Thread: Online music battle hots up

Thanks

Online music battle hots up

Two more companies are entering the DRM filled world of music downloads. Both HMV and Virgin are looking to eat into the market share of Apple's iTunes. As of today, HMV has launched its HMV Digital service, which could have lower prices than what Apple is charging through iTunes.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/news/ne...lld19JRD0xNTUy
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Its using DRM, IMO im getting screwed regardless of the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    ditto what agent said.. for the same price as a d/l album i can get a cd copy fomr amazon or cd-wow with a cd .. case lyrics sheet and non-drm lossless files.. no contest (unless its a copopy protected bmg album which i don;'t buy on principal) until non-drm music is availble online i will only ever use emusic.com for occasional songs.. drm= sux also the faq's don;t tell you the bit-rate for d/l's i suspect it is 128.. ok for your crowded bus journey but not for listening though decent speakers at home ect...
    Last edited by alterion; 05-09-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    AMD3000+ ATIX800XL + GBNF44x mobo.. all at stock because they're good enough atm + CA A1 amp-->Mission 73S Loigtech MX1000 + 1GB ram + 1/3 TB HD array
    Wintendo XP + Linux (when it works) .. just incase you were wondering

Thanks
    i really dont get why people download and pay. why? GET THE FING CD
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Why people pay and download

Because they:
    • Don't want to buy the entire CD (they only want particular songs)
    • Prefer to have the music on their computer (rather than ripping a CD)--it's easier to manage their collections and transfer to other devices
    • It's more convenient than going to the High Street (immediate gratification)
    • Sometimes it's easier to sample and find new music online than in a bricks-and-mortar store

That being said, many current downloaders still buy CDs--especially of their favourite artists/bands.

A question this raises is, how long will CDs be around? Just as vinyl replaced phonographs, and tapes replaced vinyl, and CDs replaced tapes...will digital music replace CDs? Will the concept of an "album" still be around in 10 years?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    as long as it's all DRM ****e, it's not 'hotting up' in the slightest, it's a lukewarm mess.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    *well known illegal russian website* anybody?
    Last edited by directhex; 06-09-2005 at 11:18 AM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    I read about this in the Observer on sunday. Some places doing tracks for 39p. About bloody time for a price war, online down loads are a complete rip off.

Oh, and CD's will be around for years to come. DRM, low bit rates and the massive number of people without access to any kind of broadband service will make sure of that. The bell of doom is far from ringing for CD's. I just can't see the direct comparison people make - it's like saying cheap portable TV's will see the end of people buying high quality wide screens. Dropping CD's for a technology that offers lower sound quality and restricted usage (i can play my CD anywhere) would be an insane step backwards. I think we are more likely to see increasing use of better optical based recordings, such as Super CD's, Audio DVD's and Audio recorded on the new high capasity DVD's such as Blue Ray, which are making headway (although the votes still out on if these new technologies will suceed) and provide massivly higher quality recordings and mutilchannel etc. I think downloads we simply compement current and future CD and DVD technologies for many many years. Until virtually all homes have massive pipes capably of quickly downloading lossless quality tracks (dont forget there are thusands of home that cant get any form of ADSL at all here) and storeage (flash, HDD) gets cheaper and much much larger i can't see it any other way. You also have to take into account the countries that dont have many PC owners, let alone broadband, will drive CD sales for years to come. But CD sales will drop here as downloads go up a bit of course.

Oh, and another thing i hate about downloads which people often don't mention, is the ability to sell them on. I love being able to pick up bargins on ebay, car boot sales and CD markets etc. As do I like selling CD's i dont want anymore to trade for new ones. Takes a bit of the fun out of it for me. But don't get me wrong, i love downloading. It has it place and it is great. All my fav stufff will be on CD though too
    Last edited by autopilot; 06-09-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Friday 4th March 2005 prime-tass.ru published that the Moscow prosecutors rejected to initiate a criminal case against *well known illegal russian website*

"Moscow, March 4. /Prime-Tass/. The Prosecutor of the Moscow’s South-Western district rejected to initiate a criminal case against distribution of music recordings by *well known illegal russian website* Internet resource. The Prime-TASS was informed of this by an informed source.

The writ about copyright violations by *well known illegal russian website* owners was submitted to the Prosecutor’s Office of Moscow’s South-Western administrative district on February 24, 2005 on behalf of the International Federation for Phonogram Industry /IFPI/.

