Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and Ryzen 9 5900X

Thanks

Re: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and Ryzen 9 5900X

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I'd have maybe put those lower memory performance in there personally
    I wouldn't, synthetic benchmarks aren't important. Maybe if there was a specific application that showed degraded performance?

Chances are the difference comes from architectural changes designed to improve performance in real use instead of a pure synthetic situation.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Now if only there was some way to buy one.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by liquidflower View Post
    And it still will only give under 30fps in the most busy mmorpg map events like in Guild Wars 2
    Two words. Game engine.

It's absolutely no difference to playing SWTOR, the game engine has limitations in terms of backend communications, which is server side code and nothing to do with how fast your PC can actually run things beyond a certain point. Look at it another way, when was that game engine created, and what were the general PC configurations around that time?

Quote Originally Posted by FRISH View Post
    No wonder AMD felt confident in upping the pricing.
    Too far. I'm going to agree with CAT on this part. If you are purely dropping in the CPU as a platform upgrade into a X570 / B550 board then it's pretty compelling, even more so for X470 / B450 users using older Ryzen CPUs. However as a platform total cost (CPU / Mobo / RAM) upgrade, it isn't compelling to me at all.

I hate to say it, but I'd opt for the older generation Intel CPU 9900KF / 9700K in that situation as the platform cost is cheaper and the loss in performance for gaming at QHD / UHD is negligible going by these benchmarks. Don't get me wrong here, it's a great CPU and AMD have made excellent strides in improving IPC and lowering memory latency, but the total platform cost doesn't really warrant swapping from a previous gen. Intel system, nor doesn't it warrant buying as a platform. The difference in terms of gaming isn't worth the price premium.

If you intend to use your system as a content creator? Yes, absolutely worthwhile. So for me it seems a bit of a mixed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Eh a few percent off in a benchmark can't really be counted as a downside lol
    It can if taken in context of total platform cost. I do think AMD have priced these too high.

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (05-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    Now if only there was some way to buy one.
    Well, there is.
    Only available on scan as a bundle though. You can get motherboard + cooler bundles with the cpu. But, you can't buy the cpu.
    Same with the 5600X. 5 different motherboard combos available as a write this with the CPU, but the CPU on it's own is out of stock.

I do wonder how much stock is being hordered by these e-tailers to make more money with bundle deals and complete systems by those despetate to jump to the newest system.

One look at ebuyer and they have at least 4 pre build gaming rigs with Nvidia 3090s installed available now. But, they have no GPUs in stock.
    Similar story with the 3080

I'd eco the price on the new CPUs aswell. Supposed to be $299 (US) for a 5600X. So less that £230, but it's £289.
    Amazon usually sell CPUs much cheaper that the other etailers. So, it'll be worth checking there in a while. But, now price is silly for opening day. Best avoided.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by AC81 View Post
    I'd eco the price on the new CPUs aswell. Supposed to be $299 (US) for a 5600X. So less that £230, but it's £289.
    $299 ~= £230 before VAT or £275 after VAT. Yes a bit of a premium for being on this lovely island but not as much as you're implying. Motherboard costs have crept up for the platform - AMD boards used to be comfortable cheaper than Intel for equivalent features. Yes there's shiny new PCIe 4.0 but what graphics cards really max that out?

Can't say any of these are really my cup of tea though - I don't need that much power or want to spend that much.

7. Received thanks from:

AC81 (05-11-2020),CAT-THE-FIFTH (05-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    $299 ~= £230 before VAT or £275 after VAT. Yes a bit of a premium for being on this lovely island but not as much as you're implying. Motherboard costs have crept up for the platform - AMD boards used to be comfortable cheaper than Intel for equivalent features. Yes there's shiny new PCIe 4.0 but what graphics cards really max that out?

