Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31

Thread: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,542
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,928 times in 670 posts

    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    The monster unleashed.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    2,906
    Thanked
    2,926 times in 1,810 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    utter utter beast

    A very few years ago, nothing like this was even imaginable.

    Now, in 2020 a mere mortal can build a PC with so much multi-thread muscle that nearly any computational task is within reach... at home in a box under your desk.

    with about..what... £6k, you could load up a good board, with a ton of DDR4 and a load of quick storage, multiple monitors and render nearly anything.... utterly astounding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,588
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked
    210 times in 151 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    utter utter beast

    A very few years ago, nothing like this was even imaginable.

    Now, in 2020 a mere mortal can build a PC with so much multi-thread muscle that nearly any computational task is within reach... at home in a box under your desk.

    with about..what... £6k, you could load up a good board, with a ton of DDR4 and a load of quick storage, multiple monitors and render nearly anything.... utterly astounding.
    It really is quite something!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,509
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    70 times in 62 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Now admittedly I'm freelance rather than big business but I'm in a bit of a weird situation on this... on the one hand, I'd love the cores etc for 3D rendering etc but at the same time I can't really see a reason to spend over £3k on just the cpu when things like GPU rendering are rapidly progressing.

    Also got to be honest, I would have liked to have seen some tests about how it compares to gpu rendering in things like vray and the likes....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,588
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked
    210 times in 151 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Also got to be honest, I would have liked to have seen some tests about how it compares to gpu rendering in things like vray and the likes....
    Edited: ah, against a GPU!

    My mistake

  6. #6
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,373
    Thanks
    1,559
    Thanked
    2,967 times in 2,407 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Which version of Windows 10 did you use? There are issues with Home and Pro schedulers over 64 threads. Enterprise/Pro for workstations has fewer problems.

    See: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483...3990x-review/3

    Handbrake suffers from this - try enterprise and the score increases massively.


  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Couple of extreme overclockers have got their numbers up on HWBot and they're suitably absurd. Up around 5.5ghz under LN2, outright quickest on cinebench r15 and r20.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    70 times in 58 posts
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3700x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk!

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Talk about kicking the competition when down, seems that glue intel mocked is working rather well.

    Interesting spec against the 64 core Epyc, slightly cut back on some parts but then a higher TDP and clocks to match.

    Hopefully AMD will start to benefit from the halo effect.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,509
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    70 times in 62 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Which version of Windows 10 did you use? There are issues with Home and Pro schedulers over 64 threads. Enterprise/Pro for workstations has fewer problems.

    See: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483...3990x-review/3

    Handbrake suffers from this - try enterprise and the score increases massively.

    Oh I do love when MS does this.... I know the stuff in the workstation version might have limited appeal for a lot of people but why have a pro version that basically doesn't fully support 'pro hardware'.... I can understand multiple cpu support being restricted and even refs but not having full scheduling etc for a single socket cpu in the non workstation version just seems daft... especially when it's there in the 'next version up'
    Last edited by LSG501; 07-02-2020 at 09:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6 times in 5 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    LTT's video review is quite a polar look at this chip

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    12 times in 9 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    My little - old 12/24 TR CPU seem so,,,,,, sigh

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Helion Prime
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • fend_oblivion's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 4100 3.6 GHz Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJawsX 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Blue 1 TB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S1211 520 W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master K380
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer P166HQL

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    AMD is killing Intel in the CPU front. Let's hope they can bring the fight to Nvidia too

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,884
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    110 times in 93 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidmunkee View Post
    LTT's video review is quite a polar look at this chip
    They highlight something that Intel has been doing for decades though. I understand why they say it, but honestly so few UK people will buy this CPU it is unreal. It is not aimed at the average person at all....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,884
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    110 times in 93 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Oh I do love when MS does this.... I know the stuff in the workstation version might have limited appeal for a lot of people but why have a pro version that basically doesn't fully support 'pro hardware'.... I can understand multiple cpu support being restricted and even refs but not having full scheduling etc for a single socket cpu in the non workstation version just seems daft... especially when it's there in the 'next version up'
    You do pay more for the next version up though....
    If you need support for a top end processor is it so wrong to have the correct version of Windows to support such a beast? It's not like the cost is the issue... Microsoft get plenty wrong, as do Apple et al, but I can't see this being a bad call. They have to make some money somewhere...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  15. #15
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,502
    Thanks
    547
    Thanked
    1,111 times in 948 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    You do pay more for the next version up though....
    If you need support for a top end processor is it so wrong to have the correct version of Windows to support such a beast? It's not like the cost is the issue... Microsoft get plenty wrong, as do Apple et al, but I can't see this being a bad call. They have to make some money somewhere...
    It's the whole artificial product differentiation thing. From an engineering point of view, it is a bit worrying that you spend all that money and get code that hardly anyone else is running so it isn't actually *that* well tested compared to the mainline consumer code. So what you are paying extra for, is under tested code.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,884
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    110 times in 93 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It's the whole artificial product differentiation thing. From an engineering point of view, it is a bit worrying that you spend all that money and get code that hardly anyone else is running so it isn't actually *that* well tested compared to the mainline consumer code. So what you are paying extra for, is under tested code.
    Hardly anyone else is running? I imagine there are literally millions running Win 10 enterprise....

    It is shipped as standard by a fair few PC manufacturers on top end laptops and workstations for instance
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •