• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: be quiet! Pure Rock 2

Quote Originally Posted by Helios451 View Post
    Are saying that those now in their 30s, 40s and 50s are still wanting and acting as they did when they were pimply, emotionally and stylistically immature?
    Yes, albeit with more grammatically mature postings.

You say it as if it were a bad thing... while assuming that such people were immature at that point anyway... But here's the rub: No matter how 'mature' a 30/40/50-year old might like to think they are, the instant they walk into one of the Expos I work at, and they clap eyes on a Lightsabre or a Pulse Rifle or a Proton Pack or a KITT car or a BTTF DeLorean or the General Lee or any of the other iconic props and costumes from their favoured films and TV shows.... They go all giddy and start acting like teenagers again!

My own wall decorations included the very motorcycle I now own, and several of the sports and muscle cars I've worked on for their owners.
    If that makes me emotionally and stylistically immature, so be it - I'm clearly having more fun than those of you who think your perception of maturity somehow makes you better, or perhaps even somehow qualified to dictate what people should and should not like... rather than taking the more mature approach of just accepting that some people like different things and getting on with finding options that suit your mere preferences.

But given that those very people are the ones now designing what you presumably assume are the 'stylistically mature' products you seem to imply people must desire, their creative inspirations and dreams clearly served them well enough to make the stuff that you now endorse... so again, how is this a bad thing?
    Moreover, they're also designing all this RGB stuff, which plenty of other people are happily buying and for which other manufacturers are providing connectivity, which strongly suggests that a lot of people do still want this, regardless of what you think they should.

Thanks

TTaskmaster, you make some really good points, although I think I maybe touched a raw nerve!

However, I refer you back to what I actually said to begin with - I gave a stated personal view and made comparison with what a stereotypical immature male would be expected to like. I still hold that view and feel frustrated that such a huge proportion of IT components for the self-builder seem perceived and designed through that prism. That's not just because I can't find a lot of well designed kit that looks attractive or stylish to me, but also because it underlines the serious issue that the IT industry is not a friendly or attractive place for a girl to build her career.

As for the giddy middle-aged men who swoon over a few film props (self selected, of course, to be at those events in the first place), I am not one of them. But don't get me wrong - I don't judge them for being different. Indeed I, too, access the nostalgia of encountering the loved things of my past. I've just moved on from an awful lot of the stuff I was into when I was a kid and an immature young man. As an example, I started on Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Kraftwerk, Zeppelin and AC/DC and while I still occasionally like to revisit them I now prefer the likes of Snarky Puppy and Portico Quartet (look them up!). That doesn't make me any more or less emotionally mature than the next man.

That said, I really do applaud that you ride the bike that adorned your wall as a kid. I envy that level of consistent character, which clearly displays a life led well to plan. You don't have a monopoly of having fun, though, and you don't get to chose what is stylish any more than I do

But, I think you've put you finger on it - these gaudy IT components are designed for a market that obviously exists and laps them up. I'm not saying that market shouldn't exist, what I am saying is that the industry is not also designing stuff that appeals to me and others like me, who also like to build their own kit.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

TTaskmaster, you make some really good points, although I think I maybe touched a raw nerve!
    Not at all, you just made a lot of questionable assumptions and inferrences.

However, I refer you back to what I actually said to begin with - I gave a stated personal view and made comparison with what a stereotypical immature male would be expected to like.
    No, you compared it to what you expect they would like.

I still hold that view and feel frustrated that such a huge proportion of IT components for the self-builder seem perceived and designed through that prism.
    You can still get boring old white kit and even undecorated kit. I recently did a build with AC radiators that had bare steel side frames and shiny copper fins.
    You can get other kit with various designs too and if RGB really isn't your thing, whether it's the unicorn puke rolling demo mode or the single colour ambient lighting or the myriad different options possible to create... you can still just turn it off!

That's not just because I can't find a lot of well designed kit that looks attractive or stylish to me, but also because it underlines the serious issue that the IT industry is not a friendly or attractive place for a girl to build her career.
    Sorry, you'll have to expand on that.... because it seems like you're saying RGB is sexist enough to keep women out of the workplace!!

