Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,684
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Dr Su said that manufacturing output planned last year will start to make an impact.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • LiGhTfasT's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 NEO
      • CPU:
      • E6300 C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 GOLD GX XTC DUAL CHANNEL
      • Storage:
      • 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600gt
      • PSU:
      • 700w
      • Case:
      • Antec three hundred
      • Operating System:
      • 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" 1080p toshiba tv
      • Internet:
      • 60mb virgin

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Well its not like they'd dare say otherwise...

  3. #3
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    212 times in 148 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    I'd heard the reason the automotive industry had such supply issues was down to them using old process chip tech and being unwilling to move to newer small chip tech due to the costs involved in redeveloping well tested products. I've no idea how true this is but if it is having more high end chip production won't help the car manufactures. (Supposedly Tesla avoided this as rather than having lots of specialist chips they just use two central Nvidia CPUs in a fail safe failover setup.)
    Trust

    Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,369
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    303 times in 220 posts

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I'd heard the reason the automotive industry had such supply issues was down to them using old process chip tech and being unwilling to move to newer small chip tech due to the costs involved in redeveloping well tested products. I've no idea how true this is but if it is having more high end chip production won't help the car manufactures. (Supposedly Tesla avoided this as rather than having lots of specialist chips they just use two central Nvidia CPUs in a fail safe failover setup.)
    That and the entire automotive industry operates in Just In Time manufacturing mode so that means they have an expectation they can just snap fingers and have the product. Whereas with chip production, it is certainly not a snap finger process and it is also certainly isn't something where you go "TSMC, you're not fulfilling our needs immediately, we're taking our design to Samsung". It takes many many months to retool a design if the comparable node on the alternate supplier is not cross compatible.

    So now the automotive industry have had to wake up to the fact that they have painted themselves into a corner and are quite aggressively trying to get out of it.

    Edit: it would make me laugh if we had an Audi/Fiat/Ford chip fabrication plant xD

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,615
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked
    226 times in 207 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    That and the entire automotive industry operates in Just In Time manufacturing mode so that means they have an expectation they can just snap fingers and have the product. Whereas with chip production, it is certainly not a snap finger process and it is also certainly isn't something where you go "TSMC, you're not fulfilling our needs immediately, we're taking our design to Samsung". It takes many many months to retool a design if the comparable node on the alternate supplier is not cross compatible.

    So now the automotive industry have had to wake up to the fact that they have painted themselves into a corner and are quite aggressively trying to get out of it.

    Edit: it would make me laugh if we had an Audi/Fiat/Ford chip fabrication plant xD
    Bosch recently opened a new one in Dresden, presumably near enough to GF (ex-AMD) plant.

    Cheap at round $1 billion but then while it is 300mm it's only 65nm:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ication_plants

    Unsure, but would suspect a lot of that is dedicated to car, power and analogue stuff.

    About time someone realised that dogmatic JIT can get really expensive, but instead once again car manufacturers expect government to rescue them from their own incompetence.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    About time someone realised that dogmatic JIT can get really expensive, but instead once again car manufacturers expect government to rescue them from their own incompetence.
    It's a little bit more complex than that. The automotive supply chain is geared towards minimising waste and storage, because they're expensive on-going costs. Supply-side risks are normally modelled as one-off costs, because normally, they are. What we've hit is a situation where supply-side risks have become ongoing, and that's thrown everything out of whack - not just JIT supply chains. A case in point would be the GPU market.

    Incidentally, due to previous experience with earthquakes in Japan, Toyota did have a substantial stockpile going into the current situation. It did buy them about six months or so, but that was it. So I'm not at all clear that there would be any preparations that could have circumvented what's happening now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    34 times in 26 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    I would believe it if it was Lisa Simpson that said it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,615
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked
    226 times in 207 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by habilain View Post
    It's a little bit more complex than that. The automotive supply chain is geared towards minimising waste and storage, because they're expensive on-going costs. Supply-side risks are normally modelled as one-off costs, because normally, they are. What we've hit is a situation where supply-side risks have become ongoing, and that's thrown everything out of whack - not just JIT supply chains. A case in point would be the GPU market.

    Incidentally, due to previous experience with earthquakes in Japan, Toyota did have a substantial stockpile going into the current situation. It did buy them about six months or so, but that was it. So I'm not at all clear that there would be any preparations that could have circumvented what's happening now.
    Ironic that most companies are so keen on JIT because they are trying dogmatically copy Toyota but Toyota are far more pragmatic and actually do keep a stockpile.

    Current pandemic and other issues are of course too long to stockpile for, but my objection to those who blindly follow JIT dogma is that transport costs and energy usage is wasteful and JIT seems to almost assume a $10 per barrel oil price. Transport cost vs speed has a lot to do with the environmental impact as slow but cheap tends to use the least fuel.

    Far to little gets transported by sea, barge or train in the UK. HGV is quicker while there were enough drivers, but slower and more efficient would a good thing to aim for.

  9. Received thanks from:

    CAT-THE-FIFTH (29-09-2021)

  10. #9
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,584
    Thanks
    3,746
    Thanked
    5,049 times in 3,903 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Ironic that most companies are so keen on JIT because they are trying dogmatically copy Toyota but Toyota are far more pragmatic and actually do keep a stockpile.

    Current pandemic and other issues are of course too long to stockpile for, but my objection to those who blindly follow JIT dogma is that transport costs and energy usage is wasteful and JIT seems to almost assume a $10 per barrel oil price. Transport cost vs speed has a lot to do with the environmental impact as slow but cheap tends to use the least fuel.

    Far to little gets transported by sea, barge or train in the UK. HGV is quicker while there were enough drivers, but slower and more efficient would a good thing to aim for.
    We haven't invested enough in enlarging our ports for years - I have said this a few times on this forum. Just look at the container handling capacity we have compared to Holland,Belgium,Germany,etc. The reason we have such a dependence on HGV drivers from the EU,is because we rely on a lot of re-export of products from EU ports.

  11. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 2 posts

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    From what I've read it's the automotive industry's own fault. Once the pandemic hit and countries started to shut down they panicked and cancelled chip orders so as not to get get stuck with huge inventory piles. By the time they realised the shut downs were not dampening demand for cars it was too late. Remember we're talking wafers here not necessarily just chip size. The fabs were able to redistribute their wafer allocation to other buyers and by the time the car industry tried to order again it was too late.

  12. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: AMD CEO: Global chip shortage severity to ease in H2 2022

    Sure, Lisa. Also, magic real, the world isn't falling apart and the military industrial complex doesn't own most of the planet.

    What else?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •