Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviews - A.C. Ryan Playon!HD and Playon!HD mini review

Thanks

Re: Reviews - A.C. Ryan Playon!HD and Playon!HD mini review

Hello everyone,

I like the review and I just wanted to add some information about the .mkv files that some people have problems with. These files are encoded with audio/video settings our player does not recognize.

You can for now remux these files using mkvmergeGUI that is included when you download/install MKVToolNix. You run the file with mkvmergeGUI and press 'remux' and make sure you have no audio/video compressions on while doing it.

If you after the remux still get the same error. Then download a older version of the application and do the same thing again. For some users the new version does not work, and vice versa

I have informed our developers about this and I'm hopeful there might be a more permanent fix for this in the future.

You find this free program here: 'Not available until I get 5 posts.'

I will have to trick this URL in later. For now you can use google.com to find this freeware!

Br,
    Mikael Tarvainen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.C Ryan Mikael View Post
    Hello everyone,

I like the review and I just wanted to add some information about the .mkv files that some people have problems with. These files are encoded with audio/video settings our player does not recognize.

You can for now remux these files using mkvmergeGUI that is included when you download/install MKVToolNix. You run the file with mkvmergeGUI and press 'remux' and make sure you have no audio/video compressions on while doing it.

If you after the remux still get the same error. Then download a older version of the application and do the same thing again. For some users the new version does not work, and vice versa

I have informed our developers about this and I'm hopeful there might be a more permanent fix for this in the future.

I will have to trick this URL in later. For now you can use google.com to find this freeware!

Br,
    Mikael Tarvainen
    Great information Mikael

the link is HERE

Cheers

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Br,
    Mikael Tarvainen

thanks. i tried a few versions but couldn't get it to work, but i haven't given up, i'll try more versions. the file played after remuxing, but i got audio but no video, just black screen. the remuxed file played on the pc okay though

one thing i noticed was the files that don't play had subtitles included and some other thing showing up along with video and audio in that program. i know subtitle files play as i'm playing one right now. when remuxing i only remuxed the audio and video and left out the other bits but that didn't work

if i can get the remuxing to work then it's a great temporary fix as it only takes a minute to run. if you can get the proper fix then that's obviously better

and i found the zoom options too, you can change 5% at a time to amend aspect ratios. if you can do something like that with audio synch then you would have a pretty perfect streamer for my needs (i just want to stream files, the other stuff doesn't bother me, i want to watch stuff not have fancy menus)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    thanks. i tried a few versions but couldn't get it to work, but i haven't given up, i'll try more versions. the file played after remuxing, but i got audio but no video, just black screen. the remuxed file played on the pc okay though

one thing i noticed was the files that don't play had subtitles included and some other thing showing up along with video and audio in that program. i know subtitle files play as i'm playing one right now. when remuxing i only remuxed the audio and video and left out the other bits but that didn't work

if i can get the remuxing to work then it's a great temporary fix as it only takes a minute to run. if you can get the proper fix then that's obviously better

and i found the zoom options too, you can change 5% at a time to amend aspect ratios. if you can do something like that with audio synch then you would have a pretty perfect streamer for my needs (i just want to stream files, the other stuff doesn't bother me, i want to watch stuff not have fancy menus)
    Hello,

Like I said in my first post. I got no real fail safe version for everyone. I have seen countless people trying to remux the same file, but for 1 person it works and for the other it doesn't. I can only advise to try different versions of the software and make sure you select if possible no audio/video compressions.

I have forwarded your suggestion about 'audio synchronization' to one of our developers since I find the suggestion very good!

A side note to the .mkv issue. This problem seems to occur with a lot of different media players, and if you have another branded player this fix could work for those as well. Worth a try!

Ps: Thanks for adding the link Paul!

Br,
    Mikael

Thanks

Hello,

Like I said in my first post. I got no real fail safe version for everyone. I have seen countless people trying to remux the same file, but for 1 person it works and for the other it doesn't. I can only advise to try different versions of the software and make sure you select if possible no audio/video compressions.

