consideration is that finding out how to do something with Office software is far quicker and easier as there are numerous sources and well written guides. Whilst this isn't so much an issue for official documentation, it does limit finding more creative ways of doing things or shortcuts to doing them. That being said, open source software means people who find real annoyances with the software can either submit a request for a feature change or just code the thing if they're able.

Thanks

Open source all we need!

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm increasingly having to rely on 3rd party software to restore features MS is removing with every new version of Windows. This direction they are going of add one feature remove 3 features is eventually going to force people to move to other operating systems surely.

I'm not a big fan of Linux but I'd be using it right now if it wasn't for games and a few other critical apps that have no Linux equivalent. Guess I'm stuck on 10 til they end support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sinhaomar View Post
    Open source all we need!
    Most of all we need, sure. Not quite all. Not for me, anyway, or not without a LOT of time and effort converting data. For instance, I have a lot of stuff in my genealogy software and while there is an export/import process, it's pretty well known for not taking all the supplemental bits between packages, like photos, scans of documents, etc. Besides which, I spent enough time validating and evaluating various packages before buying the one I want to use. So use it, I will.

Maybe I upgrade to W11. That decision gets made only after final code, and when I know exactly what's involved. If not, I just stick to W10 and when support ends, take that machine off the network, onto an air-gapped one.

But it's certainly true that you can set up an open source system with highly competent open versions of virtually all major softwre categories. There are also a lot of very good commercial but way cheaper packages for most market leader packages. For instance, I dumped Lightroom and Photoshop because of Adobe's subscription model (yes, I know Lightroom isn't, at least not yet). One (free) option was, say, DarkTable and Gimp, and I looked long and hard and ended up with ACDSee Ultimate and Affinity Photo. So far, no regrets .... except needing Windows. But I also use a variety of other excellent software that's either open source, or free for my usage class, incuding Libre instaed of Office. I do take the point about those needing compatibility. Been there, done that, got the bite marks to prove it. But these days, I just need to be compatible with me, and occasionally, a few close friends and family. Libre does me fine. But if you're stuck due to needing guaranteed compatibilty, sadly, not much can be done about that.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    Yep. Definitely time to move over to Linux....
    Have fun. Bye bye. See you again soon. x

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chockimon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7-3770k (4200mhz)
      • Memory:
      • GSKILL 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 6TB WD, 1x 1TB CT000MX Crucial SSD, 3x Samsung 250gb EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GIGABYTE RTX 2700 8GB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR 800W
      • Case:
      • ZALMAN 11 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • WIN XP, 7, 8.1, 10, Ubuntu, MAC OS X
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL
      • Internet:
      • 65MB Sky Broadband NETGEAR ROUTER

I wouldn't mind trying this, but I'm not going to upgrade my entire computer RTX 2070 (i7-3770K) just to use a new OS that's not much different to Windows 10.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chockimon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7-3770k (4200mhz)
      • Memory:
      • GSKILL 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 6TB WD, 1x 1TB CT000MX Crucial SSD, 3x Samsung 250gb EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GIGABYTE RTX 2700 8GB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR 800W
      • Case:
      • ZALMAN 11 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • WIN XP, 7, 8.1, 10, Ubuntu, MAC OS X
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL
      • Internet:
      • 65MB Sky Broadband NETGEAR ROUTER

I wouldn't mind trying this, but I'm not going to upgrade my entire computer RTX 2070 (i7-3770K) just to use a new OS that's not much different from Windows 10. Out of curiosity, are these preview builds fully upgradeable or will you require a full install for the final version?

Thread Information