Meanwhile, I'll ask some of my female clients if they're happy with me sharing pics of the RGB builds they themselves specced up.

As for the giddy middle-aged men who swoon over a few film props (self selected, of course, to be at those events in the first place), I am not one of them.
    Actually the choice of items are down to whoever signs up to come along and exhibit their stuff, be they collectors or enthusiasts showing off their treasures, or builders displaying their portfolios of masks, costumes and whatever they've done during their film careers. It's not always the most iconic things from the most popular films. You can make a lot of money replicating the cool things from peoples' pasts, be it Hendrix's Woodstock Strat, or the jacket that MacGyver only ever wore in Season 1 Episode 2.

But don't get me wrong - I don't judge them for being different. Indeed I, too, access the nostalgia of encountering the loved things of my past.
    So you don't judge them for being different, because they're doing exactly what you said you're doing - Accessing nostalgia - meaning they're not really different at all, just going about it different... That doesn't make them immature.

I've just moved on from an awful lot of the stuff I was into when I was a kid and an immature young man...... That doesn't make me any more or less emotionally mature than the next man.
    My point exactly - Moving on does not make maturity any more than enjoying something old makes you immature.
    I stayed with some of my favourite music and later learned to play those songs, partly because they were cool and it was something I always wanted to do, and partly because they require a great degree of musical and technical skill, so it was a real measure of my progress and an accomplishment to achieve. I've since played some of them in a professional capacity, too.

That said, I really do applaud that you ride the bike that adorned your wall as a kid. I envy that level of consistent character, which clearly displays a life led well to plan.
    It's a good bike, well designed, really solidly built and I merely took the opportunity when it came because it does what I need far better than most modern models. No planning or consistency involved, really.

You don't have a monopoly of having fun, though, and you don't get to chose what is stylish any more than I do
    But I do appear to be having more fun, which is what I actually said, and that seems to come down to utterly ignoring what other people think I should be liking and what they think is appropriately mature enough to fit their expectations of me.

I'm not saying that market shouldn't exist, what I am saying is that the industry is not also designing stuff that appeals to me and others like me, who also like to build their own kit.
    It doesn't do things that I like either, or not in the way I'd like them done... which is why I endeavour to create my own, insofar as is possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    It doesn't do things that I like either, or not in the way I'd like them done... which is why I endeavour to create my own, insofar as is possible.
    And there we end on a fine agreement.

I, too, build my own as I can't source what I really like, just like you. The last but one build I did was inside a mahogany desk that I built for that purpose and the last one was inside a Victorian Engineers Pine Toolbox. The first was a wheeze to ventilate for cooling, but the toolbox is a bit more of a challenge, although it's nicely portable.

The next build is for the office, and I'm stuck several hundred miles from home without access to my tools, so a be quiet! Pure base 500 in white.

Have fun until the next enjoyable locking of horns!

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

and no major memory slot overhang

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthetroll View Post
    What happened with the Corsair Hydro results on the overclocks and what is the perfomance like with dual fans?
    It failed because it was unable to keep the CPU cool enough = crashing, and unable to complete the test.

Thanks

Blimey , thought I was reading a fan review , not another bloody debate over RGB.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by mers View Post
    Blimey , thought I was reading a fan review , not another bloody debate over RGB.
    Nothing to debate - Turn it on if you want it, disable it if you don't. Kinda like certain parts of my anatomy, really... !!

Thanks

so when is it available

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    so when is it available
    It's in the shops right now, apparently...
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-qu...caAmf4EALw_wcB

Why make everything like some teenage fanboy's wall decorations?
    Just had a similar conversation, which reminded me of this one...

One other wall decoration I had was KITT from the Knight Rider TV series. People decry it as 80s teenage fantasy... but we are developing self-driving cars that can even reverse-park themselves, we have interactive AI things like Alexa, SatNav and in-vehicle entertainment. Add in a few other existing extras like FLIR and an ejector seat and you'd pretty much have KITT in real life. Star Trek is another that has brought on real life tech designs (iPad, as one example), but I'm not so up on that programme.
    A lot of modern things are inspired by those teenage dreams, so there's definitely something to be said for them...

Thanks

Yeah, this is a slight worry from a hydro loop of this size don't you think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information