Thread: Reviews - Lian Li PC-Q27

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Re: Reviews - Lian Li PC-Q27

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    There is - it's called "SFX", try googling for "SFX power supply" and you'll see that there's a lot available. There's a couple of reviews available, like hardware.info and the info given at Toms Hardware is pretty comprehensive.
    Not sure about the "silent" bit - because of the size of these PSU's they have to use smaller (and therefore faster spinning to move the same CFM) 80mm fans. Even so, it's possible to get sub 30dB units - which I know isn't strictly speaking silent, but it ain't no jumbo jet either! . As to "efficient", 80PlusGold units are available - e.g. Silverstone ST45SF-G, and that one's modular to boot - so efficient AND tidy too. Only downside of that particular unit is that it's a bit "rock 'n' roll" on the noise side - the fact that the spec page only quotes minimum noise level is always worrying. The Hardware.Info article quotes that supply with a tested noise level of 45dB ... time to reach for the ear protection?
    Thanks for the info, that ST45SF-G does look interesting, especially the modular aspect. On Scan the ST45SF-G has a Reevoo review, where one of buyers has replaced the fan in it with a much quieter one and he's happy with it now. I'm probably not going to do that when I build my new system within 18 months for Rome 2 etc, Silverstone might have a new modular model out by then with a quieter fan.
    Last edited by The Hand; 03-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • tekgun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z68 GD65 (G3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 2600k 4.5
      • Memory:
      • GSkill RipjawsX 1600 c8
      • Storage:
      • Crucial m4 64 x2 RAID0/ WD Black 640 x2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HIS HD7970Ghz X 1200/1600
      • PSU:
      • Antec TPQ 1000
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SA700D/Samsung P2450H
      • Internet:
      • BT Business 20Mb

"Performance Users" are not going to be replacing there desktops with these, no matter how refined. They might get one to compliment their desktop as a HTPC or home server maybe.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by tekgun View Post
    "Performance Users" are not going to be replacing there desktops with these, no matter how refined. They might get one to compliment their desktop as a HTPC or home server maybe.
    So "Performance Users" to you = "Hardcore Gamers" then? If not, then I'm going to disagree. Mini-ITX boards are available that support quite "high" level configuration. See this Anandtech article although they use a PC-Q30 rather than the PC-Q27 reviewed here.

Anandtech's config is 4770K and GF670 which seems like a pretty reasonable config. The only drawbacks I can see for the Q27 is that you've only got two disks available if you slap in that "extra" fan, and - more importantly - the Q27 is a single graphics slot v's the (far better!) dual slot Q30. Then again, I'm sure the dual-disk is a viable configuration for a lot of people - with an SSD for OS and apps, and a laptop style drive for user files.
    Last edited by crossy; 04-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

The Q27 case is perfect for htpc or light gaming. Using an Asrock Z87 mini itx board, 8 gigs G. Skill ram, i5 4670k with an Antec 620 Kuhler blowing out the bottom. For the PSU a Silverstone SFX 450 watt SFX modular. Samsung 840 Pro SSD for drive. ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 for GPU. Powerful set up for a tiny computer. Maybe more than light gaming, don't u think???

Thanks

I've done two builds using this case, one a home office machine with SSD and HD drives and the second a home theater PC for streaming video from the Internet and watching DVD/Blu-Ray videos. Each build used an Ivy Bridge i3 chip with on board Intel HD graphics so a separate GPU was not needed. I have a WiFi enabled MoBo so I don't need to string any ethernet cable to the HTPC unit.

One comment on the build shown in this review; the PSU is put in backwards. The fan side should face the MoBo to assist in ventilation. The way it's installed in the picture is less than optimum as it's too close to the side panel to do what Lian Li intended for this case. Finally, it's a good case for HTPC and office builds that don't require a lot of power. The case is cramped and care must be exercised when inserting the PSU (all wiring needs to be done before this final step!) as it's easy to dislodge SATA data and power connectors (and even the front panel headers).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information