Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symantec vs. Spybot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    The concept of norton protected recycled bin is more than just a simple kernel mode hook (often called a 'rootkit'). So i think its a bit unfair to comment about that.
    Ok, I take the point. But, to be perfectly honest, I would prefer if the software I used didn't make any hooks on my kernel, especially when it doesn't exactly make its activities obvious. Whether that is or is not nominally a "rootkit" wasn't really my main notion.
    Synergy6

Thanks
    • just_laze's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R v1.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E5200
      • Memory:
      • 4 x Corsair 1GB 6400C4 800MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB x2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9600GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan T430-U15 430W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master ATC-201B SXT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG L227WT
      • Internet:
      • 8Mbit
    I am a particular fan of Avast! Anti-Virus co-existing with Spybot S&D, two great pieces of software both of which are free.

Symantec are playing Bully.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Synergy6
    Ok, I take the point. But, to be perfectly honest, I would prefer if the software I used didn't make any hooks on my kernel, especially when it doesn't exactly make its activities obvious. Whether that is or is not nominally a "rootkit" wasn't really my main notion.
    Synergy6
    Un-install your anti-virus, some software firewalls (well all actually as an 'NDIS' filter is a kernel mode hook).

When something wants admin rights to install, except it to play with system features. A rootkit is nothing to be concerned about, no more so than regular kernelmode/usermode code, if the code's well written, and not doing nasty things, your fine.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    I find it incredible that a big company like Symantec has felt the need to be hostile towards Patrick when all he does is make a great little program that he doesn't demand any money for (please donate a couple of quid to help cover his costs). That fact that NAV (and most other Symantec apps) has become less effective with each revision, goes to show that they are not coming up with the goods... Eset's Nod32 (also available in business/corporate form) is a far superior product. Does what it says with the minimum of fuss - recommend it. End of.

If Patrick is reading this, then can I suggest you start a petition that can be put forward to any relevent governing body to stop this madness. Anti-trust? You bet!

Take care.

Matt.
    The world is a great big Onion - try to cut it, and you are likely to cry...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    Un-install your anti-virus, some software firewalls (well all actually as an 'NDIS' filter is a kernel mode hook).

When something wants admin rights to install, except it to play with system features. A rootkit is nothing to be concerned about, no more so than regular kernelmode/usermode code, if the code's well written, and not doing nasty things, your fine.
    When I uninstall my firewall and antivirus *none* of it is left behind. Not the case with Protected Bin. Hence my point. Anyway, this is far OT.
    Synergy6

Thanks
    used norton once biggest pile of s**t ive ever used now use avast free addtion and its great
    dfi sli-dr | AMD64 3700+ san | 2 Gb kingston PC3200 | SLI XFX 6800GT | emu 1820m + ADAT 32 channel audio card | 600w modualar PSU | 300Gb maxtor maxline | 3 X 300 samsung spin point sata2 hdds | 70Gb raptor | akasa case | Zalman Reserator 1 Plus with two cpu blocks |
    ifyouknowme also know as HEXUS|Mrbeef

Mike Fishcake
    In our workshop at work, anytime anyone brings their own PC in for repair, complains it's running slowly, and they have norton on, we tell them to remove norton, which will speed it up and get it working again, and most of the time, they don't complain of it running slowly again. In fact, done that twice already today!

Thanks
    im somewhat disheartened after reading this...
    i dont use norton antivirus but i use their norton windoctor system tools for defragging etc??? is this a good choice??
    and ive heard of avast but never really used it even if its free? is this good to

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    I use Executive Software Diskeeper for defragging. Used to use Speedisk but became nauseous after too much contact with a Norton product

Diskeeper hasn't given me any grief in a year or so of using it. Have versions 8 & 9

and Acronis TrueImage instead of Norton Ghost - very happy with it too

Gateshead/Blueyonderland-Sky-Vergin on mad
    Thanks
    We stopped using both Ghost in favour of Acronis (very responsive team) and any Symantec corporate stuff last year and have had a lot less trouble with our installs.
    Personally, I still use Norton AV but I would happily do without it in favour of Spybot which is now and always has been an excellent program.
    Shame on Symantec, they`re getting lazy and losing the plot and will pay for it sooner rather than later

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddam
    I use Executive Software Diskeeper for defragging. Used to use Speedisk but became nauseous after too much contact with a Norton product

Diskeeper hasn't given me any grief in a year or so of using it. Have versions 8 & 9

and Acronis TrueImage instead of Norton Ghost - very happy with it too
    O & O Defrag is a very nice tool too. You can have dynamic operation where it will only run when the fragmentation reaches a certain point - not hogging all system resources either (though you WILL experience a bit of slowdown).

Matt.
    The world is a great big Onion - try to cut it, and you are likely to cry...

Thanks
    Sadly the Norton lesson is something I learnt something like 10 years ago. Their original AV software was horrendously unstable and self-propogated throughout it's 'host' until it eventually died, usually when attempting a full uninstall.

The only Norton product I've ever used that I can honestly recommend is Ghost. There may be others worth their price-tag but frankly their AV is so abysmal (neigh virralent) that I find it extremely hard to pursuede myself to attempt to test them, even on a dedicated test setup!
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Ljuboja
    Spybot easily

I cant believe Spybot is being compared to Symantec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information