Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OCZ Arc 100 (240GB)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Re: OCZ Arc 100 (240GB)

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Because warranties are all about fine margins, and mainstream components are all about headline price. You can guarantee they will have done extensive modelling on failures rates, return rates and consumer write loads. Offering a warranty isn't as simple as saying "99.99% of our drives will stand 100TB of writes so we'll warrant to that amount". There are far greater economic considerations than that, and if they can cut 2% off the shelf price of a drive by having a slightly lower or shorter warranty, that may be worth it. A quick browse of Scan suggests that OCZ have managed to undercut the BX100 by around 8%....
    Yes exactly, point made... they have cut costs to make the retail price cheaper and thus it would be uneconomical for them to warranty past 3 years and 22TBW at their selling price, as you say they have done modelling and that rather suggests to me that after the warranted usage failure rates may well shoot up. Hence I'd rather take that slightly more expensive option, I've got SSDs that have been going for 4-5 years now, so I do use them out that long.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Yes exactly, point made... they have cut costs to make the retail price cheaper and thus it would be uneconomical for them to warranty past 3 years and 22TBW at their selling price, as you say they have done modelling and that rather suggests to me that after the warranted usage failure rates may well shoot up. Hence I'd rather take that slightly more expensive option, I've got SSDs that have been going for 4-5 years now, so I do use them out that long.
    It probably isn't even any more failures than the more expensive drive, you're just paying less for a accept lower return rate.

I.E. if you have a return rate of 1% after 3 years and 2% after 4, you can offer the same product with different premiums to offset the return rates for the length of warranty - the 'premium' product basically comes with an 'extended warranty' that you paid for when you buy the product - it's not any less likely to fail, but you've already covered the cost of the replacements by charging more from the offset.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Fitted one of these over the weekend.......must say I wasn't blown away but that may have been a symptom of the CPU more then anything else (E1-1200).

Took quite a while (~3 hours!) to install Windows 8.1 from USB (Corsair slider 3.0) in UEFI mode, install Office 2013 and do the first round of ~120 Windows updates.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 870 @ 4270MHz (203.3 x 21)
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2) DDR3/2030
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Vertex2 + 1TB SATA (Spinpoint F3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW SLI
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

Ahh the OCZ hate continues, for no sensible rationale. What's so sad is that after the
    budget models which caused so many problems way back, OCZ did make some excellent SSDs,
    such as the Vertex4 and Vector. I've used lots of them. Plus, with the fw updated, the
    entire Vertex2E/3 series are very good, I have more than 40 of them, no problems so far
    (it's the old entry models like the Octane and Solid I would never use). Also, I suspect
    some people had problems with older models because they were connected to non-Intel
    SATA controllers; the only times I've ever seen any SSD act strange was when it's been
    connected to a Marvell controller. Always use an Intel controller to do fw updates.
    Atm I don't trust AMD's controllers after testing one board and observed awful SATA3
    performance.

What's interesting is the way new budget models from other vendors continue to cause
    problems for users these days (eg. MX100), but few seem to want to spew out the same
    kind of bile that was once spouted for OCZ. Samsung has messed up aswell, eg. the EVO
    performance drop, and Intel has made mistakes in the past too (eg. bricked 8MB issue),
    yet people and review sites are a lot more forgiving (why? I've read plenty of
    complaints about Samsung support recently, though I'd imagine Intel's support is good).

I picked up an Arc 240GB a while ago, speed-wise it was a lot better than I was
    expecting compared to other brands/models. See my results archive for various models
    tested with AS-SSD, CDM, HDTach and ATTO: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/ssdtests.zip

Btw Tarinder, why aren't you testing with AS-SSD aswell? And most of all, ATTO should
    have far less prominence, it really isn't that meaningful as benchmarks go. AS-SSD is
    the first thing I look at when a new model comes out. Of the tests you're using atm,
    CDM is probably the most useful. It's a pity though you didn't have a wider range of
    models for comparison, there are a few by Kingston and SanDisk which compete in this
    price range.

Also, you ought to cover steady-state performance and idle/load power consumption
    (especially idle usage, relevant for laptops, etc.)

And I think it would be good if you could try a sudden-power-loss test on the Arc,
    do the same test with the other models, see what happens, eg. 30 times. Have the PC
    running, then kill the power at the wall or just yank the plug out. Many will assume
    by historical association that the Arc would barf, but IMO the other models are
    equally likely to go fubar, probably more likely in the case of the MX100.

Ian.

PS. The Arc's endurance figure is more than acceptable for a standard client model.
    I have old Vertex2E 240s with more thsn 25TB written and they're still running fine.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mapesdhs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock P55 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 870 @ 4270MHz (203.3 x 21)
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2) DDR3/2030
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Vertex2 + 1TB SATA (Spinpoint F3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 460 1GB FTW SLI
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7/U/64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP 24" LP2475W
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit

PS. shaithis, use Autopatcher for all the initial updates. I have a ready-to-go
    2GB AP folder, stored on a 240GB Vertex3 MAX IOPS, I use it for all Win installs.
    Once done, the latest updates don't take so long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information