Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition (Ampere)

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Re: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition (Ampere)

Quote Originally Posted by Taniniver View Post
    I've got a question about your testing methodology -

You mention your test setup uses a Fractal Design Define 7 Clear Tempered Glass case. I notice that case has a flexible design of the roof section and can be either closed or open.

The founders edition has a unique fan design where one fan will blow air directly toward the roof of the case instead of hitting the PCB and being mostly deflected.

The case setup may therefore have some impact on the cooling performance in comparison to partner cards that use a more traditional design with fans (mostly) having their airflow stopped by the PCB.

Could you tell us if the vented panel on the case is open or closed, and what setup you are using in terms of case fans, e.g. any exhaust fans in the roof?
    The CPU AIO is exhausting through the case roof:
    https://hexus.net/tech/features/syst...est-platforms/

2. Received thanks from:

Taniniver (19-09-2020)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    The CPU AIO is exhausting through the case roof:
    https://hexus.net/tech/features/syst...est-platforms/
    Thanks Xlucine, that's useful info. 360mm AIO exhaust through the roof, and from the photos I also see a single rear exhaust fan and two front intake. That looks similar to my own setup except I also have two intake fans in the base (Phanteks Enthoo Primo case).

The couple of partner cards Hexus have reviewed so far (Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC and MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio) both outperformed the founders edition in both temperature and noise levels.

It looks like the founders edition having that single fan blowing directly toward the roof doesn't offer significant benefit over the more traditional triple fan setup, even with a fair amount of case airflow heading out through the roof.

Thanks

Odd that despite the huge investment in the FE cooler - and apparent cost of $150 per cooler... That it cools 'ok' but AIBs like Asus/Gigabyte entry cards, can keep Ampere at 62-68c load. That's a huge 10c cooler!

I was dying to get the FE on launch day, obviously didn't get one like everyone else (cough notify, cough out of stock) but now I'm really trying to get my hands on either the Asus TUF or Gigabyte Eagle GPU.

Registered+
    Thanks

the FE is actually a good card this time round, nvidia seem to be getting better.

Before i would have passed over the FE but this time around it was my first choice.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    Odd that despite the huge investment in the FE cooler - and apparent cost of $150 per cooler... That it cools 'ok' but AIBs like Asus/Gigabyte entry cards, can keep Ampere at 62-68c load. That's a huge 10c cooler!

I was dying to get the FE on launch day, obviously didn't get one like everyone else (cough notify, cough out of stock) but now I'm really trying to get my hands on either the Asus TUF or Gigabyte Eagle GPU.
    It's a bit of a shame to be honest, for all the hype it got.

It's a great change over the usual blower style rubbish that the founders cards have to be fair, but I wish they'd have offered a 3 slot founders cooler on the 3080 at least as an option.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information