• Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Question Log Cabin Flooring and heating

Hi Folks, After ordering a log cabin back in early March (and after numerous delays) it is getting installed next week (hopefully). We have went out and bought 8mm laminate flooring from B&Q (there was a 20% offer on recently). The floor is already tongue and grove flooring so this will go over the top of that. I'd imagine it will be a floating floor (?) to allow for proper flex of the wood etc. This should also keep the floor beneath in good shape for the future should we decide to remove the laminate down the line.

I am currently deciding which underlay to get and was hoping for a little help. We will be getting a floor fitter to install the floor (I'd love to give it a go but afraid of messing it up ).

Quick outline of the log cabin - 44mm wood, 4m length and 3m width, double glazed doors and windows. Floor and roof insulated (but not the walls).

I have been looking at the Sonic Gold Laminate Underlay – 5mm ( https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/produc...wood-underlay/ ). Would this be suitable? I think it has a DPM? However, I don't know where to buy it yet as there seem to be a lot of fakes around. The one at trade point doesn't mention a DPM. So any recommendations about where to buy would be great. Delivery would be mainland UK.

Final question (for now?!) -heating. I was looking at getting an electric radiator - such as this ( https://www.electricradiatorsdirect....or-anthracite/ ) - I really know nothing about electric radiators folks, so happy to take recommendations or alternatives. This would be for the cold winter/autumn months. Would this be okay? Secondly, are they efficient (as far as electric heating goes)? Is it fine to just plug it into a socket (cabin will be hardwired by an electrician who is doing the install and knows that type of electric capacity that will be needed), he will be putting in 4 double socket outlets. Or would it be better to have it directly wired to the consumer unit which i assume he will be installing in the cabin? I suppose the upside of a socket plug is that I could get a suitable smart plug to turn it on form the house before I go in.

Last question around electricity, I can ask the electrician nearer the time ofc, but just looking to get my head around things. I follow a 'summerhouse/log cabin' group on Facebook and lots of people are doing similar work there. When talking about electricity installations, I have seen a residual current circuit breaker mentioned numerous times. Is this something I should have put in as part of the install?

Any other recommendations is always appreciated. Especially at this stage when it would be easier to act on them.

Thanks!
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Log Cabin Flooring and heating

I'd be looking at oil filled radiators rather than electric. They're slightly bigger and take a bit longer to warm up (but can be set to come on a timer), but they're more efficient and retain the heat for longer. If you're going to be in there all day they'd probably be a better bet. A couple of hours a day and an electric panel will be better.

Thanks

Radiator depends on your usage, what W were you looking at? How long will you be in there?
    I've got an oil filled (2500W) and in winter I put it on a timer switch to come on an hour before I go in (it's my office space), then keep it on the self regulating option on low and it works well. They're not as pretty as the wall mounted electric ones though.

As for flooring...I've got interlocking gym mats on mine, nice and thick, easy to lay and cheap. I've then also got an old carpet over the top of it. Haven't done a full winter with this setup yet though so I'll found out if it works in a couple of months.

My biggest heat issue is leakage around the doors as this was never meant to be a workspace so they're not sealed or insulated in any way.

EDIT: Laminate in a shed should be really easy to fit, nice square base so grab some kneepads/cheap circular saw and save yourself a few hundred quid!

4. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (24-08-2021)

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

I may try fitting it myself. Just want to make sure my chosen underlay is suitable.

Regarding heating, this will be a bar and a chill out space. It will only be used a few hours a day which is why I was going down the electric heating route. I had thought this would be best given my usage.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Hi folks, things are moving along (slowly!). Getting tradesmen in is proving difficult as they are all so busy. Someone was meant to come yesterday and lay the flooring. They never showed up. Add to that, lots of visits by electricians/joiners with zero quotes passed along afterwards, or just no replies. Even from those that are well-rated in the area. Yea, frustrating. I'd hate to be a building a house...

However, I am currently looking at a wall-mounted electric radiator (preferably black/grey/anthracite). Are there any differences between them all?

The room is 12m2 and It will only be used for a few hours a day.

I had been looking at the Haverland Designer RC Wave+ (1100w version). However, there are other electric heaters that are cheaper. So, like most things. Do I get what I pay for or are they all pretty similar and the only thing which separates them is colour/design and some fancy features like Bluetooth/wifi)? I don't really need fancy features like wifi etc. They would be nice but wouldn't be essential. I can always get a smart plug to turn it on 'remotely' in advance, or a timer). I just want one that makes the best use of energy possible. The wife wants it to look nice which is why a floored bulky oil filled radiator won't make the cut. However, as I've always had gas central heating, I know very little about electric radiators.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information