Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reviews - AMD Radeon HD 7850 vs 6850 vs 5850 at same clocks

Thanks

Re: Reviews - AMD Radeon HD 7850 vs 6850 vs 5850 at same clocks

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    Firstly, this is a discussion forum, so if you can't be bothered to discuss, why bother replying in the first place?
    Ok I can't help myself so here goes...

Prices in dollars are relevant because, as usual, they are the 'default' currency in which new products are launched. Using pounds would be convoluted and unhelpful.
    To quote the very first sentence of this article: "Set to be available to purchase in a couple of weeks' time, AMD filled out its graphics-card line-up with the announcement of the £185 Radeon HD 7850 and £260 Radeon HD 7870."

So I guess Hexus is just being 'convoluted and unhelpful' with all their GBP pricing...?

Why are you using the stock market as a measure of inflation? Talk about pointless. It would be more appropriate to use something like the CPI or RPI or even the base interest rate, all of which have remained less than 5%/year over the last three years.
    Er... and I used the stock market as a measure of inflation how? Where? Maybe you can show me by quoting the sentences I wrote? Because yes it would be pointless.

And yes CPI and RPI are correct measures of inflation. The base interest rate is not - though it does tend to move in response to inflation - amongst other factors - yes.

I only mentioned the stock market gain of 2009 in response to what you wrote, which is: "let's face it: economic conditions haven't changed that much in the last 3 years." when in fact I beg to differ. In fact, on your note of inflation, the RPI went negative for the first time in 50 years in 2009:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8009718.stm

Again, showing how economic conditions have changed hugely in the last 3 years. Maybe next time you could link to some evidence showing how economic conditions 'haven't changed that much in the last 3 years' to back up what you say mkay? Or was it just something glib you wrote to counteract my first post which you now feel you can't back out of?

Unfortunately I have to go to work now but if you deign to comment further then perhaps you should reconsider your above post.
    Yes I work too big deal. If you deign to comment further then perhaps you should reconsider your above posts also.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by Noli View Post
    Ok I can't help myself so here goes...

To quote the very first sentence of this article: "Set to be available to purchase in a couple of weeks' time, AMD filled out its graphics-card line-up with the announcement of the £185 Radeon HD 7850 and £260 Radeon HD 7870."

So I guess Hexus is just being 'convoluted and unhelpful' with all their GBP pricing...?
    Well no, they are just stating how much the new cards cost in GBP. There is no comparison going on, which is why pounds is a very valid currency. Using dollars here would be convoluted and unhelpful, given that it's a UK site. Using dollars to compare the MSRP on the other hand is valid because this is a comparison, is not intended to inform UK buyers about how much they would have to pay for the cards, and the fewer currency conversions the better given the vagaries of exchange rate fluctuations.

Er... and I used the stock market as a measure of inflation how? Where? Maybe you can show me by quoting the sentences I wrote? Because yes it would be pointless.

And yes CPI and RPI are correct measures of inflation. The base interest rate is not - though it does tend to move in response to inflation - amongst other factors - yes.

I only mentioned the stock market gain of 2009 in response to what you wrote, which is: "let's face it: economic conditions haven't changed that much in the last 3 years." when in fact I beg to differ. In fact, on your note of inflation, the RPI went negative for the first time in 50 years in 2009:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8009718.stm

Again, showing how economic conditions have changed hugely in the last 3 years. Maybe next time you could link to some evidence showing how economic conditions 'haven't changed that much in the last 3 years' to back up what you say mkay? Or was it just something glib you wrote to counteract my first post which you now feel you can't back out of?
    Perhaps 'economic conditions' was the wrong phrase. Coming back to inflation, this is exactly my point: over the last 3 years, inflation has been next to nothing, so £250 in 2009 is worth not a huge amount more than £250 in 2012.

Yes I work too big deal. If you deign to comment further then perhaps you should reconsider your above posts also.
    I was stating a fact, as to why that post was somewhat rushed, not trying to put you down.

This, on the other hand, is just rude and condescending:
    Please don't bother replying, you'll only be wrong.

Thanks

Well no, they are just stating how much the new cards cost in GBP. There is no comparison going on, which is why pounds is a very valid currency. Using dollars here would be convoluted and unhelpful, given that it's a UK site. Using dollars to compare the MSRP on the other hand is valid because this is a comparison, is not intended to inform UK buyers about how much they would have to pay for the cards, and the fewer currency conversions the better given the vagaries of exchange rate fluctuations.
    Looks like our little tiff is winding down but I just don't get you on this. You honestly think that prices should be quoted in GBP *unless* it's for a time differentiated comparison in which case it should be in USD?! Even within the same article?

The parts (eg silicon chips) aren't even manufactured in America so even USD pricing has currency conversions built in which reflect economic conditions elsewhere in the world.

We have the pricing in GBP, it's a British site with majority readership living in Britain and no currency conversions are needed as we have a real and liquid market in the end product of these cards priced in GBP.

When we compare the price of mange tout over time, we don't need to convert back to Kenyan shillings because they are usually imported from Kenya and when we compare the price of ipads or xboxs over time we don't need to convert to Renminbi because they are manufactured in China or USD because they have a bigger market for them. We can just compare them in pounds stirling because that's what we buy them in. Your "vagaries of exchange rate fluctuations" argument seems like a convoluted counter to my argument that just doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Noli i agree with miniyazz on that bit, its right that when comparing the RRP that you should compare the RRP in the same currency and the one that it was originally listed as, both companies are from the US and it is originally stated in USD, in the UK if doing an upto date bargain hunt then yes using the current and relevant countries(UK) currency would be the better method, theres way to many variables for a generic review comparison so using the companies RRP is less prone to being effected by " special offers" and as such it offers a valuable comparison that stands the times, regardless of inflation or conversion rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by Noli View Post
    Looks like our little tiff is winding down but I just don't get you on this. You honestly think that prices should be quoted in GBP *unless* it's for a time differentiated comparison in which case it should be in USD?! Even within the same article?

The parts (eg silicon chips) aren't even manufactured in America so even USD pricing has currency conversions built in which reflect economic conditions elsewhere in the world.

We have the pricing in GBP, it's a British site with majority readership living in Britain and no currency conversions are needed as we have a real and liquid market in the end product of these cards priced in GBP.

When we compare the price of mange tout over time, we don't need to convert back to Kenyan shillings because they are usually imported from Kenya and when we compare the price of ipads or xboxs over time we don't need to convert to Renminbi because they are manufactured in China or USD because they have a bigger market for them. We can just compare them in pounds stirling because that's what we buy them in. Your "vagaries of exchange rate fluctuations" argument seems like a convoluted counter to my argument that just doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned.
    To answer your question, yes, but phrased slightly differently. If comparing RRPs, it should be in the currency they were set in. If comparing the cost of something then it should be in GBP, being a British site.
    Comparing mange tout or e.g. 5870 pricing over time should be done in GBP as it's relevant to people buying in GBP, but comparing MSRPs has no relevance to people buying as it is not directly applicable to actual street pricing. It is only useful as a standard metric through which different card prices can be compared. Since listing in GBP would have no benefit, even to British readers, but would introduce exchange rate inaccuracies, listing in dollars is more appropriate.

I hope I've explained myself better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information