Thread: Reviews - Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X OC Edition

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X OC Edition

Can a Vapor-X makeover bring out the best of AMD's Cape Verde XT?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X OC Edition

I am thinking about one of these to drive 3 monitors (DVI, DVI, HDMI). This was possible on the old Sapphire Flex range (6000 series), which seems to have been largely discontinued (only the anaemic 6770 flex seems to be available). So far, they don't seem to have made any 7000 flex cards, and I think I recall 7000 series having some changes to multi-monitor?

I'm not needing to run all 3 as one big hi-res desktop, but rather have dual DVI screens connected (for work), with a HDMI out to TV for movies etc.

Advice/suggestions very much welcomed. If this were possible, I think this card would be a nice update from my old 4850.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irien View Post
    I am thinking about one of these to drive 3 monitors (DVI, DVI, HDMI). This was possible on the old Sapphire Flex range (6000 series), which seems to have been largely discontinued (only the anaemic 6770 flex seems to be available). So far, they don't seem to have made any 7000 flex cards, and I think I recall 7000 series having some changes to multi-monitor?

I'm not needing to run all 3 as one big hi-res desktop, but rather have dual DVI screens connected (for work), with a HDMI out to TV for movies etc.

Advice/suggestions very much welcomed. If this were possible, I think this card would be a nice update from my old 4850.
    I don't thing you will have any problems with that setup, dual monitors and an output to a TV will be easily achievable with this card. Although if i were you i would pick this up from scan: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6870-double-d-cooling-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-1120-stream-processors-2x-dvi-hdmi-2x-mini - HD 6870 for £118.42, bargain! Strong all rounder and will beat the Sapphire if you wanted to play the occasional game!

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

AFAIK the 7000 series can still only power two monitors natively via HDMI/DVI, and you'll need an active DP adapter to run the third monitor. NVidia's kepler cards can power three non-DP monitors natively, but there's no midrange cards available *yet* (they are coming though). Or wait for a Sapphire flex version of the 7000 series cards - it's bound to come eventually

Incidentally, you describe the 6770 as anaemic, but the 7770 isn't actually that much faster - at stock clocks it generally puts less than 10% on top of a stock 6770. If you consider the 6770 anaemic, then you really need to be considering a faster card than the 7770, and if you want three screens that means a 6850/6870, or waiting until the midrange Kepler cards land...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    AFAIK the 7000 series can still only power two monitors natively via HDMI/DVI, and you'll need an active DP adapter to run the third monitor. NVidia's kepler cards can power three non-DP monitors natively, but there's no midrange cards available *yet* (they are coming though). Or wait for a Sapphire flex version of the 7000 series cards - it's bound to come eventually

Incidentally, you describe the 6770 as anaemic, but the 7770 isn't actually that much faster - at stock clocks it generally puts less than 10% on top of a stock 6770. If you consider the 6770 anaemic, then you really need to be considering a faster card than the 7770, and if you want three screens that means a 6850/6870, or waiting until the midrange Kepler cards land...
    You mean the power house which is the GT640??

The GTX660 is most likely to be more than £200,I suspect otherwise Nvidia would have a huge price gap between it and the GTX670. Also,it appears the GTX660 is using a 192 bit memory controller too.

Aria had an HD7950 3GB with three games for £249.99 last week,so I suspect the HD7870 and HD7850 will start dropping to much lower price points.

Thanks

That 6870 looks good, but surely I need a Flex version if I'm not using a DP-adapater?

How much hassle are the DP adapters? I really need to keep this simple for other family members etc. The attraction of the flex cards is the "plug and play" element.

I don't need them to be part of one giant Eye-Finity setup, but I would like to have all 3 connected, and maybe use extended desktop etc (or clone first screen onto TV?).

It is hard to get a handle on what can be achieved without DP adapter without a Flex card. (And I can't find anyone reputable with a 6870 flex in stock - even tried Amazon!).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dokdek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Black LP 2x4GB @1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Hitachi Deskstar 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZT Series 650w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Some Generic Cheap Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Some Virgin Connection

Anyone know where I can get one of these cards? I've been eyeing them for a while but I cant find them available anywhere in the UK.

Thread Information