Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions - What would make a good AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU?

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Re: Opinions - What would make a good AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Syllopsium View Post
    They're stuffed for at least three months. The best we'll get in the meantime is a DX10.1 part. Looks like the rumours are true. If they could have shown silicon, they would.
    Given the turn around times for silicon I'd say thats at the Earliest. I'd lean to pushing feb 2010 before retail cards are available. /Maybe/ even as late as april/may if they have to do another respin. (Which if they do... really screws them up. So look for the first cards to be "broken" in some way if they manage to stumble out the door)

Its embarressing really to make this kind of misstep. Their engineers must be cringing at this level of cockup. Its a seriously sad way to go. Just wish they would fire the drone that ****ed up the decisions to go this way.

Course, the question is whether when Nvidia ship the GT300 they're doing the equivalent of a Core Duo or a Penryn. Intel got shafted with P4 Prescott, recovered with the interim solutions of Pentium D, Core Duo, hit into a high gear with Core 2 Duo and perfected it with the 45nm Penryn architecture. If the GT300 is as hot and power hungry as some people think, it'll be the equivalent of a Prescott or some of the pentium D chips : hot, power hungry, clocked to hell with a couple of mostly working new features tacked on.
    Heh. I was actually going with the Willemette P4... I still think they have their own Prescott in the wings! But on 2nd thoughts mebbe your Prescott analogy is more accurate.

As for features. Thats another huge screwup. They knew the specs of DX10 and they screwed up and couldnt get the cards to work so pleaded with MS to "revise" the spec and we ended up with 10.1 being the more usefull standard. Now again they are playing catchup with DX11.

Oh well we can but pray they sort it out becuase otherwise they are screwed for an entire cycle and that means Dec 2010 before anything else.

oh and reflection on dx10 and vista? The driver schema was changed due to NV being unable to fix their broken vista drivers so again the "secure" OS was broken.

Thank god 7 is miles better. I've even run it on a p3 1ghz with 1gb of ram. Vista damn near exploded on the same setup. Colour me impressed. However. Threadjack... so i'll get my coat.

Thanks
    • Syllopsium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • D975XBX2
      • CPU:
      • Q6700
      • Memory:
      • 8GB ECC DDR2 667
      • Storage:
      • 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX and 7600GT - four monitors
      • PSU:
      • 600W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64, OpenBSD
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 IBM C220p 22" CRT, one 17" VP730 TFT, one Zalman Trimon 19" 3D monitor
      • Internet:
      • 12Mb Be Internet

Quote Originally Posted by mercyground View Post
    oh and reflection on dx10 and vista? The driver schema was changed due to NV being unable to fix their broken vista drivers so again the "secure" OS was broken.
    Are you referring to WDDM 1.0 being unable to support more than one graphics driver simultaneously, the original DX10 being cannibalised and split into a lacklustre DX10 and a later fully featured DX10.1 or something completely different?

PK

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syllopsium View Post
    Are you referring to WDDM 1.0 being unable to support more than one graphics driver simultaneously, the original DX10 being cannibalised and split into a lacklustre DX10 and a later fully featured DX10.1 or something completely different?

PK
    mostly the original DX10 being gutted. But there was an article somewhere that detailed how as NV couldnt get the driver working MS dropped some of the requirements and so driver protection isnt as tight as it should have been. (The total reworking of it to be outside the kernal AFAIK.) Its been a while since i read it and i havent had my coffee yet so i'm somewhat fuzzy still.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I'd want 256bit memory architecture AND GDDR5 on a 5770. For triple head to work, in games, I guess the requirements would be for a lot of resolution, memory and bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information