• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
    Nice card but I fancy their Hybrid Version more. The 980 Hybrid could clock to 1600 at about 50 degrees. Its about £50 more but worth it in my book.
    I did saw that just now after a quick Google to see what the acx looked like. I do like the idea of one of those. Might have to sit back and wait for the after markets to come out.

Thanks
    • Valenni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXUMUS VII RANGER
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 16GB 2133
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Velociraptor / 4TB Hitachi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 3mb :-(

Nice card but I fancy their Hybrid Version more. The 980 Hybrid could clock to 1600 at about 50 degrees. Its about £50 more but worth it in my book.
    Is that the Corsair style attached water block model? My case is pretty well cooled, but that looks sweet alright.

Don't see a release date or price for UK / Ireland yet?

Thanks
    • Valenni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I have the ACX GTX780 SC at the moment and it is an amazing cool card. (Although my HAF X is a cool case)

It works very well IMO. Certainly good for overclocking.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valenni View Post
    Is that the Corsair style attached water block model? My case is pretty well cooled, but that looks sweet alright.

Don't see a release date or price for UK / Ireland yet?
    UK price is £649 at ocuk, pre-order only at the moment so who can say but I suspect a week or two.

Should run super cool and quiet.

A quick you-tube link to the standard 980 version that has had glowing reviews.

Thanks
    • Valenni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Looks good mate. Looks like you can't go wrong with any of them. I use the Corsair H80+ for my CPU, so the integrated waterblock / fan hybrid works a treat!

I would say we should get them mid next week?

Registered+
    Thanks

The titan will not boost as high. They are both TDP limited at 250Watts and that extra cuda cores and vram take a little extra juice. Expect 50mhz more on average from the Ti.
    From the stock Bios I had, the max TDP for a titan X is 275W and I think you comment only holds true if the chips are like for like of the same quality (i.e. they require the same voltage to be stable at the same TDP) using a stock GPU bios (I've set my TDP limit to 300w for example).

From the power benchmarks and at least from the sample Hexus has, it doesn't seem like they are. But I agree it will be interesting to see what other 980Ti owners find.

Registered+
    Thanks

In case peeps are interested, here's a screen shot of my titan at idle with a boost of 1430, a TDP of 300w and a voltage of 1.225v using just the stock cooler:

With the the TPD lifted it always runs at the boost clock and temps hover around >80C less than the default throttle of 83. Goes to show how good the titan coolers are :-)

Thanks

RIP Titan X cards, I honestly thought the titan will beat the 980ti by 5%. Now I'm totally confused.

Thanks

Thanks for the review, but I'm astonished not to see any GTA:V benchmarks? I think you've missed out there.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by een4dja View Post
    The titan will not boost as high. They are both TDP limited at 250Watts and that extra cuda cores and vram take a little extra juice. Expect 50mhz more on average from the Ti.
    From the stock Bios I had, the max TDP for a titan X is 275W and I think you comment only holds true if the chips are like for like of the same quality (i.e. they require the same voltage to be stable at the same TDP) using a stock GPU bios (I've set my TDP limit to 300w for example).

From the power benchmarks and at least from the sample Hexus has, it doesn't seem like they are. But I agree it will be interesting to see what other 980Ti owners find.
    Sorry i meant 250 watts before the allowable 10 percent adjustment.

Anandtech got the 980ti 50mhz higher than the titan, and speculated that it was the titan had move vram to power, I agree though that the titan is a higher binned chip and so it could cancel this out. There is always some variability and the may have just got a good ti chip.

The custom bios looks the way to go to get the most out of either product. Have you adjusted your fan profile as well?

Registered+
    Thanks

Sorry i meant 250 watts before the allowable 10 percent adjustment.

Anandtech got the 980ti 50mhz higher than the titan, and speculated that it was the titan had move vram to power, I agree though that the titan is a higher binned chip and so it could cancel this out. There is always some variability and the may have just got a good ti chip.

The custom bios looks the way to go to get the most out of either product. Have you adjusted your fan profile as well?
    Yep. I've found running memory closer to 2Ghz causes throttling unless I start pushing above 325W TDP, so I've reduced it for day to day use. Increases don't seem to yield much in the way of additional performance anyway.

Not in the bios but I've seen others doing that. I wrote my own fan controller to manually control the card's fan (via NVAPI, the same interface NV Inspector uses) and also system and CPU fans (via an Arduino Uno) a while back:

That's a screenshot of running Firestrike and then idling. My fan controller gives me the flexibility to change my profile without reflashing the bios and enables me to create rules to correlate fan speeds (i.e. when the GPU is hot increase GPU and SYS fans together). I also wrote it as SpeedFan at the time didn't support my Super I/O chip and the Asus M/B fan controller was limited to using only the CPU temp as input for SYS fans :/

I currently run at 75% or 3600RPM when the card is over 55C, as this gives me the best compromise between noise and temps:

Registered+
    Thanks

Interesting, so still some room to run a little cooler if you turned the fans up full.

Very wise regarding the memory chips. I can't remember what site it was on but they did some thermal imaging and they were definitely the hottest part of the unit especially when overclocked.

I've never flashed a custom bios to a GPU, and always just set the fan curve with Afterburner. To be fair though there wasn't much point with the GTX 980 anyway as it wasn't TDP limited. I plan on picking up the Hybrid 980ti and will definitely have a go with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information