Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HomePlug 85Mbps Ethernet adapter with a built in 54Mbps access point

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar_VPR
    Was looking into the possibility of using homeplug a few months ago (never got round to it though as am at Uni half the time), and noted somewhere that there were some issues when trying to run the units in a 4-way extension lead, for example, especially if it was surge protected. Anyone know if this is true or not?
    Surge protection is a no-no but I used in four-way units and still had enough speed to stream video, including Windows Media HD.

I think that this is one of those bits of kit where it pays you to use the supplied speed-diagnosis software (which is trivial to set up and use) and experiment a little if you find that what's reported is lower than expected.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Would i be right in thinkning (help me get my head around this). thats if i took an ethernet cable from my router and connected it to a 'homeplug' via the mains, i could then get another 'hompleug' and plug it anyhwere around my home and get a network connection?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maks
    Would i be right in thinkning (help me get my head around this). thats if i took an ethernet cable from my router and connected it to a 'homeplug' via the mains, i could then get another 'hompleug' and plug it anyhwere around my home and get a network connection?
    That is EXACTLY the idea.

And, if - as I'm sure will be the case - your router dishes out IP addresses, then you'll find that the whole thing works quite seamlessly, without you having to do anything anything at all except ensure that the PC (or network device) you connect by Ethernet cable to the other adaptor is set up to acquire its IP address automatically by DHCP.

S'magic!

Far Superior To Meths EvilWeevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    • EvilWeevil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS-2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Caviar, 320GB DiamondMax 10, 400GB Spinpoint, 1TB MyBook External
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAX1900XT
      • PSU:
      • OCZ GameXStream 700W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-G70B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Homechoice/Tiscali 8 down/1 up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    Surge protection is a no-no but I used in four-way units and still had enough speed to stream video, including Windows Media HD.
    Champion of wireless that I am, that might persuade even me - the idea of giving up part of a 4 way is not as daunting as losing a whole socket.

**Cowers behind chair from shower of sparks emanating from overloaded socket**

It would be useful for the 360 I'm planning to buy soon.

My DeviantArt | tomhendriks.co.uk | Need something (reasonable) hosted? PM me!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWeevil
    It would be useful for the 360 I'm planning to buy soon.
    I don't have an Xbox 360 here but David does and that's one of the reason why I sent on to him the devolo 85Mbps kit that I'd tested.

He's been frantically busy and has now flown off to IDF so I've not had feedback from him on how the devolo performed with Xbox 360 but when I get it (and that will now probably be after the CeBIT show), it will be added to the review (which, hopefully, will be finished in the next day or three).

However, since I had zero problems using a Pinnacle Show Center 200 network media player - streaming videos to it over the mains, including WMV HD 1080i files - I'd be deeply shocked if things were any different with Xbox 360.

Registered+
    Thanks
    So far, Im impressed, but are the speeds listed a real possibility?, like wireless G says 54meg, but in reality I never get that when transferring files. For HD being delivered the bandwidth maybe a problem if it goes below a certain level, but with 200meg in horizon, these things are ideal. (As long as the price is realistic)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maks
    So far, Im impressed, but are the speeds listed a real possibility?, like wireless G says 54meg, but in reality I never get that when transferring files. For HD being delivered the bandwidth maybe a problem if it goes below a certain level, but with 200meg in horizon, these things are ideal. (As long as the price is realistic)
    Whether for wireless or HomePlug, the quoted speeds are not the speed for a single connection in a single direction.

The typical speed we got with the devolo 85Mbps kit was of the order of 10Mbps (1.3Mbyte/sec) when using one adaptor upstairs and another downstairs.

When we did some two-way tests in that situation, we estimated we were getting a total data rate of over 16Mbps (over 2MByte/sec).

When the adaptors were in the same room, the one-way was over 20MBit/sec (2.6MByte/sec).

That meant that we were able to play a variety of video files successfully over the mains, including:
    * MPEG-2 with a total datarate of 8224Kbps
    * WMV HD (1080) with a total datarate of 8450Kbps
    * Lots of stuff with lesser datarates, of course.

One thing we did observe (and I've seen this any number of times before when doing networking speed tests) is that the speed of file copying is different in different directions - and you can't always predicted which direction will be fastest.

And, I don't think this has anything at all to do with the read/write speeds of the hard disks on the different PCs - which were pretty fast on the machines we used.

All copy operations were controlled from the same PC - located downstairs -and we found that with the devolo, files copied faster from that PC to the one upstairs than they did when copied the other way.

We'll be including this info (and more) in the review of the devolo kit, of course.

Thanks

devolo MicroLink dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit review now live

devolo MicroLink dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit review now live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information