• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

Re: Three UK announces £2 a day EU roaming charge

Quote Originally Posted by 567 View Post
    What complete nonsense! I'm guessing you keep your head in the sand in relation to the Mountain of problems in the 27 Member States and Euro. There has been many predictions from the Remain side that have been proven wrong since the UK decided to leave the EU in 2016. How sad that you can't get over a referendum result from 5 years ago. I don't know how Hexus allows you to spread defamation online. I'm guessing there is no moderators on this site like other sites. Finally, if you want to use your three contract then roaming is still free to use in Republic of Ireland and Isle of Man. By Three charging a fee to roam in other Countries out the EU (£5 per day) then has nothing to do with Brexit. Three could have just charged a fee to roam in the EU and remain free for other Countries outside the EU however decided not to. Therefore there is more to their decision than due to Brexit.
    You might want to re-evaluate your life choices there bud, What you just posted shows a complete disconnect from reality.

This isn't a brexit thread so I'll give you a chance to reconsider your comments and if they actually contribute to the thread.

2. Received thanks from:

Ttaskmaster (13-09-2021)

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Best deal for low usage I've got is £6 a month for 4gb data, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts. That's on virgin which IIIRC is an EE based MVNO.

4. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (11-09-2021)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    ... yet for some reason the call quality remains hideous and signal strength is never more than 25%, despite us having 900Mbps full FTTP.
    I guess that is the phone, I find WiFI calling on Three has been excellent (my broadband is Zen VSDL at about 70Mbps so nothing special these days and nothing to do with Three).

Three used to do a WiFi calling feature on their app. That was really bad, poor quality and not reliable. I had to turn that off on my old phone.

But the modern Voice over WiFi is a high definition voice system, so quality should be spot on and certainly is for me. AIUI the technology is based on 4G VoLTE and is built into recent Android versions so should be available on phones made in about the last 3 years.
    Note that VoWiFi allows you to get text messages as well.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

It's like we're stepping back a decade into needing to pick up a local SIM whenever you're in another country for any reasonable amount of time.

Shame. The convenience was useful whilst it lasted and it cut down on pointless waste from piles of dead SIM cards over time!
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    £2 a day considering I pay £10 a month just doesn't make sense. Second sim slots is becoming more common in phones so £10 for a month with a local sim compared to £14 for the pleasure of using your existing contact for a week. Plus wifi when you reach your destination as metnioned.

Roaming with Three was a real convenience and one reason I was with them for a while. America, Sri Lanka and a few European holidays was well worth a small premium on a contract for a few years when I did that sort of thing.
    Although TBF,a mate used Three in Sri Lanka a few years ago,and they seemed to use on of the networks which didn't have as good coverage. Luckily though data is very cheap over there!

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I guess that is the phone, I find WiFI calling on Three has been excellent (my broadband is Zen VSDL at about 70Mbps so nothing special these days and nothing to do with Three).

...the modern Voice over WiFi is a high definition voice system, so quality should be spot on and certainly is for me.

...VoWiFi allows you to get text messages as well.
    @DancesWithUnix - That's been my experience too... I don't get the best mobile signal at home with EE, so actually turn off the 4G signal altogether and go WiFi-only for calls and texts.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    @DancesWithUnix - That's been my experience too... I don't get the best mobile signal at home with EE, so actually turn off the 4G signal altogether and go WiFi-only for calls and texts. You just have to remember to re-enable the cellular radio when hitting the great outdoors.
    In my experience it will default to WiFi if it's better then the cellular signal.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    In my experience it will default to WiFi if it's better then the cellular signal.
    Mine too - but if you know your reception is flaky at home, turning off the radio helps eek out more battery life per charge and it's one less source of radiation about your person ;-)
    Last edited by KultiVator; 11-09-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post
    Do you paperchase want to think about your comments again and if they actually help the thread move forward or are they just reacting to a suspected bot/troll ?
    I looked and I dont see how its offensive, he could prove its not a bot and therefore I would recind my claim he is a bot.

