Thread: Reviews - SteelSeries Shift Gaming Keyboard

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - SteelSeries Shift Gaming Keyboard

Designed with customisation in mind, SteelSeries unleashes its high-end gaming keyboard. The ZBoard has evolved...
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - SteelSeries Shift Gaming Keyboard

really struggling to appreciate a keyboard at that price without backlit keys and although I can't judge the quality of the product since I don't have it I think being backlit is a Vital feature for a gaming keyboard simply due to the amount of time nerdy people like myself spent using these things in the dark ... ah well perhaps some people don't see it that way

Thanks
    • sadbuttrue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55 UD5
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 @ 3.8ghz + Megahalems + GT1450 @ 5v
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill ECO 4GB 1.4v
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120gb + Samsung F4 2tb in Scythe Quiet Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 @ 940/1350/1.175v + Shaman @ 20%
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • Raven RV02 with 3xPhobya G-Silent Fans @ 210rpm + Scythe S-Flex 1200 @ 5v
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2233rz, Dell 2209wa, Panasonic AX200 Projector
      • Internet:
      • BeThere 24mb

A high-end keyboard does not use rubber dome switches.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    really struggling to appreciate a keyboard at that price without backlit keys and although I can't judge the quality of the product since I don't have it I think being backlit is a Vital feature for a gaming keyboard simply due to the amount of time nerdy people like myself spent using these things in the dark ... ah well perhaps some people don't see it that way
    Personally I can't remember the last time I looked at a keyboard to type.. so its not a essential feature for myself.

Thanks

It's not about typing it's about gaming and typing
    I personally prefer playing in complete dark as I said - I would consider myself to be decent at typing with 70+ wpm but when you have your left hand moulded to certain keys for a while it's starting to type that's annoying if it's something on the right side of the keyboard - basically regaining orientation. Therefore even if only wasd is backlit i think it's a useful feature - rest of the keyboard isn't so relevant so long as you can have this initial knowledge of where you are when u glimpse down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    It's not about typing it's about gaming and typing
    I personally prefer playing in complete dark as I said - I would consider myself to be decent at typing with 70+ wpm but when you have your left hand moulded to certain keys for a while it's starting to type that's annoying if it's something on the right side of the keyboard - basically regaining orientation. Therefore even if only wasd is backlit i think it's a useful feature - rest of the keyboard isn't so relevant so long as you can have this initial knowledge of where you are when u glimpse down.
    I use the Logitech G110 with backlit keyboard on a daily basis, and for me too it doesn't make that much difference whether I have the keys turned on or not. I'm typing in the dark now, but rarely do I look at the keyboard. With gaming I look at it even less because there's fewer buttons to hit.

I can see how people prefer back-lit keyboards though, and it would have been a nice feature to have.

Thanks

Steven I'm typing in the dark now from my unlit wireless from bed - not an issue at all
    Not missing wasd and 3-4 more buttons or even 60 odd binds is hardly an issue either - I've played competitively for way too long before

Just don't want to be misunderstood - what I am referring to is e.g. steam chat while on an fps on non-backlit - I for one would be slightly disorientated typing "Kilimanjaro" on the first go simply because left hand is so moulded into wasd and right one has same issue with the mouse - it is of course a silly example but it shows what I mean.

Then again being born in south of Russia ... Chernobyl isn't far - may be I'm just a mutant with weird hands
    Shame I don't glow myself ... that would alleviate the issue ...

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

i also dont dont look down at my keyboard a great deal but i have become so accustomed to my macbook pro and my saitek eclipse that there is no way i could buy a keyboard without backlit keys. Those few times when you do look down and you cant see anything its rather frustrating. The main time i have noticed is on my work laptop which isnt backlit. Could possibly be something to do with constantly transferring from one keyboard to to the next?

As nice as this keybaord looks, there is no way i could buy it. No backlight - no buy!

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

i Had the original Zboard and after a while the keys became very hit and miss for working, And then after switching the keyboards out for the gaming versions when i wanted to play i found that the sensor that registers which keyboard is in Started playing up and i could only use the one keyboard face in it. Shame as the zboard was a really nice keyboard.

Thanks
    • joel_spencer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-MA-770-UD3 R2.0
      • CPU:
      • X2 6000
      • Memory:
      • 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR 2 800 CL 4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD + 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT Zalman OC
      • PSU:
      • Jeantech Arctic 600w
      • Case:
      • Modded Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Operating System:
      • XP SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX922
      • Internet:
      • 02: 8 down and 1.3 up

I like the multimedia keys being on the left, if they are at the top and your keyboard tray underhangs the desk then you often can't reach the multimedia keys due to the lack of space for both hand and keyboard. This also means I don't raise up my keyboard on legs anymore, though apparently this is better for you. I don't see a volume wheel though and they are far superior to +/- buttons.

Back lighting is a nice but slightly pointless feature on my board (Saitek Eclipse II) as there are only a few LEDs behind the keys not under each letter (though the keys are laser etched so they would have to be translucent plastic for that idea to work). It's cool if you play in the dark and initially helpful if as stated you've been on the WASD configuration for so long you need the light just to find the first key. I use the mouse so much that when I type with my right hand I only use the first finger, also probably because I sit diagonal to the keyboard usually.

The windows key disable may be customary for boards now (my board doesn't have it) but on the other hand, I have never hit the windows key by accident so it really is a non issue for me.

Nice that the ZBoard sets work too. And looking at it, it looks easy to clean too, just pop off the top layer?

No software disc when you're paying £75, why? I know it's usually easier to download the software as it's more up to date but in that case produce a USB key where you can keep your latest drivers and profiles if you go to a friends?

Thread Information