Can't say any of these are really my cup of tea though - I don't need that much power or want to spend that much.
    Oh, very true. I forgot the US don't include VAT. So, it's not that bad.
    Amazon have been cheaper for a long time with CPUs though, so when the pricing calms down there. I'd expect it to be £20 - £35 cheaper.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Too far. I'm going to agree with CAT on this part. If you are purely dropping in the CPU as a platform upgrade into a X570 / B550 board then it's pretty compelling, even more so for X470 / B450 users using older Ryzen CPUs. However as a platform total cost (CPU / Mobo / RAM) upgrade, it isn't compelling to me at all.
    TBF,even in my case,I have an AM4 motherboard and its not cost effective. I paid £137 for my Ryzen 5 2600,and the Ryzen 5 5600X is double the price. So in the end I would have paid nearly £420~£430 for a pair of 6 core CPUs. Even if I sell the Ryzen 5 2600,its still well over £300 in total. Yet if you got a CFL 6C/12T CPU years ago,you wouldn't have spent anymore money,and a Core i5 10600KF is cheaper. I consider the Core i5 CPUs overpriced too. Plus in my case the AM4 mini-ITX motherboards in 2018 were generally more expensive and AMD needed better RAM too,so that was an added cost.

Also another problem,is even if a cheaper Ryzen 5 5600 non-X is released,when will it appear and for how many USD? Once we add any additional costs next year,I wonder if even if the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X will end up closer to the Ryzen 5 3600X launch price(say around £230). That is assuming the exchange rates stay the same.

I think either will look for a good Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 7 3700X deal,or not bother upgrading. Hold out and see what is coming in 2022 from AMD and Intel. Next time I will just buy a more expensive CPU and not bother with upgrade paths. The latter only make sense if the price isn't increasing a decent amount each generation. That way you can get the best performance at launch instead of waiting a few years.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-11-2020 at 11:19 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

Iota (06-11-2020)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Linus' video on this was hilarious:

"DR SU, STOP IT! THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD!"

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by AC81 View Post
    I do wonder how much stock is being hordered by these e-tailers to make more money with bundle deals and complete systems by those despetate to jump to the newest system.
    Or perhaps Scan have run out of Retail packages of the CPU, and only have OEM tray models left which are annoying to sell at a time when there is a rush on unless you, say, stuff it in a motherboard.

I have in the past bought a CPU which arrived sellotaped into a bit of snipped out tray. Even that's got to be harder than just packing a retail box when you have say 200 units to ship.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Only problem is the scalpers are at it again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnutt View Post
    Only problem is the scalpers are at it again
    When wasn't that going to be a thing for an anticipated launch, ha ha!

This is a fantastic offering from AMD, I wasn't expecting it to blow the 3000 series out the water but leaves a nice upgrade path for the 3000 series owners when they do want to get a little bit of extra life out the system.

The best upgrade path lines come from the 1k/2k series and the Intel 7k and 8k series where the benefits are much wider which makes sense to me.

I'm on the fence whether the price increase is justified, if they had kept the same price they would have bowled the market over a lot more but at the same time, this and next quarter are buying time so they can squeeze us. Hmm, I like AMD making money but I hope this was somewhat a one off...

Registered+
    Thanks

Intel to announce Red Dead Redemption 3

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I'm on the fence whether the price increase is justified, if they had kept the same price they would have bowled the market over a lot more but at the same time, this and next quarter are buying time so they can squeeze us. Hmm, I like AMD making money but I hope this was somewhat a one off...
    From the youtube videos I gather the 5600X isn't getting the $50 price bump unlike the higher end parts. So hopefully street price should end up the same as 3600X once the fuss has died down. That's not as good as the 3600 pricing, but not the gouge I was expecting.

The 5800X looks like an amazing gaming chip, I'm sure they will sell well even with the price bump and removed cooler from the retail pack. I suspect they will need those funds for their upcoming GPU battle with Nvidia.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    From the youtube videos I gather the 5600X isn't getting the $50 price bump unlike the higher end parts. So hopefully street price should end up the same as 3600X once the fuss has died down. That's not as good as the 3600 pricing, but not the gouge I was expecting.

The 5800X looks like an amazing gaming chip, I'm sure they will sell well even with the price bump and removed cooler from the retail pack. I suspect they will need those funds for their upcoming GPU battle with Nvidia.

The Ryzen 5 5600X RRP is $299. The lowest street pre-order prices I saw were between £270~£280 which equates to $299 with VAT added. Newegg and Microcenter in the US list it as $299.

