• BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080

I am really pleased with the benchmark results personally - they show major performance improvements @ 1440p/ultra which is exactly what i was hoping for - seems to be an average of 40-50% increase in FPS compared to my existing 1080 FE. I am not remotely interested in 4K gaming until you can run @ ultra settings averaging *over* 60fps - but the generation is a big step towards that so we might finally hit that point in 2 years, when I might be ready to upgrade again.

It's a big upgrade based on the benchmarks - only real question for me now is will Nvidia get my card shipped today or not?

I do find it entertaining how many people are "surprised" that the 2080 is only a bit faster than the 1080ti in current games (or the same in some) - surely that was to be expected? Top end card from last year is roughly the same as a mid range card from this year. Seems normal to me.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

People have to consider(as some others have said here),that all these RTX stuff,etc looks like Nvidia trying to use the commercial aspects of their GPUs for gaming.

Remember until Maxwell,the top GPU core made by AMD or Nvidia was used for dual purposes - for top end gaming and for commercial purposes. However,this has lead to issues with larger chips and features not used for gaming. With Maxwell and Pascal Nvidia bifurcated the lines,one set orientated towards normal FP32 performance used in games and the other towards FP64/FP16 based compute operations,etc. Now,with Turing they can start to go back to using one line,as they are trying to use all the stuff in the GPU which would not be used normally for games,in gaming,ie,its not wasted.

Thanks

Wow, I'm really quite surprised how poorly Turing fares in reviews. Sure, we weren't realistically expecting 28nm Maxwell > 16nm Pascal uplift in performance but reviews really aren't selling Turing, and that surprises me given Nvidia's ability to market their way out of situations. Not even a demo of RTX stuff to say 'yeah but look at what it will be like!'

2080 is basically 1080Ti performance for... more money? Deal of the century there Nvidia.

And before anyone points at RTX, are you really suggesting paying that sort of money to be a beta tester for completely unproven technology given there are no actual games out yet? It's a complete unknown at this point.

WRT comments on 2080 performance vs 1080 - OF COURSE IT IS!??!! It's far more expensive, just like a 1080Ti is more expensive, will probably drop in price shortly, and gives you roughly the same in existing games. People aren't necessarily surprised at Nvidia's arbitrary branding of their products, more at the fact that you get nothing more for the same money. The difference this generation is that the 'Mid' hard (lol) has the pricing of the top-end card from last year. That's not even a sensible point to be bringing up!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

My major technical complaint is that the RTX2080 appears to have dropped 3GB of VRAM compared to the GTX1080TI,which is an issue if you are running games at higher resolutions,or do things like modding.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Nvidia is therefore taking a calculated gamble that an array of games developers will integrate the necessary support for its RTX cards to truly shine. They are pregnant with performance promise, evidenced by the brief DLSS and ray tracing evaluation, and they will begin to make more sense as and when software catches up with all-new hardware.
    Here in lays the crux of the problem with the new cards. Absolutely when it works DLSS is a pretty marked change in performance, as PC gamers though we all know well enough how much of a struggle it is to get developers to do anything other than port the console version of their games to PC. Nvidia has taken a massive gamble here and priced accordingly (exorbitantly) on the premise that other parties not subject to Nvidia's whims comply.

Why would developers? They'll develop for the mainstream market, with the odd outlier developer here and there. At the prices Nvidia is charging, they'll not gain the market share they'll require with the new cards and new features to really be able to push for that anytime soon. Unless of course they have some sneaky planned obsolescence for older hardware in the pipeline a couple of years down the line? Which means, it isn't going to happen for the mainstream for a few years yet, so why buy now for something unsupported?

Unless I'm missing something and DLSS is coming to all recent generations of Nvidia cards Soon™?

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

It could be that the inflated prices for the new tech that we as consumers have to pay if we want the cards is going to be used by nvidia to bribe the game devs to include these features in their games and this is a way that nvidia can do it without having to spend too much of their own cash to do it.

chj
    Thanks
    • chj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • SATA SSD/HDD combo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GTX 780Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Here in lays the crux of the problem with the new cards. Absolutely when it works DLSS is a pretty marked change in performance, as PC gamers though we all know well enough how much of a struggle it is to get developers to do anything other than port the console version of their games to PC. Nvidia has taken a massive gamble here and priced accordingly (exorbitantly) on the premise that other parties not subject to Nvidia's whims comply.

Why would developers? They'll develop for the mainstream market, with the odd outlier developer here and there. At the prices Nvidia is charging, they'll not gain the market share they'll require with the new cards and new features to really be able to push for that anytime soon. Unless of course they have some sneaky planned obsolescence for older hardware in the pipeline a couple of years down the line? Which means, it isn't going to happen for the mainstream for a few years yet, so why buy now for something unsupported?

Unless I'm missing something and DLSS is coming to all recent generations of Nvidia cards Soon™?
    It's worth just observing this generation to see how developer uptake goes but it's got to start somewhere right? Incentives for developers could be getting the extra frames using DLSS means more leeway in other areas but that doesn't matter if it's not coming to gpus lower in the series. Plus i guess it depends on how easy Nvidia have made it is for developers to implement and do the whole computational work for users to download. So basically I have no idea and I'm just going to wait and see.

Thanks

Whoever buys this at this price should knows that they are the ones making possible for companies like nVidia and Apple to up the price just like there's no tomorrow.

