Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviews - Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (28nm Maxwell)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Reviews - Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (28nm Maxwell)

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    Noisy under load?
    Difference between reference and custom is marginal at best.

You said simple and cheap - simple and cheap are single slot cheap coolers with spinny fans.

Anyway,it still does not mean the reference one will do better over extended gaming sessions.

The GTX660TI,GTX760 and Geforce Titan reference coolers were meant to be OK. The R9 290 reference cooler was meant to be OK. That was until some more investigative websites bothered to actually test them better. Everytime any reference card which has had boost clocks has been tested over an extended time period with a reference cooler,it has had problems with clockspeeds. Plus companies send cherry picked samples for review too - we simply don't know the voltage variation of the chips in the realworld.

Maybe the GTX750TI will buck this trend,but only after more people have got the card and there is more data out there.

You could be right about it all!

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Reading around this review and some of the other material out today on Maxwell releases, I suddenly realised what the real target for this card is ... Steam boxes.

A 60W 1080p gaming card? Frugal enough to run on a Pico PSU with a low power processor. Got to be, surely?
    Maybe a Brix type box,but even a 60W TDP GPU would struggle in such a small enclosure. It would need to be downclocked or at least binned in some way.

However,for the larger SteamBoxes it is still slower than a GTX660 or R9 270.

As Hexus said in their R7 265 review even a 300W PSU would be fine for it,and picoPSUs are flipping expensive. My 120W one with a 60W power block alone was worth at least £50.

My GTX660 and a Xeon E3 1220 consumes no more than 200W at worst in a game,ie,TR and Skyrim. Typically its under 180W at the wall.

Move over to a Haswell Core i3 or Core i5,and the power draw will be even less. Even the SteamBoxes with Geforce Titan cards were running off a Silverstone SFX 450W PSU.

What this is a laptop GPU,which uses a smaller die than the current chips which are GK106 based.

The GK106 is a much bigger chip than the GM107 and uses more GDDR5 chips due to its 192 bit memory controller. Nvidia can cut production costs using a GM107 chip,and cut down versions can get into thinner computers. I think Nvidia are aware of Iris Pro - Intel themselves were talking about the GTX650M if you remember.

They lost Apple contracts due to Iris Pro too in lower end models:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%2...m_Unibody_iMac

If you look at the iMac the 2012 model had all Nvidia GPUs. Last year Intel starting eating away at the low end.

The same is happening with the MBP.

Rumours are,that if Broadwell launches this year,it will be probably for Apple first. 14NM Iris Pro graphics would be a threat to the current Nvidia models deployed in the MBP and iMac and could end up replacing them.

Notice how OpenCL performance has improved too. Nvidia has never really bothered about it as they concentrated on CUDA. However,OpenCL is more important under the Apple ecosystem,so it fits that they improve that too,especially in the face of improvements in current IGPs in this regard.

20NM looks expensive and might be delayed for both AMD and Nvidia too.

The next MBP and iMac update should be in the next two months or so,and a 28NM Maxwell would be a good sell for Nvidia.

They can get traction before Broadwell appears.

Edit!!

I will now shut up in this thread.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-02-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Re: Reviews - Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (28nm Maxwell)

This is of course assuming Apple has any faith in NV. NV pretty much pissed on much of their relationship. It wouldnt take too much for either AMD or Intel to offer Apple to shut NV out.

Going to be time for popcorn and deckchairs m'thinks.
    And NVs PR ppl getting new kneepads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information