Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEXUS.guide: Gigabytes and Gibibytes - What you need to know

Thanks
    It's interesting, but not practical. The damage has been done and we're stuck with it like it is...

Thanks
    I think the article does help - if I didn't already know about it, I certainly would now, and I would try and make a note in future (although I often forget!). This article could persuade the community of Hexus to use the correct terms. In turn, other online communities might follow the same pattern, and many of these communities contain the IT/Network Mangers/Workers that teach others about computers. It may take time, but it is perfectly possible (and I'm not saying certain, merely possible) for something like this to filter down to the layman. But if you have no confidence, it'll never happen.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    I think the article does help - if I didn't already know about it, I certainly would now, and I would try and make a note in future (although I often forget!). This article could persuade the community of Hexus to use the correct terms. In turn, other online communities might follow the same pattern, and many of these communities contain the IT/Network Mangers/Workers that teach others about computers. It may take time, but it is perfectly possible (and I'm not saying certain, merely possible) for something like this to filter down to the layman. But if you have no confidence, it'll never happen.
    I think you're overestimating the technical ability of everyday users. Too much information confuses people.

Thanks
    To be honest, the useful gain from changing this entire system is negligable. Would it be worth the effort? I agree that it is perfectly possible, but, to put it bluntly, can we be arsed? No real gain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    No real gain.
    Well, not only would we all be more accurate, but there might be less questions saying "Why is my hard drive is smaller than it should be!?!?"
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Mike Fishcake
    I'm not doubting it will be more accurate. It will be more accurate, but just because it's accurate doesn't mean it makes it easier.

Techies have only just recently managed to get megabytes and gigabytes into everyday language; how difficult is it going to be to tell people "actually, we've been telling you wrong all this time. You see, because it's a negligible percentage out, we're going to need you to change the word you use. Oh no, Gigabytes *do* still exist, but they're a... what? Can you still use Microsoft Word? Yes, of course you can, but... what? No, no it won't change the way you use your... no, you've still got lots of space free, but see, 'mega' means a million, but 'mibi' means 1024... sorry, 10485... hang on, where are you going?"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake
    I'm not doubting it will be more accurate. It will be more accurate, but just because it's accurate doesn't mean it makes it easier.

Techies have only just recently managed to get megabytes and gigabytes into everyday language; how difficult is it going to be to tell people "actually, we've been telling you wrong all this time. You see, because it's a negligible percentage out, we're going to need you to change the word you use. Oh no, Gigabytes *do* still exist, but they're a... what? Can you still use Microsoft Word? Yes, of course you can, but... what? No, no it won't change the way you use your... no, you've still got lots of space free, but see, 'mega' means a million, but 'mibi' means 1024... sorry, 10485... hang on, where are you going?"
    That's what I'm saying. I don't think we would gain from making it the new standard. We would lose out! We'd probably be better off switching the meanings of Gigabyte and Gibibyte.

Thanks
    Okay, perhaps the layman might never actually understand - but many of them don't understand bytes in the first place! There are various people that aren't hugely interested in the latest technology, or that read forums like these, but still have knowledge about these things i.e. what a byte, KB/KiB, etc is. I'd say it would be reasonable easy to explain it to them, and I think that would be enough people to know. In other words, all those that need to understand would understand, whereas the average end user probably wouln't need to know, so it doesn't really matter if (s)he doesn't understand.

There, I think I've explained myself... well, I know what I mean!

Thanks
    I'd always been confused about why we said giga and kilo.

I'm used to metric, kilometer, kilogram etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    TBH University courses still teach the definitions as Kilo, Mega, and Giga, but they refer to the proper number as in Kilobyte = 1024bits etc.

While technically a bit of a faux-pas, the Kilo, Mega and Giga tags are just used as nametags more than anything..

Besides, kibi, mibi, and gibi just sounds crap, especially when you add "byte" or "bit" to the end - too many b's in one short word..

What I think would be better as a more acceptable solution to all people, was if the industry just used Kilo, Mega, and Giga to mean the Kibi, Mibi, and Gibi values, rather than trying to fluff up the sizes as a marketing exercise..

After all, that's why we settled on 1 Billion = 1,000,000,000 rather than the more technically accurate 1,000,000,000,000 - it was far easier to accept the inaccurate American version than go against the tide.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    Technically a faux pas is fairly inexcusable when you're being taught something like Computer Science. I'm sticking to my guns here, hoping that our usage of it will perpetuate people learning the correct way. If even 1% of our readers pick up on it, that's better than nothing given that if you see the correct way written down, especially abbreviated, you can still understand the meaning.

If it was a confusing thing to do, I'd possibly think twice. All HEXUS titles for which I'm Technical Editor will migrate to the correct method over time, and we'll link back to the article we're discussing from a glossary of terms you'll see on the site at some point.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Rys, I think the only reason that it won't be a confusing thing to do is because the abbreviations for the "correct" versions look sufficiently similar to the "incorrect" versions that people will know what you're on about; but purely by mentally referring to the incorrect versions...

Mike Fishcake
    Rys:

Fair enough points, of course it's none of my business what you choose to do, but could you promise me one thing? Please don't criticise people on the board for using the more traditional terms, or nag them, because it could run the risk of sounding very patronising very quickly.

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    I wouldn't dream of it. I might now and again link to the article if people look to be confused, but otherwise I'll leave it to our copy to put the message across.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thanks
    kibibits and gigibits - not to be confused with kibbles and bits

www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
    Thanks
    • DougMcDonald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Inter Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB - Geil Black Dragon PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 400GB Samsung Spinpoints (Running in Matrix array) 100GB @ RAID0 + 300GB @ RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG nVidia 8800GTS 320MB OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W modular
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC7 II Plus
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 17" Flat Thingy
      • Internet:
      • Crappy BT 1MB Unreliable wank :s
    Quote Originally Posted by kasavien View Post
    kibibits and gigibits - not to be confused with kibbles and bits