Thread: Microsoft confirms launch of music player (and more) under Zune brand

Thanks

Microsoft confirms launch of music player (and more) under Zune brand

Microsoft has confirmed rumours that it's to sell portable media players and related software under the Zune range-brand. And the rumours, it's now clear, were started by Microsoft itself as part of a viral marketing campaign that has recently taken on new directions.

Without mentioning Apple, the company has said, in effect, that it's going up against iPods. It also seems to be suggesting that it's going against Apple's iTunes music service, as well - at some time.

More in this HEXUS.headline.

Thanks
    i'll name that zune in one..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by father smurf
    i'll name that zune in one..

It was always going to happen, and Zune is a pretty nifty name for the products. It'll be interesting how all this Live Anywhere stuff comes together.

Thanks
    I have been following this on Engadge for a while. To be honest, it all looks rather un-inspiring to me. We shall see i guess

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    I have been following this on Engadge for a while. To be honest, it all looks rather un-inspiring to me. We shall see i guess
    will this be just another company vying for a piece of the portable pie, not with the amount of money that microsoft are willing to put in i doubt. Just like PC's, could we see an all out apple vs M$ war on mp3 players too?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    Just like PC's, could we see an all out apple vs M$ war on mp3 players too?
    I hope so, i truely hate Apples current business model and this could provide the kick up the arse other companies have failed to give them. Although i am not that interested in the Zune (yet), it would be nice to see if this can force hardware and music prices down. I woud also like to see more competitiveness in the technical features side of things - not just the video playing and integration with other platforms, like the 360, but support for a wider range of DRM (so people can shop around more), gapless playback, lossless downloads and better format support.

Thanks
    "That's wicked!!"
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 31-07-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have very mixed emotions about this player. MS at the moment have been very healthy in helping people implement DRM WMA on their own players. Unlike iTunes which is pretty much ilegal in france, most users don't realise the music they buy on iTunes is buggered.

Now if MS start getting more of a foothold in this market, they might want people to be trapped only on their players and to their music store....

But on the plus, wireless built in fantastic. About damn time much more useful than a colour screen. I hope it has a nice remote thou.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    Here's a little tidbit I found on another site:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.teamxbox.com
    According to TWICE, This Week In Consumer Electronics, Microsoft will offer a single Zune unit this fall at a suggested retail price of $299. In addition, the publication claims to have learned the size of the internal hard drive and other specs:

Retailers who have been briefed by Microsoft told TWICE the player will offer Wi-Fi capability, but will require that the portable be connected to a PC for the actual purchase of songs. Retailers, who claimed Microsoft remained “fuzzy” on the Zune’s wireless capability, said only that Zune will allow users to bookmark songs that may be shared via Wi-Fi, but that users cannot purchase songs on the go from the Microsoft Zune Web site.

Both retailers said the player would incorporate a 30GB hard drive. One said the unit’s display screen would be larger than Apple’s iPod models. The retailers were pleased with Microsoft’s feature-per-price package.

One retailer also said that Microsoft plans to continue to support its PlaysForSure licensees, even while it launches its own media Web site and sells its own digital media player, effectively competing with these same licensees.

Thanks
    How weird is that www.comingzune.com site though!?

Thanks
    it will be good to see what MS can come up with and hopefully put apple under some pressure to get creative for its new products
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thread Information