• Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Re: Corsair One Pro

[QUOTE=whatif;3788062]Always interested to see how companies are approaching this type of build and enjoyed the read.

no m.2QUOTE]

It is worth noting that although the configuration page doesn't currently allow you to select an M2 SSD, there is an M2 slot on the motherboard should you decide you want to upgrade it yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by vitorppub View Post
    it doesnt look like it has alot of airflow :\
    It has a very, low profile liquid cooling solution that covers both the CPU and GPU along with a small fan that cools the GPU RAM.

It also pulls air in through the perforated sides and then out through the top, there is a fair amount of airflow and from a video review I have seen elsewhere, it does quite well at keeping the system cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    I do believe what EndlessWaves actually said was dropping the top of the range card down to 50W not from 267W (Reference 1080Ti) or 293W (Asus 1080Ti, both from TPU who measure the card not the system) down to 217W or 243W:

As for equipping this with a more powerful card, like you suggested:

Well, (again taking W1zzard's figures from TPU) the 1080 is 184W while the 1080Ti is 267W and dispensing an extra 80W+ in such a small case might be a problem.

Actually, now that I think of it: while it is nice of sites like TPU to measure the card on its own so that people can work out how much of their PSU's power budget it takes, it doesn't tell you the whole story about the required cooling as if a card used 250W and is powered by a 90% efficient PSU it will draw 278W from the wall and the extra 18W wasted by the PSU have to extracted from the case too.

On the other hand, Hexus only measured 44W extra for the ref 1080Ti vs their EVGA 1080:

So while the good thing about this Corsair One Pro versus something like the MSI Nightblade is that takes standard desktop parts, I would imagine replacing the 1080 with that Inno3D iChill 1080 Ti would be asking for trouble, or at the very least push the noise up hugely.
    A load GPU temp of 64 degrees is nothing - there's loads of headroom for extra GPU heat. Corsair also offer one with a water cooled 1080ti, which is guaranteed to use the same cooler. If you fit an aftermarket GPU with a decent air cooler you'll massively increase the amount of air sucked into the case; GPU cooling is not any issue with this case for any released GPU (only GPU compatibility issue would be finding somewhere to fit the radiator for the fury x or 295x2, nothing else should cause issues)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Well, Larrabee was mostly a $1billion* disaster for Intel. Okay Knights Landing is based on that but so far that hasn't really sold that well AFAIK.
    Don't forget the i740 graphics card which unfortunately did get to market and took a solid beating from the competition. That was integrated into Intel's 810 chipset, where it was worth buying a plug in Nvidia card just to get a stable system with decent drivers even if you were doing basic office tasks.

Don't ever wish for an Intel graphics card, their history there isn't a good one.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... Knights Landing is based on that but so far that hasn't really sold that well AFAIK. ...
    KNL is actually getting quite a decent leverage in HPC and research applications as an accelerator - a number of academic HPC clusters have thrown in with Intel and are getting good support from them. But it is purely a compute card now, they have no pretensions towards graphics with it.

EDIT: actually, I've been off to have a quick check and it looks like it might also be available as a standalone system as well as a compute card now.... (as in you can run the OS on it too)...

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Well, okay so they are selling KNL but my point was more that even if Intel were willing to pour lots of money into it, there's little guarantee that they would design a competent GPU.
    In fact aside from process, it seems a large percentage of areas Intel do pour money into don't work out too well.
    • $4 billion trying to break into mobile after years of neglecting Atom
    • Itanium
    • McAfee
    • Attempting to break big-time in the networking market (early 2000s I think, came across that once when looking up contra-revune for Atom)
    • (mostly) Larrabee

Each of these ventures is meant to have burned through tons of money, but none of them have much to show for themselves. Even KNL getting somewhere has more to do with Intel's process advantage and that they're willing and able to invest heavily in compilers and stuff than the architecture's merit. Their x86 everywhere strategy makes it hard to think of different ways of doing things. Back in early 1980s if someone had been asked which CPU would dominate (x86, Motorola 68k and maybe SPARC or some other RISC) who would have believed that the hack which is x86 would have won. Luck, shrewdness, and a willingness to play very dirty have served Intel very well, but maybe because they are so big and profitable they often seem to be able to throw a lot money away.

@DanceswithUnix
    I actually had an 740 back in the day and I don't recall any drivers issues. Was an okay basic 3D card for around £35 or so.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    One of the first pre built small form factor gaming rigs I've seen that I actually like, the fact that the GPU is water cooled is also a big plus.
    Indeed, now if only they would sell the case / psu and watercooling components as one seperate thing and let people put their own kit inside.

Limitations on storage / RAM / GPU / OS choice irk me personally. Love the asthetics and design of the machine though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Oops my bad. Weird point to make, power usage is directly connected to performance, sure newer tech and manufacturing processes improve it, but the goal is to get the most performance, not use the least power
    Performance is relative, power consumption is not.