I have forwarded your suggestion about 'audio synchronization' to one of our developers since I find the suggestion very good!

A side note to the .mkv issue. This problem seems to occur with a lot of different media players, and if you have another branded player this fix could work for those as well. Worth a try!

Ps: Thanks for adding the link Paul!

Br,
    Mikael
    thanks. i'll keep trying different versions of the software to see if i can get it to work. if you can get an audio synch option it would be fantastic. if you get audio synch and fix the problem mentioned then i'll definately get a second mini for the other room. the build quality etc was great, and having an included hdmi cable is always handy for a lot of people, even if you can get them for £1 these days, it saves a trip to poundland

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.B. View Post
    im testing the netgear NTV550 at the moment
    Hi,

Re the ntv550, the specs look great on this unit. Does it offer anything over and above what the competition is offering in terms of functionality or is it pretty much more of the same?

I appreciate you're still testing it but how's it fairing? Is it looking good? Is it very buggy?

Any idea of when units will become available?

Many thanks in anticipation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fimbar View Post
    Hi,

Re the ntv550, the specs look great on this unit. Does it offer anything over and above what the competition is offering in terms of functionality or is it pretty much more of the same?

I appreciate you're still testing it but how's it fairing? Is it looking good? Is it very buggy?

Any idea of when units will become available?

Many thanks in anticipation
    im been beta testing it for 2 months we have added many functions and features but this is not the place for me to tell you

oh and due date was looking like middle of september but looks like its going to be delayed until end of october
    Last edited by Pete.B.; 23-08-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Pete, it sounds promising

Thanks

1) i've found a few recent mkv rips of 720p tv shows won't play on it, but play on the pc, so it would be nice if that could be fixed.

2) nice addition would be to be able to change lipsynch
    update for you

1) i have found the issue and its due to feature called "header removal compression". (see here for weblink)

this being looked at for a upcoming firmware.

but i have the fix as well a simple tool that can take remove this feature to make the file playable on these players inc all realtek and sigma based (as WD-TV cant play them either !!)

http://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html

2)lipsync is being looked at for a futre update - by A.C.Ryan & netgear

Thanks

update for you

1) i have found the issue and its due to feature called "header removal compression". (see here for weblink)

this being looked at for a upcoming firmware.

but i have the fix as well a simple tool that can take remove this feature to make the file playable on these players inc all realtek and sigma based (as WD-TV cant play them either !!)

http://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html

2)lipsync is being looked at for a futre update - by A.C.Ryan & netgear
    great! i'll look at that later. the funny thing is, the same shows by i think the same groups, played fine last week! so maybe they got word of the problem and changed the encoding methods

i tried the new firmware but rolled back to the beta as it would only play mp3s and mp3 based divx stuff if you changed the audio out settings from raw to something else, which was annoying. there wasn't any noticable additions to the firmware that i used so no loss to me moving back. hopefully that problem is fixed for the future. a few people seem to have mentioned it on the ac ryan forums

i was just showing my mate the streamer yesterday, but his uber expensive bang and olufson telly only has scart sockets and apparently hdmi bits for them cost about £300, the same price as a new 32" telly! ouch!

Thanks

great! i'll look at that later. the funny thing is, the same shows by i think the same groups, played fine last week! so maybe they got word of the problem and changed the encoding methods

i tried the new firmware but rolled back to the beta as it would only play mp3s and mp3 based divx stuff if you changed the audio out settings from raw to something else, which was annoying. there wasn't any noticable additions to the firmware that i used so no loss to me moving back. hopefully that problem is fixed for the future. a few people seem to have mentioned it on the ac ryan forums

i was just showing my mate the streamer yesterday, but his uber expensive bang and olufson telly only has scart sockets and apparently hdmi bits for them cost about £300, the same price as a new 32" telly! ouch!
    yes your right IMMERSE Release group have removed header compression temporarily from there releases until media players have recieved firmware updates to fix playback.

