• Seasonic 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D /w 240RAD
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 PRO 64Bit / Debian
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x DELL 2413

Re: Reviews - PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB PCS++ graphics card review

ah the anandtech bench...thats the first place to stop before ordering new hardware

I think it would be nice to have an other site with a "bench" too because I could cross reference between them. c'mon hexus..the only downside would be that one could say that you copy them...but it would be for a greater good (my satisfaction that is)

Registered+
    Thanks

I was thinking of the old Toms Hardware one, but Toms has become nothing more than a round up site of "news" from other websites since it got bought out

the problem with Anandtech is that they rarely test non-vanilla cards (like the SOC or the one from the article attached to this thread), so you'd still end up comparing against other websites if you'd seen one reviewed on a decent review site like Hexus

it would be great if Hexus did do a database of virtually every card for the last 3 years, however good luck convincing hexus staff to dedicate 3 weeks of their life to setting it up

Thanks

Do we really need to have benchmarks done of three year old cards though?

Thanks

*sigh*

I'm not asking for a bench of every card within the last 3 years, just 1 or 2 from a couple of generations ago....

The majority of people do not have a 460 or above, for those people (like me) it can be a pain to compare your old card to the newer cards by way of "my card is this %, the 460 is this % therefore the card I'm looking at is this %"

Running the new suite of benches on a couple of older cards (perhaps one ATI, one NVidia) wouldn't take more than a couple of hours & may be of use to a LOT of people.

Thanks

I guess so I guess that by the same standard though its hard to say when too call a cut off period what if the persons got a card thats one generation behind the cut of point? I do think that you have a point in that people like too see just how much of a gain you will get when you do upgrade even if its just too convince yourself that parting with £xxx is really justified.

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Exactly if I am going to spend £xxx on buying a new graphics card I want to know about how much performance gain I'd get and be able to compare with the latest generation. I own a GTX 280 I guess a lot people don't upgrade their card at every new gen and usually keep their graphics cards for a few years at least due to large outlay on purchasing a new card.

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    New games? Sure. We're revamping the suite - new one to be launched soon - and we'd like your input.
    Metro 2033 certainly proved too much for my system with all the effects - so I would support this game included, patricularly if minimum frame rates were included.

Crysis 2 is due out soon - could be a good choice

BF3 would be good - but it's too far off at the moment to be any use to Hexus I suspect

Thanks

Folks, thanks for all the suggestions - your feedback is always appreciated and it has been taken on board.

Rob_B, your suggestion of including previous-generation cards has merit. We can see how that would be useful to you and other readers. Trouble is, we like to keep our benchmark suite fresh with newer games - and as most are now DX11, they simply won't run on older cards. We'll see what we can do though.

Registered+
    Thanks

Can you give any more information on pricing and on availability? It would seem a pair of these might do well for me.

Hexus : If you want to be unique, and innovative.... you need to do something different.

You need to design a performance index score for cards. In a broad sense you would take a range of benchmarks that are typical of the games people play, or more exactly the games people buy cards to play (as opposed to games where everybody with a decent card will get 150 FPS, no point considering those). You then take a system with a powerful CPU to avoid bottleneck and run the benches on those games. From the benchmarks you can then determine an overall score - weight the games so that they are all equal. You can then inflate the scores of particular games if you feel you want to emphasise the demands of that particular game. E.g. you may inflate DX11 games because people buying cards _now_ will know the card will kill anything they throw at it, but they want to know that in 2 or 3 years time the card will be competent.

You then have a score for all of the cards you've benched on that particular system. Next you do the same thing on a different system. E.g. if you did it on a Sandybridge 2500 then repeat on a 1100T. This allows you to sanity check the scores and ensure you don't have freak results.

Finally you have a score for each of the cards you've tested in this manner. That means you can pick 3 or so cards from this set next time you do some tests on a new card, and you can then generate a score for the new card that will be applicable against all of the cards you have scored.

Thus you have a way of comparing all cards done with a particular score against all other cards done with that score.

As you change the ranking system e.g. you may have a Hexus11 for this year, but in 2014 you've changed the stuff you bench.. you could still do Hexus11, and that way people can measure their GTX 780s against the current GTX580s.

What will throw this out of sync is updates to drivers that change performance, and that's unavoidable I think.
    Last edited by Halk; 11-02-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halk View Post

What will throw this out of sync is updates to drivers that change performance, and that's unavoidable I think.

what about updates to Direct X

a new version of directx with a whole new bunch of hardware to support it makes backward comparisons largely redundant because the new directx should include new shiny that the old one didn't, the new shiny becomes the reason to upgrade and a performance boost in older games is a bonus

comparing a GTX 260 (or even 280) against a 6950, 6970 or GTX 570/580 is pointless, because the old cards don't support tesselation or shader model 5.0 which is becoming a key feature in the newer shinier games

I'd ignored DX11 until recently because not many games were making proper use of it, but with that set to change I'll gladly drop £200ish on a new card to support it, being able to reinstall and finally play Crysis with all the shiny turned up is just a bonus

Registered+
    Thanks

The updates to DirectX are exactly what I mean by having the Hexus11 rating and Hexus14 etc. What cards are measured against now would become obsolete over time, so new methods would have to be used.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halk View Post
    The updates to DirectX are exactly what I mean by having the Hexus11 rating and Hexus14 etc. What cards are measured against now would become obsolete over time, so new methods would have to be used.
    sorry, I assumed you were talking in favour of the older post about wanting to see a GTX 260 retested now, but it's opposite

in terms of the rest of your suggestion, they effectively do exactly that in their bang4buck score and normalised FPS scores, they weight FPS so that they effectively ignore anything over 60fps and if a card can't sustain 20fps in a game it scores 0 for that game

what the OP complained about was that they didn't re-test old cards in with the new games selection (even though, as discussed DX11 makes that pointless because a 260 can't even run the test suite at the same settings, so it's not an apples for apples comparison)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyb123 View Post
    sorry, I assumed you were talking in favour of the older post about wanting to see a GTX 260 retested now, but it's opposite

in terms of the rest of your suggestion, they effectively do exactly that in their bang4buck score and normalised FPS scores, they weight FPS so that they effectively ignore anything over 60fps and if a card can't sustain 20fps in a game it scores 0 for that game

what the OP complained about was that they didn't re-test old cards in with the new games selection (even though, as discussed DX11 makes that pointless because a 260 can't even run the test suite at the same settings, so it's not an apples for apples comparison)
    Right. And I'm suggesting they go a step further, and give each card a performance index, that's generated based on the performance against other cards. I think it could be done so that without testing the 280 or 8800 GTX again you could to a very reasonable degree of accuracy measure how much a 6950 compares through that score.

It is a very useful thing to do though. People looking for an upgrade are usually not using the latest and greatest GPUs

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Any update on when these cards will be available in the uk?

Registered+
    Thanks

Available here. Only 21 left though. I just grabbed 2

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN