Thread: Sharp shows five LCD 1080p sets & offers four at discount

Thanks

Sharp shows five LCD 1080p sets & offers four at discount

You might not know it but there's a hard-fought worldwide battle going on for market share in LCD TV sets and it's badly hurting all the makers. The price war is bad news for them but, in the short-term, good news for consumers.

However, it's possible to compete on features, not just price, and that's clearly what Sharp is now doing, judging by its line-up of sets at last weekend's combined What Hi-Fi? and Best of Stuff shows.

The star of Sharp's showing was a massive 65in LCD model, the LC65GD1E. This is claimed to be the world's largest LCD TV set and is one of five true high-def (1080p) Aquos models the company will be offering in the UK.

More in this HEXUS.lifestyle.headline.

Vampire
    Thanks
    Any pricing info on the 65in model ? Theres no price on the website.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    Any pricing info on the 65in model ? Theres no price on the website.
    Sorry, yes - and I did an update to the story yesterday but forgot to post about it here.

It's around £10K - if you just do a UK net search for the model number you'll see there are a few firms selling it.

But, and I'm still trying to get clarification from Sharp, it looks like this product was launched at the beginning of the year (I'd somehow come to the conclusion that it was brand new like the other four) and may NOT be true 1080p!

If that's the case, then I think what you'll find is that it can take in most anything - including 1080p - but can only show, at best, 1080i.

I'm continuing to chase Sharp on this and am hopeful that I will get good info in the very near future. At that point, I'll update the story and this thread.

Thanks
    disappointed at the very masculine booth babe tho preferred the fujitsu ones

Thanks
    Steve B,

Know what you mean!

What I've got to remember to do, though, is make sure the Sharp "model" knows about the piece!

Thread Information