Thread: Microsoft now allows all users to remove account passwords

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft now allows all users to remove account passwords

Instead you can use the Microsoft Authenticator app, Windows Hello, a security key, or SMS.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft now allows all users to remove account passwords

How about if you could have no password, no SMS, no security - if you desired to.

And also if you could change your E-mail also - if you desired to.

And how about if there were No requirement for have a specific length and syntax for your password - that would be Nice.

Thanks

Nice move MS but most of us don't encrypt our HDDs so when the laptop bag disappears on our way to work we panic. Security is very complicated. These smiling companies need to come up with real user friendly solutions.

Thanks

I get the idea behind this, however if I went passwordless - does that mean if I lose my phone I'd be locked out of my Xbox, OneDrive, Outlook and various other Microsoft services (and potentially my Windows PC)?

Thanks

All well and good but everything is then tied to your Microsoft account, which they may or may not decide to charge a fee for in the future, or just arbitrarily ban your account on some game for using a trainer which then wrecks your whole account and you're locked out of it all.

Not just a MS problem as google, apple, facebook and amazon all the same. Bloke only posted on r/Ireland reddit couple weeks ago that he lost his gmail account of 10 years because he lost the head with commenting to some right wing troll on a youtube video in the comments, Google perma banned his youtube and his whole google account, including his email and locking him out of his android phone etc.,

Be very, very wary of putting all your eggs in one basket with these big corporations, none of them can be trusted.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Good move MS - I've been working with authenticator as a default for a while now, and I find it strangely liberating to not have to type in a password, or trigger my password manager to log in.

Its also been useful to know when my account is under attack - I know an old password of mine is out there and people try my microsoft account every so often - now I get a notification when someone tries it, and I can easily deny and alert MS in the same click.

It's not "truely" passwordless as you can still recover your account via security key or via proving who you are to MS but i'll be enabling this feature.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    All well and good but everything is then tied to your Microsoft account, which they may or may not decide to charge a fee for in the future, or just arbitrarily ban your account on some game for using a trainer which then wrecks your whole account and you're locked out of it all.

Not just a MS problem as google, apple, facebook and amazon all the same. Bloke only posted on r/Ireland reddit couple weeks ago that he lost his gmail account of 10 years because he lost the head with commenting to some right wing troll on a youtube video in the comments, Google perma banned his youtube and his whole google account, including his email and locking him out of his android phone etc.,

Be very, very wary of putting all your eggs in one basket with these big corporations, none of them can be trusted.
    They can if you stick to the terms of service. Don't use "trainers" (they're actually called cheats BTW,) or "lose your head" and say something worthy of a ban.

It's quite hard to get banned from their platforms as they want as many people as possible on them and to spend as little as possible monitoring abuse of them. So as a rule you either have to do something very serious or do it very often.

I would agree its wise to have more than 1 email provider etc though.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Good move MS - I've been working with authenticator as a default for a while now, and I find it strangely liberating to not have to type in a password, or trigger my password manager to log in.

Its also been useful to know when my account is under attack - I know an old password of mine is out there and people try my microsoft account every so often - now I get a notification when someone tries it, and I can easily deny and alert MS in the same click.

It's not "truely" passwordless as you can still recover your account via security key or via proving who you are to MS but i'll be enabling this feature.
    I agree it is nice not having to input a password. I hope more companies start supporting this type of sign in. I have preordered a solokeys V2 opensource security key and will be using this as 2fa for my password manager as well as for my other accounts where possible. I have ordered 2 so if one fails i won;t be locked out.

It annoys me that some websites still requite you to set text message as backup for 2fa as well as an app or security key. I once got caught out by amazon asking me to add my phone number to sent text messages for delivery notifications however this also defaulted my 2fa to sms! I swiftly removed this and went back to code generator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    I don't understand what point is here... MS are only offering this as a solution for MS services, which are already tied to your MS account. They are changing how you access your account, not how your account functions.

Thread Information