If he was not a bot then he would (hopefully) come back with the legitmate arguments that came for pro brexit.

Seemed like a harmless reply to me but I definitely forgot to add the bit of discussion for my view on it so I guess perhaps I should have double checked I added it before submitting.

I dont see how people can claim this isnt related to brexit when this is one of the specific impacts of leaving the EU.... its legit one of the many negatives of brexit.

I definitely made use of the roaming system when three first added it which was great and its saved me a chunk of change over the years but alas now this is no more and I will just have to pay yet more living fees just to do what I did before, I am still yet to encounter a single benefit of leaving the EU which is unfortunate as I would love to have been told its ok brexit was actually great here is what is benefiting you now.

I admit its VERY hard to not keep going back to brexit when things like this keep coming up, how else can people be educated on the fact that the brexit campaign was all full of lies and that those who voted for it either wanted it or were entirely misinformed if we all just zip up about any further negative news? If we all stop talking about it then people will just "forget" that this was caused by brexit. In this same logic we may as well just not report any stories as it can remind us of brexit.

Unless you just meant it should be in a seperate thread in which case maybe its better to have an automod pin a brexit thread to reply to immediately rather than the article .

Edit: Also I would really like to point out I am not angry and that post definitely wasnt meant to imply anger so I am not sure if your comment was aimed at me or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

12. Received thanks from:

cheesemp (13-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    For a start, if you think that is defamation, you don't understand what defamation is. Misinformation? That could be argued, but argued both ways. Defamation, no.
    He was referring to the implication that brexit voters are racist.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    I looked and I dont see how its offensive, he could prove its not a bot and therefore I would recind my claim he is a bot.

If he was not a bot then he would (hopefully) come back with the legitmate arguments that came for pro brexit.

Seemed like a harmless reply to me but I definitely forgot to add the bit of discussion for my view on it so I guess perhaps I should have double checked I added it before submitting.

I dont see how people can claim this isnt related to brexit when this is one of the specific impacts of leaving the EU.... its legit one of the many negatives of brexit.

I definitely made use of the roaming system when three first added it which was great and its saved me a chunk of change over the years but alas now this is no more and I will just have to pay yet more living fees just to do what I did before, I am still yet to encounter a single benefit of leaving the EU which is unfortunate as I would love to have been told its ok brexit was actually great here is what is benefiting you now.

I admit its VERY hard to not keep going back to brexit when things like this keep coming up, how else can people be educated on the fact that the brexit campaign was all full of lies and that those who voted for it either wanted it or were entirely misinformed if we all just zip up about any further negative news? If we all stop talking about it then people will just "forget" that this was caused by brexit. In this same logic we may as well just not report any stories as it can remind us of brexit.

Unless you just meant it should be in a seperate thread in which case maybe its better to have an automod pin a brexit thread to reply to immediately rather than the article .

Edit: Also I would really like to point out I am not angry and that post definitely wasnt meant to imply anger so I am not sure if your comment was aimed at me or not.
    Sorry to derail this folks slightly:

It wasn't a comment on being offensive, it was comment on what you actually posted didn't really relate directly to three putting roaming charges back in, if you had followed up with what you have now posted it would not have drawn my attention but all you did was react to a bot/suspect troll (in a flippant / throw away comment moment); in this instance you should have raised this directly with the mod team to investigate, don't feed the trolls.

Re "anger" its not directly aimed at you Hicks but at a wider audience, sorry I wasn't 100% clear on that.

Brexit is a very contentious issue and it just imho acts like a lighting rod for every little grievance someone might have at that time and we have seen time and time again it just spirals down into mud slinging and this is not what HeXus is about.

Anyway if you want to discuss further PM's are always open and once again if you see something on HeXus that you think shouldn't be here; report it, don't react to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post

With my admin mindset in mind, despite having zero such role now, can I comment on that? Personal view only.

