Thread: Reviews - Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB notebook kit solid-state drive review

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB notebook kit solid-state drive review

Less than £100 with an external caddy and quality software, has Kingston got it right with its value 64GB SSD? We find out.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB notebook kit solid-state drive review

I can see only one use for this. Namely to use as a start up disc for OS and programs, all data and writing should be to a different disk, probably mechanical disc.

That way the problems of stuttering are minimal as you do very little writing to the disc.

I would like to see how this SSD performs in that configuration, say with Vista, couple of tabs of Firefox open and a Word document or two. If the end result is a snappier start up for all applications and no degradation in day-to-day running then for less than £100 that is pretty good value for me.

There is a downside for me with all these SSDs and the massive increase in disc transfer speed- at home everything is run of a standard 100MB/sec ethernet router, will I be swamping this with 2 or 3 HD streams - it was never a problem with mechanical discs as they were the bottleneck, with SSDs this is not the case. All my PCs have standard gigbit connections - I guess this means network manufacturers will need to produce gigabit routers for the home market now (the house is on a wired network, I never did trust wireless)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: Reviews - Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB notebook kit solid-state drive review

Lol, 100 MegaBITS ethernet = 10 megaBYTEs/sec.

I'd hope your HDDs were capable of more than that

Gigabit = 100megaBYTE/sec - most spinny HDDs can't max that out for long, but an SSD can.

Any SSD destroys a standard HDD in real world usage.

Registered+
    Thanks

This is tempting simply because of the massive increase in boot time. Surely putting applications on it would benefit as well?
    -Casimir's Blake
    Psychedelic Tektoniks From The Berenices

Thanks

Miker:

I always get my bits and bytes wrong when talking about ethernet!

The point remains. All my movie collection is ripped down to HDD - I have a good quality RAID to keep up. For standard def movies this is not a major issue although I probably would not want to run more than 2 movies at same time. Of course I am now moving to HD movies. If I move to SSD from HDD then the disks are no longer a bottleneck but the network and router will be.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by cjs150 View Post
    Of course I am now moving to HD movies. If I move to SSD from HDD then the disks are no longer a bottleneck but the network and router will be.
    BluRay has a maximum data rate of 54mbit/sec. Any decent RAID setup should be able to maintain two streams of that. My RAID-5 arrays can transfer at around 120MB/sec (yes, 120 megabytes/sec or about 960megabits/sec)

108mbit/sec should be no problem for anything running on a gigabit network. I would say that even right now, your network is your bottle neck rather than the mechanical hard drive. No need for SSDs in this usage case.

Thanks

Question Re: Reviews - Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB notebook kit solid-state drive review

Cheers. I had a feeling that it was time to upgrade the old 8 port Linksys cable router. Any good ideas for a 5-8 port gigabit cable router that will not cost too much

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Best starting a new thread for that mate

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Its tempting to replace the boot in the other halfs laptop with this SSD but problem is that it limits her space. I'd prefer to put a 128gb in hers really. Also with the price of SSD's falling rapidly I'm going to leave it for a while. Still its all good with how things are going.

As someone commented above, it would be worth replacing a mechanical with an SSD just for pure boot/apps boost. Just keep a nice Samsung 1tb for movies/big storage. Thats fast enough for most things.

/off topic. Only problem i have is i5's are out and its put the kybosh on me getting an AMD machine as the performance is awesome. Thou... if it causes a price war, i may just buy a cheap dual core with 4gb and treat it as disposible.

Thanks

Pleased that JMicron have fixed the stuttering problems with this controller, even though it is not the SSD controller of choice these days. It's a decent budget offering from Kingston, but I'm not a fan of synthetic benchmarks, I would have liked to have seen a few more real life benchmarks apart from the Vista boot and Far Cry loading times.

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

I don't mean to be disparaging, but, at times, the hexus recommendation score really does seem like a 'random number between 50 and 80'. I'm sure it's quite difficult to arrive at values which most people will agree on, and I don't envy the job of doing so (especially when people like me then chirp up...), but the review didn't seem to give a glowing reference to the drive, so I was surprised to see a score which, comparing against other values given with more favourable reviews, seems a little on the high side.

This point aside, good review and interesting to read. I've currently got a X25-M (G1) 80GB disk and am keeping an eye on the market with interest to see what the next generation will be giving us!

Cheers,

Roo

Registered+
    Thanks

How can you possibly give this drive 65%??

It's the slowest one in the test and uses a really poor controller, recommending it as a "safe buy" is pushing it.

Thread Information