Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,904
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Thecus recently applied the "make it better" methodology to its five-disk N5200 NAS device. It's taken the original and sped it up, added some features and come up with a cunning name, the N5200 Pro. Question is, has Thecus added the extra "wow"? We've got five letters for you, dear readers: i-S-C-S-I.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    DILLIGAF GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,866
    Thanks
    632
    Thanked
    1,190 times in 943 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    from what i have read, there advertising this as a SCSI solution, when in fact its just a SATAII arrangment of drives?

  3. #3
    DR
    DR is offline
    on ye old ship HEXUS DR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HEXUS HQ, Elstree
    Posts
    13,366
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    774 times in 352 posts

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
    from what i have read, there advertising this as a SCSI solution, when in fact its just a SATAII arrangment of drives?
    No ISCSI is a common protocol but has never really been launched in a SoHo NAS solution

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    I have read the review now 3x times , and for home-users I think iSCSI the best file format.

    Anyway I have a question about:

    Because we're dealing with file systems that are designed to be accessed from only a single machine, you can't connect more than one client to the same volume.
    I'm going to use it to stream audio (squeezeboxes) and video (ps3) maybe at the same time.
    I read that I can only connect from one machine does this mean one squeezebox or one ps3?
    In other words when I am connected with my desktop PC to the NAS I cannot stream music or video's?

    Is there a different between DATA or USB format?


    Maybe it's better to install an extra harddrive of 200GB for iSCSI and the rest in RAID5 normal DATA format?

    Kind Regards.
    Jordi

  5. #5
    HEXUS webmaster Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    14,268
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked
    828 times in 468 posts
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Hi jordi.c,

    You segregate the arrays you create into various uses.

    You set a percentage to RAID use, which is network accessible via AFS, CFS, SMB, NFS.
    You set a percentage for iSCSI use. Only 1 client at a time can mount an iSCSI partition.
    You set a percentage for USB use, to which attached USB devices can have their data copied.

    So, yeah, each array has a percentage marked for iSCSI use, and only one client can mount it. That client could then share it as if it was its own, thus creating a storage area network with a NAS front end taking the form of the iSCSI client.

    Confused? Yeah, me too.

    Anyway, by the sounds of it, you want to store videos and music on the N5200 Pro, presumably put onto it from your PC? Then you want to play them back on your squeezebox/PS3?

    You'll want the standard network volumes for that, not iSCSI. Otherwise your PC will always be involved.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Hi jordi.c,

    You segregate the arrays you create into various uses.

    You set a percentage to RAID use, which is network accessible via AFS, CFS, SMB, NFS.
    You set a percentage for iSCSI use. Only 1 client at a time can mount an iSCSI partition.
    You set a percentage for USB use, to which attached USB devices can have their data copied.

    So, yeah, each array has a percentage marked for iSCSI use, and only one client can mount it. That client could then share it as if it was its own, thus creating a storage area network with a NAS front end taking the form of the iSCSI client.

    Confused? Yeah, me too.

    Anyway, by the sounds of it, you want to store videos and music on the N5200 Pro, presumably put onto it from your PC? Then you want to play them back on your squeezebox/PS3?

    You'll want the standard network volumes for that, not iSCSI. Otherwise your PC will always be involved.
    Thx for you reply mate

    H3h3, Confused not anymore .

    Steve, I was thinking of putting mine 200GB harddisk as iSCSI and the rest of the 4 HD's in RAID5 so I will be able to setup some download programs e.g. NewsLeecher to download directly to the NAS (because it's seen as local drive). The download speed is not more than 8mpbs so that is perfect for the single 200GB drive while It can handle ~30MB/sec.

    The other way is; first download it to my pc and copy it to the NAS.

    I thought copying from the iSCSI drive to the other RAID array in the NAS is much faster than from PC -> NAS. Although the NIC in the PC is gigabit.

    HidiHoo.
    Last edited by jordi.c; 14-09-2007 at 04:09 PM.

  7. #7
    HEXUS webmaster Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    14,268
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked
    828 times in 468 posts
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Copying between iSCSI and other arrays probably isn't the way to go. If you were to do it you'd have to do it via SSH on the box itself, otherwise the data it travelling both up and down the network for the copy to occur.

    If you want to download directly to the NAS, just map a network share to a drive letter on your PC (right click my computer -> map network drive).
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

  8. Received thanks from:

    jordi.c (14-09-2007)

  9. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Copying between iSCSI and other arrays probably isn't the way to go. If you were to do it you'd have to do it via SSH on the box itself, otherwise the data it travelling both up and down the network for the copy to occur.

    If you want to download directly to the NAS, just map a network share to a drive letter on your PC (right click my computer -> map network drive).
    Holy Moly life can be so easy .

    I have one last question Steve .

    Tomorrow I will buy 3 more HD's. I already own one 500GB HD which is full of stuff. That stuff must be on the NAS of course.

    I was thinking of building a RAID5 array with 3 HD's and than transferring the "stuff". This must be over the network, because I'm going to format in "stand network volumes", right?

    When all the stuff is copied to the RAID array than I can attach that harddrive too into the RAID array.

    For keeping it clear;
    3x empty harddrives (500GB) in RAID5
    1x empty harddrive (250GB)
    1x full harddrive (500GB) --> to the NAS.

    Is this is a clumsy workaround?

    Adios.

  10. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    How Can I keep files defragmented. When I am going to put my downloads on the same partition as the music, video files than it will be fragmented i think.

    If i make a second partition for downloads on the RAID array can I remove that second partition later if i want to? and put the size back on the main partition?

  11. #10
    HEXUS webmaster Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    14,268
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked
    828 times in 468 posts
    • Steve's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i3-350M 2.27GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GiB Crucial DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD3000
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.10

    Re: Thecus N5200 Pro - NAS with an injection of iSCSI

    Linux filesystems don't work in the same way as FAT/NTFS.

    I shouldn't worry too much about fragmentation.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thecus N5200
    By deviantdave in forum Reader Reviews
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-09-2008, 09:28 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 29-03-2007, 10:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-03-2006, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •