• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Just thought you might find the idea interesting. Armchair architecture and even marketing can be fun.

We've been here before with the whole 3GB argument. It seems to get you quite worked up. 3GB really it isn't worth popping a blood vessel over. Yes 3GB should put it into the budget category and nvidia aren't charging budget money, but page after page of graphs is I think just making people glaze over at this point so I don't think you are advancing your cause.
    Remember,Tunnah was the one who pointed it out,so maybe you need to ask "why he was also worked up". If worked up means actually linking to loads of sites,you might need to ask why they are worked up themselves.

They found the issues,not me. Shooting the messenger comes is not really a defence for you or anybody else.

The question is why are YOU worried if I post links showing problems with the card??

No I think the absolute level of denial by some on a tech forum is astounding - I even got mates who don't post on here LOLing at it. They know because they got stung by certain famous cards,or know mates who have been stung! In fact I think Hexus is probably one of the worst for it - not even OcUK has many defenders of it,even from the traditional Nvidia crew,since people who got stung by some other cards mentioned it,and the other bloke posts on OcUK like me too!

Like I said the card will do well for certain games,but at the same time saying the GTX1060 3GB=GTX1060 6GB,is just a joke. Remember,since the last time,the list has grown even more now.

Remember,the GTX1060 3GB defenders are making the claims that over 3GB makes no difference.

It also for me is quite dishonest to hide every fault of the GTX1060 3GB - you say I get worked up,its the 3GB defenders who get worked up in every thread and get increasingly annoyed when the card they love is obviously having issues. Then they play the victim so to avoid looking at anything.

I predict it will have more and more issues and the denial and deflection will increase.

People will lie to defend this card,so to sell it as equal to the GTX1060 6GB. It isn't,which to me is distorting the truth to a potential purchaser of the card.

They need to be informed and if you have problems with that,I hope none of you laugh at Trump,ever.

I find it actually weirder,that Tunnah(like me) have probably seen what VRAM limitations are like first hand and people seem so resistant to the fact it is an issue,and ultimately it questions why if you CBA to look at charts ate multiple major sites,why you should even be bothered being on a tech forum or reading reviews??

If you don't care then you won't be on a tech forum??

Its like being on an auto forum and people are talking about the best oil and somebody saying whats the point of the best oil I just go to the garage,you saddos,all pointless and nobody cares.

If you don't care,why be on a forum??

People on forums do care,otherwise they won't be so resistant to ignoring any flaws of the GTX1060 3GB.

We have been down this road for the last decade - the low VRAM defenders on performance cards make up every excuse and then run away when it is obvious its an issue.

Its almost like the defenders of the GTX1060 3GB only want to have nice things said about it?? We have been down this road before,with people religiously defending some cards. I remember on this very forum some jumping on saying me about how the GTX560TI 1GB was a better choice over the HD6950 2GB,since the GTX560TI could hit 1GHZ and VRAM was not important.

One or two of the major protoganists for the argument,actually lied through their teeth. I saw them on another forum bemoaning the fact they could not even hit 1GHZ on their cards,etc. The whole line of 1GHZ GTX560TI cards actually had major issues and a number of models were withdrawn,which they never really updated the thread either.

Did,they come back and say anything,nope?? The same with the 8800GT 256MB defenders. On places like OcUK which is a much bigger forum than Hexus,people are actively discourging people buying the 3GB card,unless in specific situations.

People basically making up fibs that the GTX1060 3GB=GTX1060 6GB 100% of the time,when obviously it isn't is twisting things.

Remember,what DF said:

The visual improvement found in super high resolution texture packs may be limited, but we certainly wouldn't want to drop down to medium quality artwork on future titles in order to sustain the expected level of performance.

In the here and now, the three gig GTX 1060 is a good card with excellent performance at its £189/$199 price-point, but its VRAM allocation may well hit its limits more quickly than the four gigs found in the RX 470/480. None of the new wave of sub-£200/$200 graphics cards should be entirely ruled out, and this pared back GTX 1060 still packs plenty of punch - but investing just a little extra in the GTX 1060 6GB would be our recommendation. With certain six gig versions retailing under the initial suggested price-point, grabbing the more capable model needn't break the bank.
    That is the last bit of their conclusion. They thought it was important to mention the VRAM limitations TWICE.

