Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reviews - AMD FX-8370E 95W (32nm Vishera)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Reviews - AMD FX-8370E 95W (32nm Vishera)

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Not with a huge amount of certainty though - high end consumer is a very small market. If they had more money I think they'd rather dominate laptop/small device and server markets (thus we might hope to get some server offcasts, maybe).
    Not that long ago AMD said that one third of their market is AM3+

That makes it quite understandable that they concentrate on the APUs that make the bulk of their sales, but it is still a large enough market that I am sure they would want to hang onto it.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Not that long ago AMD said that one third of their market is AM3+

That makes it quite understandable that they concentrate on the APUs that make the bulk of their sales, but it is still a large enough market that I am sure they would want to hang onto it.
    Is that why these are then?

Whilst it doesn't warrant a huge amount of R&D there is small research being done and it is creeping along but in the meantime lets through them a bone to keep them keen?

I don't know. I will however drop into this discussion that I would love to see AMD be competitive at the high end again, and I supported this by purchasing one of there APU's.

( I know it was a first gen and I bought a fairly odd bit of tech, with it's ground breaking graphics capability and quad core from a very old architecture and power sharing constraints. It also annoyed me a little bit that the FM1 socket was dropped instantly but that's life. This processor is still going strong if anyone is interested XD )

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Indeed, that's what Intel provide

But no, no trickery. Simple market forces - buying an inferior product won't encourage a manufacturer to produce a superior product, it'll just encourage them to continue producing inferior products. Buying a superior product from a competitor, however, will.

But you may not need a superior product, in which case you should buy the inferior one at the best price you can, and competitors will target inferior products too.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Well I still feel the same. As others have also said - if we buy Amd products, they'll have more money. Then they have more to work with when it comes to the high end chips. I guess I don't have a lot to back up this bit up, but I just feel that Amd want to compete in the high end. I think they always have tried to. They like to appeal to gamers. Hopefully these Apu's will bring them in enough cash to get something together. Just one badass, high end cpu on a new chipset/socket from Amd is all we need I'm still waiting for it before I build a new gaming rig! Maybe the Apu's will get so good that you can just buy one of them and combine its gpu power with a dedicated pcie gpu.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    You are joking right? Intel cores are massive, hence the integrated graphics is gutless as they spend all the die space on CPU and cache.
    I only mean the chip in a physical sense. Their dies are huge but they still managed to keep it compact.

Though that aside I am all in for the "support AMD". But problem is they need more support than customers to keep them going in the higher end market. Though they can achieve this I believe.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
    I only mean the chip in a physical sense. Their dies are huge but they still managed to keep it compact.

Though that aside I am all in for the "support AMD". But problem is they need more support than customers to keep them going in the higher end market. Though they can achieve this I believe.
    I'm still wondering how much all the new console sales have done for them. Must've helped a bit....?

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    I'm still wondering how much all the new console sales have done for them. Must've helped a bit....?
    You'd expect, but then again who says they'd happily dump their profits from the console sales into the higher end market? They'd probably stick with innovating and improving their products on the mobile side of things.

They're focusing on strong GCN cores and pursuing hUMA and HSA, so I doubt they'd want to focus too much improving their x86 cores. I am not knowledgeable in CPU design but I'd wager that it is not justifiable.

Anyhow surely things are looking on the up for both parties (mainly AMD)? If developers do jump on HSA and start actually harnessing GCN cores we could see efficiency fly through the roof? GPU's ALUs are far more powerful than ALUs contained in processors, so why isn't it being used already? Or am I missing the point?
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • malmental's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • G Skill
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI 770's
      • PSU:
      • 900-watt 80+ Silver
      • Case:
      • A540
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Mini Sruuound
      • Internet:
      • 100 up 25 down

" Eight Intel cores are better than four, but four Intel cores are better than eight AMD ones. "
    Best joke of the day...

ZaO

You'd expect, but then again who says they'd happily dump their profits from the console sales into the higher end market? They'd probably stick with innovating and improving their products on the mobile side of things.

They're focusing on strong GCN cores and pursuing hUMA and HSA, so I doubt they'd want to focus too much improving their x86 cores. I am not knowledgeable in CPU design but I'd wager that it is not justifiable.

Anyhow surely things are looking on the up for both parties (mainly AMD)? If developers do jump on HSA and start actually harnessing GCN cores we could see efficiency fly through the roof? GPU's ALUs are far more powerful than ALUs contained in processors, so why isn't it being used already? Or am I missing the point?
    maybe they should think about keeping mantle closed source haha but they probably won't. and that's why we like amd ay

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    maybe they should think about keeping mantle closed source haha but they probably won't. and that's why we like amd ay
    Yeah making Mantle closed source would be a bad move. That would hurt them in many ways they are already going to face competition with Microsoft's DX12 and their improved efficiency.

That said Mantle would definitely help their APUs as we've seen.

AMD is a good company in general, they earn more respect from moi

ZaO

Yeah making Mantle closed source would be a bad move. That would hurt them in many ways they are already going to face competition with Microsoft's DX12 and their improved efficiency.

Right on

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

Same here. Lets just hope the Zen K12 chip is a game changer and not another bulldozer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information