Sure, dropping the power consumption substantially will mean we'd only have the performance from five years ago... but I'm not finding games any more enjoyable now than they were half a decade ago.

Technology would continue to advance, you'd see exactly the same performance gains from each new release. Everything would continue as normal, it would just be more in line with normal computers.

And we'd get all the benefits of lower power consumption of course. Fancy gaming in 4K on a 1kg laptop for 12 hours on battery?

Spreadie

I don't do pre-built PCs and I'm not a huge fan of Corsair, but I rather like the look of that.

I wouldn't buy one, lord no, but it looks damned good.

Registered+
    Thanks

So they made a custom case without a window or in my opinion something that doesn't look so good, with a pre-build pc inside.
    Also, the CPU runs warm...
    Well I'm not impressed.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Lichachron View Post
    So they made a custom case without a window or in my opinion something that doesn't look so good, with a pre-build pc inside.
    Also, the CPU runs warm...
    Well I'm not impressed.
    But it only measures 200x180x380 which just over 13 litres. And it can cope with at least 260W+ (the 1080Ti version should more still) and take a long graphic card. Here's a skinflint list of mITX case under 15L which can take 280mm+ cards
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehatx&...E9691_Mini-ITX
    Don't think many (any?) of those would be able to cope with all that hardware.
    Pity it's not available as a case though, maybe some other case manufacturer will design something similar but it's the AiO watercooling which makes it possible. A quick google shows cases like the Lian Li PC-Q37 or the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv as being consider mITX case suitable for watercooling but they 30 litres or so.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

I wonder if you could make a watercooled version of one of those aluminium passive cases where the outer body of the case is the heatsink? Like the streacom stuff. The pump would add noise, so hopefully you could isolate the pump enough that it wasn't significant. The big benefit would be that you have flexible tubes connecting the hot parts, rather than inflexible heatpipes - there's been at least one instance of accidental damage to the heatpipes severely reducing the performance of one of those cases on this forum, so it would be both easier to build in and have much wider motherboard support.

One with a thermosyphon pump would be ideal, but harder to design.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Performance is relative, power consumption is not.

Sure, dropping the power consumption substantially will mean we'd only have the performance from five years ago... but I'm not finding games any more enjoyable now than they were half a decade ago.

Technology would continue to advance, you'd see exactly the same performance gains from each new release. Everything would continue as normal, it would just be more in line with normal computers.

And we'd get all the benefits of lower power consumption of course. Fancy gaming in 4K on a 1kg laptop for 12 hours on battery?
    We're getting the benefits of lower power consumption anyway - as you allude to in your last sentence, laptop performance is arguably more of a driver of new designs than flagship GPU performance so low power parts are ending up in laptops as soon as possible already. The existence of flagship 250W products doesn't mean that everyone has to buy them, it only means that in order to run the latest games at max settings at in-vogue resolutions you need to have a power-hungry system - games will happily run on 75W cards, albeit not at max settings or resolution, so if you'd rather stick to lower power kit and games that are old enough to get a steam sale then you'd get exactly the experience you describe

Thanks

Two questions:
    1. How did you get the MSI vortex to idle at 35 degrees? My vortex idles at around 50 degrees.
    2. So their promised 20dB noise level is false, right? I sit right by the case and don't want to hear the fan on idle.

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    Always interested to see how companies are approaching this type of build and enjoyed the read.

no m.2QUOTE]

It is worth noting that although the configuration page doesn't currently allow you to select an M2 SSD, there is an M2 slot on the motherboard should you decide you want to upgrade it yourself

If you had taken more time to read my comment, you would notice that you missed the point I made entirely.

I did not say anything about no M.2 slot, and I actually did read that it had one, but that was not the point - the point I made was doing anything to rectify the situation would mean pulling your brand new expensive Corsair apart and spending even more money.

Plus you also missed that the memory can be upgraded if you wanted to spend even more money

My comment was written in the context of the review samples, was it good value for money? and compared it to something of better value.

For your edification, and the use of a lot more words,, I shall break it down for you in more detail.

I said "Though I was surprised with a couple of things - only 2400MHz ram, no m.2 (although I will agree, the average person may not tell the difference), and to top it off, a little pricey without these better parts"
    Meaning slower memory and no M.2 SSD in the model reviewed

And put that statement in with a comparison used in the Corsair review " - the Scan 3XS Z170 Vengeance Q performed as well or better for £400 less (no in game comparisons)."
    Meaning that for £400 less, I can buy the Scan PC and if you look at it's specs, it comes standard with a Samsung 256GB 950 Pro M.2.

No need to spend even more money on the already expensive Corsair One (£400 more), you could just buy the Scan PC and have £400 left over towards a upgrade to a 1080 Ti Hybrid if you wanted.

I left out a comment that the Scan PC also has faster memory - 3000MHz compared to the Corsair's 2400MHz, because I had already made my point - the one you missed.

So what I meant is which PC is better value as reviewed?
    Last edited by whatif; 11-04-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information