During the investigation the Prosecutors Office found that the *well known illegal russian website* owners in fact did distribute music recordings via the online resource. However, the holder of right for these recordings did not authorize to distribute them for commercial purposes.

At the same time, the Prosecutor found that the Russian Law on copyright does not qualify Internet in legal terms, whereas the authors’ property rights are extended to distribution of copies of their works by any means. Along with that, the Prosecutor says that from judicial point of view, distribution of any works via Internet is impossible because it would be a digital transfer, whereas the current Russian legislation necessitates corporeal transfer of works only.

Besides that, the Prosecutor concluded that, distribution of works does not result in making a new copy of the work, but only creates conditions for being utilized by end consumer.

On these grounds, the Prosecutor’s Office in Moscow’s South-Western district rejected initiation of a criminal case against the Internet resource officials due to absence of corpus delicti.."

So, even tho i'm not allowed to say it, currently it's not illegal at all I understand the reason why it's censored here by the mods tho so i'm not being awkward (sorry) but just pointing out that it exists legally in Russia right now.

*well known illegal russian website* = well known legal one, at least for now

Have to say too they've got the right idea - multiple format support, multiple bitrates, good pricing, no DRM.
    Last edited by dangel; 06-09-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by dangel
    Friday 4th March 2005 prime-tass.ru published that the Moscow prosecutors rejected to initiate a criminal case against *well known illegal russian website*

"Moscow, March 4. /Prime-Tass/. The Prosecutor of the Moscow’s South-Western district rejected to initiate a criminal case against distribution of music recordings by *well known illegal russian website* Internet resource. The Prime-TASS was informed of this by an informed source.

The writ about copyright violations by *well known illegal russian website* owners was submitted to the Prosecutor’s Office of Moscow’s South-Western administrative district on February 24, 2005 on behalf of the International Federation for Phonogram Industry /IFPI/.

During the investigation the Prosecutors Office found that the *well known illegal russian website* owners in fact did distribute music recordings via the online resource. However, the holder of right for these recordings did not authorize to distribute them for commercial purposes.

At the same time, the Prosecutor found that the Russian Law on copyright does not qualify Internet in legal terms, whereas the authors’ property rights are extended to distribution of copies of their works by any means. Along with that, the Prosecutor says that from judicial point of view, distribution of any works via Internet is impossible because it would be a digital transfer, whereas the current Russian legislation necessitates corporeal transfer of works only.

Besides that, the Prosecutor concluded that, distribution of works does not result in making a new copy of the work, but only creates conditions for being utilized by end consumer.

On these grounds, the Prosecutor’s Office in Moscow’s South-Western district rejected initiation of a criminal case against the Internet resource officials due to absence of corpus delicti.."

So, even tho i'm not allowed to say it, currently it's not illegal at all I understand the reason why it's censored here by the mods tho so i'm not being awkward (sorry) but just pointing out that it exists legally in Russia right now.

*well known illegal russian website* = well known legal one, at least for now

Have to say too they've got the right idea - multiple format support, multiple bitrates, good pricing, no DRM.
    it's only legal because russian law has a loophole over trading warez over the net? pretty hairy

and, i might note, only (barely) legal for use by russians in russia, NOT for export globally. all *yaddah yaddah* have is a license to do radio broadcasts of opera, and some legal loopholes

Thanks
    CDs will last, purely because of the amount of investment record companies have in CD pressing facilities... hmmmm.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    it's only legal because russian law has a loophole over trading warez over the net? pretty hairy

and, i might note, only (barely) legal for use by russians in russia, NOT for export globally. all *yaddah yaddah* have is a license to do radio broadcasts of opera, and some legal loopholes
    Hairy it might be, but illegal it isn't - I'd like to see the MI in the UK prosecute someone from downloading from there. The global issue is a problem with the internet in general - it's much harder for companies to control distribution than it was - regionalisation and other price fixing methods are much more difficult to rationalise and local law varies so wildy country to country let alone continent to continent.

Talking of illegal - how long before Apple's in court over violating european trade law?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    CDs will last, purely because of the amount of investment record companies have in CD pressing facilities... hmmmm.

That and it's going to be very hard to convince us all to buy new players isn't it? Whatever happened to DVD Audio gents?

Thread Information