Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality of reviews in general seem to be poor

Thanks
    as it answers some of the questions you had about the case that were actually contained in the review.....

I beginning to wonder whether I'm wasting my time....

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    yeah..think you might be.

Lets be more pro active...

Davidstone...dear chap...what do you WANT from our review?

If we can help...we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Un-Official HEXUS CS:S Clan Member/ajbruns man! Daymonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think hes being a tad awquard really, gordy has generally just taken his time and answered all your questions and your saying that didnt help you not even the slightest,
    thats a bit harsh isnt it, i generally find all the Hexus.net reviews of a very good standard
    and thats why i take my time to read mostly from hexus and most of the time the reviews will influence the way i buy as i know the guys know what there talking about and that if i buy the thing that there reviewing and they have rated it highly i will be getting a good product.

Comprende

Daymonkey/Stuart

Irc Channels To Join(Quakenet), #hexus.cs, #hexus.net

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy
    as it answers some of the questions you had about the case that were actually contained in the review.....
    I appreciate the time you've spent, but TBH, it doesn't answer the questions at all because the information isn't there in the first place. Which is fair enough - you approach products from a different perspective and require a more basic level of information. No big deal. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 09-11-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Okay, that's one case review that wasn't up to your standards, could you provide a list of the other "poor" reviews?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    I think what WE ALL have to remember is that a review, no matter how objective the reviewer tries to be, no matter how impartial, will always come down to opinion.

A good review views a product with an open mind, with no preconceptions and supplies as much factual detail as possible.

If an intake, for example, looks restrictive, how can the reviewer say that it is or isn't? He/she has to use an opinion as that sort of thing is not a quantative value that can be measured. The reviewer can only supply the facts, make their own judgement and leave it up to the reader to draw their own conclsusions too.

A review is there to help the reader make an informed choice, not make the choice for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    you mean people actually have to *think* for themselves ? Surely that would mean that there wouldn't be a scapegoat if they ever made a bad choice ?

we must have someone to blame ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28
    I appreciate the time you've spent, but TBH, it doesn't answer the questions at all because the information isn't there in the first place. Which is fair enough - you approach products from a different perspective and require a more basic level of information. No big deal. Thanks anyway.

I disagree the infomation is there.

I've owned nearly all the coolermaster range along with a whole heap of other cases , I've also built my own , converted mac/sgi cases etc

Different prespective maybe but I dont require basic level of info
    Last edited by Gordy; 09-11-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick
    you mean people actually have to *think* for themselves ? Surely that would mean that there wouldn't be a scapegoat if they ever made a bad choice ?

Oh and rofl nice 1 moby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick
    Human nature right there in one sentence, Moby.

BUT....

If you read a load of reviews on a product and they all come pretty close to one another, then who are you gonna blame?

Of course, the thing is that you might be after some specific info about a product which no review is either covering or investigating. I think if its pertinent to the choice being made (within the boundaries of the product's use) then asking for info is fair.

Saying a review is poor because it doesn't supply the info you need is a different matter though, as is saying that the reviews in general are poor.

Can I politely and with all respect ask for some more examples, or perhaps a dispassionate list of what would constitute a good review? Obviously, there are practical limits on what can be covered within a review of anything, and you have to make allowances for this.

A good example of that would be to say that the review doesn't mention the working life of a product, which is an impossibility to state given the fact that testing would have to continue until the product failed, which is neither practical or helpful.

So, if I may, can we have examples and suggestions of areas where you feel the reviews are lacking and what could be done to improve them? Perhaps if you raise these, we can address them and explain to your satisfaction why things are as they are?
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    If an intake, for example, looks restrictive, how can the reviewer say that it is or isn't?
    That's pretty worrying if you think that.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    So, if I may, can we have examples and suggestions of areas where you feel the reviews are lacking and what could be done to improve them? Perhaps if you raise these, we can address them and explain to your satisfaction why things are as they are?
    It's not so much for my satisfaction, its the general quality and depth of reviews that I'm commenting about.

If you're serious, then get the site owner(s) to contact me and we'll arrange a consultancy. We'll have a look at the site's business model, target audience, review structure, staffing levels and see if more detailed reviews will benefit the site or attract a wider target audience. Flame fests and defensive replies with people ranting, just waste my time. I can go to the OCuk forums if I wanted that

Un-Official HEXUS CS:S Clan Member/ajbruns man! Daymonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's not so much for my satisfaction, its the general quality and depth of reviews that I'm commenting about.

If you're serious, then get the site owner(s) to contact me and we'll arrange a consultancy. We'll have a look at the site's business model, target audience, review structure, staffing levels and see if more detailed reviews will benefit the site or attract a wider target audience. Flame fests and defensive replies with people ranting, just waste my time. I can go to the OCuk forums if I wanted that

Bit OTT, Ocuk bit was true though this is one persons opinion out of many thousands/millions that read hexus, there are many satsfied readers, there will always be a few dis-satisfied readers, i wont comment anymore as im not really anything to to with hexus im just a wee forums member.

Irc Channels To Join(Quakenet), #hexus.cs, #hexus.net

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Quality of critique in general seem to be poor.

Looks like we'll have to get a consultant in beens as people can't provide helpful critique via the forums.

Anyone know any website review consultants??? We'll spare no expense!!! We don't mind if he tells us we are doing everything wrong, and then provides no suggestions of how to improve.....

Butuz
    Last edited by Butuz; 10-11-2004 at 01:03 AM.

DR
    Thanks

Interesting Go to any other UK hardware site - none are working on a model built like ours - yet we are the most sucessful. Who makes you a person to judge on such a level?

Thanks
    That's pretty worrying if you think that.
    Hey, don't go taking quotes out of context.

For someone who is now offering a consultancy, it's pretty worrying if you do that.

But, as you've focused on that, I'm now very interested in how you would judge an intake to be restrictive, so please, using that example, explain.

I'd expect lots of flow rates, volume comparisons and the like... but how do you quantify something as 'restrictive'? From what you've said previously, you appear to be able to put a number on it, (or you think we should), so I'd like to know how.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information