I can not understand no one that "needs" to buy this right away, without waiting at least for end of the year and possible AMD's answer. I wouldn't even consider this for a new rig, cause this generation will not last long.

nVidia wants their cards on 7nm so that the die can be smaller, so that the chip can be cheaper for them. So you can expect already next summer new cards. Better, faster, more features.

Be smart.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

Registered+
    Thanks

Has nobody noticed the TAA benchmark when pre DLSS the 2 cards performed the same?

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

Nice review, nice performance, terrible pricing. It's getting scary how much graphics cards are costing now. It seems like we are forced to pay more and more for every new generation, far beyond inflation. For that reason, reviews of cards like this are just there for me to look at fancy numbers, and dream, since I'll never in a million years spend such silly money on a single component.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Why would developers? They'll develop for the mainstream market, with the odd outlier developer here and there.
    Because NVIDIA have liaised closely with the development of a number of games for some time now. They have the capital to incentivize developers to integrate RTX into games.

Thanks

What price gouging? Hexus themselves said cards are being made for barely under MSRP. Suggesting near zero margins here, probably caused by the 12nm switch from the original 10nm. Also they probably paid a premium for the first batch of GDDR6.

It's comic how much people hate NV, yet their the only ones in the game able to pay for R&D for new tech. How do they pay for it? Oh, yeah, they actually price products to make profit, unlike AMD who listens to all these whiners who kill their company as they follow customer advice on how to price products (give it to me free, or price is too high...LOL)...YOU are the reason AMD sucks. YOU keep asking them to give away their stuff cheap, and stupidly they think that is going to win a war of dollars...LOL.

NO, you win by actually winning PERF, WATTS, HEAT, you know, these things that actually matter. It's also comic most of you will whine and then buy NV anyway...ROFL. Sales figures don't lie, revenue+income+margin etc records don't lie at NV either. 10 years of CUDA took a lot of money and R&D. AMD can't do stuff like that without money. When they can afford something, it's a 2nd best product; Freesync vs. Gsync for example. "Good enough" doesn't make you rich. The best brings top dollar.

I see a stock drop at AMD incoming...I don't think 7nm will double AMD perf, and I don't see why devs won't want to move to NV's idea of the future since it seems to work, and work fast while looking better. AMD either has to come up with something better, or end up getting further behind. IF I was NV, I'd start throwing ~100mil or more at devs to specifically use DLSS etc. You should be able to kickstart 25-50 games or so with that kind of effort and make this a standard (2mil per game just to code for something that makes your game actually better?). Business is war and NV is winning it. It's unfortunate AMD still hasn't figured out how to price anything or even how to make basic business deals beneficial to the company. See console margin deal...ROFL, wafer start deal (7th rev, still killing them...ROFL), etc, they clearly have some of the worst negotiators on earth running AMD (about as bad as govt. pre trump).

14. Received thanks from:

Spud1 (20-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    What price gouging? Hexus themselves said cards are being made for barely under MSRP. Suggesting near zero margins here, probably caused by the 12nm switch from the original 10nm. Also they probably paid a premium for the first batch of GDDR6.

It's comic how much people hate NV, yet their the only ones in the game able to pay for R&D for new tech. How do they pay for it? Oh, yeah, they actually price products to make profit, unlike AMD who listens to all these whiners who kill their company as they follow customer advice on how to price products (give it to me free, or price is too high...LOL)...YOU are the reason AMD sucks. YOU keep asking them to give away their stuff cheap, and stupidly they think that is going to win a war of dollars...LOL.

NO, you win by actually winning PERF, WATTS, HEAT, you know, these things that actually matter. It's also comic most of you will whine and then buy NV anyway...ROFL. Sales figures don't lie, revenue+income+margin etc records don't lie at NV either. 10 years of CUDA took a lot of money and R&D. AMD can't do stuff like that without money. When they can afford something, it's a 2nd best product; Freesync vs. Gsync for example. "Good enough" doesn't make you rich. The best brings top dollar.

I see a stock drop at AMD incoming...I don't think 7nm will double AMD perf, and I don't see why devs won't want to move to NV's idea of the future since it seems to work, and work fast while looking better. AMD either has to come up with something better, or end up getting further behind. IF I was NV, I'd start throwing ~100mil or more at devs to specifically use DLSS etc. You should be able to kickstart 25-50 games or so with that kind of effort and make this a standard (2mil per game just to code for something that makes your game actually better?). Business is war and NV is winning it. It's unfortunate AMD still hasn't figured out how to price anything or even how to make basic business deals beneficial to the company. See console margin deal...ROFL, wafer start deal (7th rev, still killing them...ROFL), etc, they clearly have some of the worst negotiators on earth running AMD (about as bad as govt. pre trump).
    I was wondering what sort of person would write all of that in such a tone until I read the last 2 words.
    ---
    Anyway, it's getting quite absurd the cost of a single component. If the prices didn't rise so much the cards would be more impressive, otherwise eh, you're gambling on new tech, and even then going first gen on the RTX for ray tracing may not be a wise choice.

16. Received thanks from:

Disturbedguy (20-09-2018)

Thanks

Looks like I know which sites to trust and which ones have signed the NDA to kiss nvidia's ass.

Thanks

You must be a COMPLETE IDIOT to buy a 2080 et al. The performance gains look awful compared to the 1080ti. For me I am hoping the 1070 comes down in price a bit as this seems to be all i need for my gaming build.

It was bad enough being a Kid and needing to buy a £150- £250 3DFX card for Quake/Doom was a lot, but compared to nowadays its not even funny...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information