So I assume you meant the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X?

I would make the argument the Ryzen 5 5600X is more a Ryzen 5 3600 replacement. It has the same 65W TDP and same Wraith Stealth CPU cooler. It's just AMD realised they could push it up a tier. The whole point of the XT name is quite obvious. They will now split the non-X tier into X and non-X,and the X is essentially going to be replaced by the XT. So expect to see a Ryzen 5 5600XT next year too,with maybe a 4.8GHZ/4.9GHZ boostclock and 95W TDP.

So it wouldn't surprise me one bit the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X hits worse clockspeeds than the Ryzen 5 5600X,unlike the Ryzen 5 3600 which almost was the same as the Ryzen 5 3600X,once you tweaked it.

Also the Ryzen 7 5800X is a bit too highly priced and sales represent that.

The Ryzen 9 5900X has 50% more cores,higher boost clocks,etc for £100 more and is the cheapest Zen3 SKU per core.

This has been reflected in sales over on OcUK. Gibbo said Ryzen 9 5900X sales were double that of the Ryzen 7 5800X!

I would say the Ryzen 9 5900X is probably the best "value" of all the launch line-up IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 06-11-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    TBF,even in my case,I have an AM4 motherboard and its not cost effective. I paid £137 for my Ryzen 5 2600,and the Ryzen 5 5600X is double the price. So in the end I would have paid nearly £420~£430 for a pair of 6 core CPUs. Even if I sell the Ryzen 5 2600,its still well over £300 in total. Yet if you got a CFL 6C/12T CPU years ago,you wouldn't have spent anymore money,and a Core i5 10600KF is cheaper. I consider the Core i5 CPUs overpriced too. Plus in my case the AM4 mini-ITX motherboards in 2018 were generally more expensive and AMD needed better RAM too,so that was an added cost.

Also another problem,is even if a cheaper Ryzen 5 5600 non-X is released,when will it appear and for how many USD? Once we add any additional costs next year,I wonder if even if the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X will end up closer to the Ryzen 5 3600X launch price(say around £230). That is assuming the exchange rates stay the same.

I think either will look for a good Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 7 3700X deal,or not bother upgrading. Hold out and see what is coming in 2022 from AMD and Intel. Next time I will just buy a more expensive CPU and not bother with upgrade paths. The latter only make sense if the price isn't increasing a decent amount each generation. That way you can get the best performance at launch instead of waiting a few years.
    Yep. AMD have shot themselves in foot somewhat with the pricing structure. The problem they have is that Intel's 10600 and 10700 series are significantly cheaper here in the UK, (the 10900k not so much) and they are decent gaming chips too. On the Mboard side of the equation - there is rough parity in pricing - but Intel are hamstrung by lack of pcie 4.0. As for myself...I will wait for the pricing to settle before doing an upgrade from my r5 3600/b450 MAX combo, and if it doesn't then i'll wait for the next gen. Be it Intel or AMD depending on who offers the best value.

19. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (06-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

The Ryzen 5 5600X RRP is $300. The lowest street pre-order prices I saw were between £270~£280 which equates to $300 with VAT added. Now tghey

I would make the argument the Ryzen 5 5600X is more a Ryzen 5 3600 replacement. It has the same 65W TDP and same Wraith Stealth CPU cooler. It's just AMD realised they could push it up a tier. The whole point of the XT name is quite obvious. They will now split the non-X tier into X and non-X,and the X is essentially going to be replaced by the XT.

So it wouldn't surprise me one bit the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X hits worse clockspeeds than the Ryzen 5 5600X,unlike the Ryzen 5 3600 which almost was the same as the Ryzen 5 3600X,once you tweaked it.

Also the Ryzen 7 5800X is a bit too highly priced and sales represent that.

The Ryzen 9 5900X has 50% more cores,higher boost clocks,etc for £100 more and is the cheapest Zen3 SKU per core.

This has been reflected in sales over on OcUK. Gibbo said Ryzen 9 5900X sales were double that of the Ryzen 7 5800X!

I would say the Ryzen 9 5900X is probably the best "value" of all the launch line-up IMHO.
    "Street prices" include VAT in Uk CAT.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information