That personal view is yes, it indisputably is a consequence of Brexit. As pro-Brexit as I am, I think only a zealot or an idiot could pretend that either staying in or getting out was entirely positive. It was always more nuanced that that.

However ... the thread is about roaming charges, not about the now-decided (at least, in the short or medium term) issue of Brexit, even if that's what caused the change. Personally, I see no issue with a snipe at Brexit having resulted in the changes, though making that snipe was pretty predictably going to cause a reaction from someone and we risk ending up with a thread arguing Brexit, not talking about roaming charges ... which is why personally I'd rather the original snipe hadn't been made.

Also personally, and I've no idea what the mod team think of it, I'd suggest if people want to rehash the rights and wrongs of Brexit based on roaming charge changes, why not start a thread about it? Good luck with it, because I doubt it'll get much traction, but I personally see no harm in someone trying. This just isn't a thread about Brexit.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks

Oh wow! Looks like I created a ruckus on this comment section. I didn’t want to mention Brexit however I was annoyed with people like Darkedge who calls 17.4 Million people who voted for Brexit racist.

To the Hexus Moderators I would like to retract what I said in my original comment regarding Moderation however I stand by the rest of my original comment.

To Hicks12 I’m not a Brexit spam bot and the answer to your question is 568.

To Apex I know this is not a Brexit thread however I was responding to Darkedge. I believe that my original comment isn’t a complete disconnect from reality. Maybe other commenters on this thread should re-evaluate their life choices? I don’t know why I’m particularly being singled out when other people have equally distasteful comments.

I’m not a troll because I didn’t intentionally want to disrupt this online thread. Finally, Politics should be left of this website and should be discussed on other platforms. No, a separate Brexit thread shouldn’t be required on Hexus threads. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 567 View Post
    ... however I was annoyed with people like Darkedge who calls 17.4 Million people who voted for Brexit racist.

No, he didn't. As someone who is very pro-Brexit, I have been called that many times ... though anyone who did it on here found out it was a mistake while I was still an admin. That is a rule breach and I wouldn't have stood for it. But Darkedge didn't say that. He said it just was to make some rich people richer and to "pacify some racists". Note the "some racists". Unless you're claiming none of those 17.4m people are racists, and that would take some proving, he could be (and I have no doubt is) right that some are, and so can reasonably claim "some" are. "Some" could mean three, or 15m, or whatever. But no doubt, some are. I'd also point out that saying it's "just" about those two things is categorically wrong, not least because that wasn't why I voted that way, meaning it wasn't "just" about that.

And therein lies one reason there's a backlash. Most long-term members here, in both camps, are bored to the back teeth with the arguments that went on, and on, and on.

An example is that "defamation" remark. That is a serious concern for any journalist or publisher, and one that can land them in extremely expensive legal trouble. I had fairly lengthy discussions about exactly that with the owner of this site, because it was an issue we took seriously. That wasn't defamation.

This is what happens in Brexit arguments. Both sides tend to make sweeping statements, neither are correct to do so, and most people end up bored rigid with it wrecking threads, because it happened countless times. Being bored to tears dealing with it is a large part of why I stood down as an admin - I'd had enough. As I also have with this thread going on about it, so it's my last remark on it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

18. Received thanks from:

frozen-monkey (13-09-2021),kompukare (12-09-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

For real??? You seriously think that this decision by companies that are out to make a profits for shareholders isn't due to Brexit and the withdrawal from the EU regulations relating to roaming charges that has now enabled them to do this? Bet you believe anything that's written on the side of a bus as well

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Also,WRT to Three - even before the relevant EU regulations happened,they offered free roaming on the Continent IIRC unlike other companies. So at least in the case of Three,if they can offer free roaming elsewhere still,this at least in their case seems more about making a quick buck(IMHO).
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-09-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information