DF is part of Eurogamer one of the BIGGEST gaming sites. Despite the best efforts of the GTX1060 3GB internet defence force,they had concern like me about the VRAM amount. But we all know that when Nvidia refreshes their range next year,they will all quietly forget about it,just like the 8800GT 256MB defence force forgot about it once the 9600GT 512MB came out.

Or are they getting worked up too??

Don't think so!

If there was NO RX470,RX480 or GTX1060 6GB,the GTX1060 3GB would look better from a GTX960/R9 380 owners point of view.

Accept as pointed out many sites,it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    We also mustn't forget the willingness of a large number of gamers to just turn on geforce experience and have it manage game settings automatically, which you would expect would be doing things with texture sizes to keep mem usage reasonable. There are always going to be the ultra/high settings for games in order to appease titan etc. owners but most people (and despite the price, I think nVidia are targetting the 1050 and 1060 3gb cards at relatively high numbers of people - ditto the 460/470) are going to be fine. Of course, it won't look ultimately as good as someone using a red team card, but they won't be doing back to back comparisons so won't know.
    Most people buy prebuilt computers anyway,and Nvidia will get these into plenty of OEM rigs,since companies like cheaper PSUs!

But interestingly enough both the RX470 and RX480 have started to appear in far more laptops and prebuilt desktops from companies like Alienware and HP,when compared to the last generation.

I dunno,I don't think I know that many people actively use GE - this is why they have been ramping the promotions to give away free games,etc. It comes bundled with the drivers,so it will auto-install so I am not sure if that denotes a larger userbase??

But if you go onto places like Reddit,quite a number of people say to uninstall it as they think it drops performance and reddit is pretty popular.

I think Shadowplay might be more useful,if you stream stuff or do Youtube,but I doubt most gamers actually care.

The probably is people said the 8800GT 256MB was fine,etc - accept I knew people who got stung by that card who were really annoyed when it did have issues.

Just the "they don't know better" argument so please hide the problems the GTX1060 3GB have hit,is not really an excuse in its own right.

What about the millions of gamers who mod games - not even the mod authors say a 3GB card is enough at times.

Millions of non-gaming enthusiasts use places like NMM,etc and some of the mods are incredibly popular.

Plus on a tech forum,excuse making for a VRAM gimped card and doing everything to hide the limitation comes accross as being denial. The excuse most people won't know better,means we might as well not bother analysing anything cause companies know best??

It was tech forums which lead to all the controversy over the GTX970 VRAM and the fact that the case against Nvidia won,ie,they got that $30 back for gamers.

Remember the same denial from some to almost stupid levels over that??

In fact the whole async thing too.

The interesting thing,is I have bumped into people who are gamers,and they have interestingly talked about the last two points - the whole GTX970 debacle is actually more well known than enthusiasts give gamers credit for. It was mentioned on gaming sites too.

I suspect,that is why AMD has started to regain marketshare even before Polaris up to a degree and why the RX480 actually seems to have sold reasonably well despite another flawed AMD launch.

In fact from reading other forums,the GTX1060 actually is now undercutting it in price in plenty of countries,which is very interesting indeed.

The whole GTX1060 3GB SKU sounds more and more like a 8800GT 256MB,ie,a kneejerk product which really has no place in the Nvidia line-up. Look at how close in price it is to the GTX1050TI models many review sites tested??

Look at the last three generations of Nvidia cards,ie, GTX660,GTX760 and GTX960?? Look at the clear gaps up to the 70 series cards?

The RX480 4GB was the same for AMD - it was only a short term marketing SKU to hit the $200 mark but it was popular enough for AMD to keep making it. I think Gibbo from Caseking/OcUK mentioned he had to push some OEMs quite hard to get more 4GB cards made. This explains why the RX470 4GB pricing was so awkward,ie,it only took the recent price drops to make it look better.