regarding your friends TV you can get a Component (Full R,G,B) to Scart adaptor for only £6.99 checkout http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...RGB-SCART.html

Thanks

yes your right IMMERSE Release group have removed header compression temporarily from there releases until media players have recieved firmware updates to fix playback.

regarding your friends TV you can get a Component (Full R,G,B) to Scart adaptor for only £6.99 checkout http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...RGB-SCART.html
    he would need to stick to crappy composite video as if he used the adapter he would have no sound as he doesn't have a seperate amp. he has some kind of "soundbar" thing that has about 9 speakers that are supposed to give a 3d sound effect but don't. it goes pretty loud compared to a normal tv though. it just doesn't have hdmi and the built in dvd player isn't multi region and can't be made so. the stand can move by remote control about 2 inches though. it only cost about £600 extra. bargain really, if you have more money than sense

Thanks

Regarding the issue with atomatic output resolution/frequency. Are there any plans to include this in a future firmware? I use an external videoprosessor, and it would be really great for me if the Playon!HD could output the same resolution/frequency as the source automatically.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey1313 View Post
    Regarding the issue with atomatic output resolution/frequency. Are there any plans to include this in a future firmware? I use an external videoprosessor, and it would be really great for me if the Playon!HD could output the same resolution/frequency as the source automatically.
    This was something Realtek Considerd for SDK 3 series firmware it looks like that implementation will be in a future chipset for a number of Reasons,Some of the New Sigma chipsets do have this as an addtion depends on request from company using the chipset,the Viewsonic VMP 74/New Netgear NeoTV 550 and the New HDI Dune players all do..or will do at some point,the best being the Netgear as the Beta testing is bringing out some fine implementations and we are testing it ourselves and its a great player
    so far,some reports on our own site soon.

Talas
    Last edited by Talas@MPW; 07-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Talas@MPW View Post
    This was something Realtek Considerd for SDK 3 series firmware it looks like that implementation will be in a future chipset for a number of Reasons,Some of the New Sigma chipsets do have this as an addtion depends on request from company using the chipset,the Viewsonic VMP 74/New Netgear NeoTV 550 and the New HDI Dune players all do..or will do at some point,the best being the Netgear as the Beta testing is bringing out some fine implementations and we are testing it ourselves and its a great player
    so far,some reports on our own site soon.

Talas
    Thanks for the answer.

Do you know if the Netgear NeoTV 350 will do the same? I can't get a 550 in Norway, but the 350 is available...

I also just got word from another thread/forum about the Dune players. They will switch frequency automatically, but not resolution. If you set output resolution to 1080p for instance, and then watch a 1080p24 movie and then switch to a 720p60 series. You will first get a 1080p60 image in the menu, switching to 1080p24 for the movie, then 1080p60 for menu and still 1080p60 for the 720p60 series.

Are there any players that will switch resolution output as well as frequency to the same as the source automatically?

I could also sign my posts "Talas" as it in Norwegian means "See you later" or rather "Speak to you later".
    Last edited by Joey1313; 08-09-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey1313 View Post
    I also just got word from another thread/forum about the Dune players. They will switch frequency automatically, but not resolution. If you set output resolution to 1080p for instance, and then watch a 1080p24 movie and then switch to a 720p60 series. You will first get a 1080p60 image in the menu, switching to 1080p24 for the movie, then 1080p60 for menu and still 1080p60 for the 720p60 series.

Are there any players that will switch resolution output as well as frequency to the same as the source automatically?
    Is that the best way to do it? Personally I'd have thought the streamer should output to the resolution of your display regardless of the source. So, it should automatically upscale (or indeed downscale) for you?
    In your scenario what would happen if you tried to watch a 1080p bluray on a 720p display? Surely you'd get a garbled picture since your display couldn't handle it?

Or am I missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information