Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reviews - Call Of Duty: Black Ops - PC, Xbox 360, PS3

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Call Of Duty: Black Ops - PC, Xbox 360, PS3

I agree with most points in the review. I actually delved right into multiplayer for me, single player doesn't really offer anything new. Basically the trend is to tell a story through the missions and I don't think they can make it long enough for it to be enthralling. Treyarch seem to have taken a step back though with the graphics. I was expecting something on par or better than the new editions of Battlefield and Medal of Honor.

Furthermore the multiplayer is plagued with lag issues, glitches and SHODDY spawning that the game inherits from MW2. I was expecting larger maps with fixed spawns and what have you, but considering that they have so many modes it might be a mammoth task indeed.

Disappointed but hooked onto it at the same time.
    Last edited by TheWizard; 12-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    I agree with most points in the review. I actually delved right into multiplayer for me, single player doesn't really offer anything new.
    That's kind of a shame - the story being told by the single player is (imho of course) way better than the one IW shipped with MW2. If you like spy thrillers then it's definitely worth a go.

Although - and I'm guessing the PC is the same as the console version - you might not want to play this if there's kiddies around, as some of the language is definitely adult-only. (Not that I mind - it's okay in the context).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • hungryjman's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 430m
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr3
      • Storage:
      • 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia gt330m
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 home premium
      • Internet:
      • Talktalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
    I agree with most points in the review. I actually delved right into multiplayer for me, single player doesn't really offer anything new. Basically the trend is to tell a story through the missions and I don't think they can make it long enough for it to be enthralling. Treyarch seem to have taken a step back though with the graphics. I was expecting something on par or better than the new editions of Battlefield and Medal of Honor.

Furthermore the multiplayer is plagued with lag issues, glitches and SHODDY spawning that the game inherits from MW2. I was expecting larger maps with fixed spawns and what have you, but considering that they have so many modes it might be a mammoth task indeed.

Disappointed but hooked onto it at the same time.
    I agree whole heartedly. I haven't even started the campaign, as the recurrent plot has become ever so repetitive and tedious.

In MP i definately agree with the small maps, for instances nuke town, I know that it's sort of tradition to have a small map in COD, understandable. But now there are no decent sniper maps. and Quickscoping sort of works still with "acog scope".
    But the patch has fixed all the laggyness.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjman View Post
    I agree whole heartedly. I haven't even started the campaign, as the recurrent plot has become ever so repetitive and tedious.
    Hmm, I'm going to disagree here - the BO plot has nothing to do with the MW/MW2 one's (those being set in current times, whereas BO is mid-40's to late 60's). And yes, I know there's a tenuous link to the W@W plot.

And if you're referring to the "sneak around, find targets, kill them" meme then surely that's inherent in that BO is an FPS. Only recent FPS that I've found that wasn't following this slavishly was Just Cause 2.

So, I'd give props to Treyarch for trying to do something different. Okay, like all thrillers once you know what's coming it takes the edge off - but the first time through it's definitely worthwhile. And then you get access to the zombies@war-room level, plus being able to do the scored one-life runs of the SP missions.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryjman View Post
    and Quickscoping sort of works still with "acog scope".
    Thanks for bringing up "Quickscoping" - it's not a term I'd heard before, (because I don't do a lot of MP), so fascinated to see that there were plenty of articles on it when I googled just now. Live and learn...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information