TLDR: If people have issues showing that independent websites highlighted problems with some card they really love,and then jump on the messenger and not the sites highlighting the problem,then ultimately then play victim and say that nobody cares since nobody goes on tech sites and forums and companies know best,then why bothered being on a tech forum or read a review for anything. Just read the PR bumpf and be happy.

This is your best set of resources for you next purchase:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php
    http://www.amd.com/en-us

Also you can write a letter of complaint,to the Digital Foundry,Guru3D,Techspot,Hexus,Computerbase.de and that YT channel:

http://www.eurogamer.net/contact.php
    http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/contact-us.html
    http://www.techspot.com/about/
    http://hexus.net/contact/
    https://www.computerbase.de/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7DuIIzOuE

They produced the charts I used,so if you have an issue with the message,go and ask them why they were so bad to show all the graphs putting the poor GTX1060 3GB in a less than favourable light. Maybe you can petition them to change the results??
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-11-2016 at 02:35 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Remember,Tunnah was the one who pointed it out,so maybe you need to ask "why he was also worked up". If worked up means actually linking to loads of sites,you might need to ask why they are worked up themselves.
    Whoa, so much text. I will try and read it later when I get home, but I can't ingest that on company time.

But from the first bit, yeah Tunnah started this with a single throwaway line. But either you can type *amazingly* fast or I just think you are investing too much time in this. Just worrying for you mate.

People will lie to defend this card,so to sell it as equal to the GTX1060 6GB.
    Yeah sometimes people on the Internet are wrong. If they were the sort of person to read lots of graphs then they would have worked out they were wrong already. Or perhaps they just like pushing your buttons. Either way I think Tunnah pretty much nailed it in just two paragraphs in http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-review...ml#post3723097

If you want to convince people that 3GB is bad, you need a *short* and clear message. If that doesn't convince them, they are beyond help so just move on. Their reward for not listening is looking at reduced textures that fit in their reduced ram, no-one dies, but it is the only way some people will learn.

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (03-11-2016),Tunnah (03-11-2016)

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Wow this got HEATED. Well all that's said pretty much covers it.

CAT I think at one point you confused DancesWithUnix for jiggers ha.

But ya, think we're done here. Good fight *shakes gloves*

Also I really need to change my name from Tunnah. It's my surname, and literally the only place online I use it is here (even facebook I use a fake name), so it always startles me when I see someone say it haha.

Anyway CAT and jiggers thanks for the discourse

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Whoa, so much text. I will try and read it later when I get home, but I can't ingest that on company time.

But from the first bit, yeah Tunnah started this with a single throwaway line. But either you can type *amazingly* fast or I just think you are investing too much time in this. Just worrying for you mate.

Yeah sometimes people on the Internet are wrong. If they were the sort of person to read lots of graphs then they would have worked out they were wrong already. Or perhaps they just like pushing your buttons. Either way I think Tunnah pretty much nailed it in just two paragraphs in http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-review...ml#post3723097

If you want to convince people that 3GB is bad, you need a *short* and clear message. If that doesn't convince them, they are beyond help so just move on. Their reward for not listening is looking at reduced textures that fit in their reduced ram, no-one dies, but it is the only way some people will learn.
    Aye, I always thought mine was good enough tbh, less VRAM = more swapping = worse minimum FPS, and also you can't use higher res textures.

The driver argument I'm not a fan of. Textures are textures, drivers don't really affect that all too much

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I find my wall of text skills on the interwebs improved by 20% down to the mechanical keyboard I now use. I think my posting style is more like "stream of thoughts" which is probably why I type so much. On a more serious note,mechanical keyboards are so much easier to type on and I am probably reasonably fast as a typist.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Mechanical keyboards are ####e, there is no need for them, chiclet has more than enough movement for now or the future

(Sorry couldn't resist haha)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Mechanical keyboards are ####e, there is no need for them, chiclet has more than enough movement for now or the future

(Sorry couldn't resist haha)
    LOL,I got mine for £30 since Argos when their distributor made a pricing error. I do still like the LCD on my old G15 though so that actually gets used.

Thanks

I'd like to see the 970 and 980 added to the charts as the second hand prices have fallen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information