Thread: Tortilla Aenonola

Thanks

Tortilla Aenonola

Okay, so maybe it should be Espanola, but every time I make one of these I do it differently, so really it's my own variation. These omelettes are also good for getting rid of left-overs I find.

My first post here by the way, good to join all you culinery experts (which I am not).

Okay, so one of these should be good for four or five slices, and if making a meal, I've found that three slices are about enough for the average person - so make three, or serve to less people!

15-20 mins prep, 15 mins cooking.

You need (1 omelette):

4 decent sized eggs
    An average 12-15" frying pan (tbh, didn't measure the last one)
    A plate of just about the same size as the pan, preferably just a little smaller.
    2-3 good size potatoes, peeled (thought I suppose it doesn't matter)
    Chopping board, knife, blah blah blah
    2/3 cloves garlic
    Olive oil
    Other ingredients eg. 1/4 - 1/2 onion, several broccoli spears, 1/2 green and 1/2 red bell pepper, chicken, or beef, ham or turkey meat (the sandwich stuff works).
    Whatever herbs you find you like.
    Salt
    Pepper

Okay, so here's the basic steps:

Take the potatoes, peel them (I've never left the skins on, but I suppose you could), and then chop them lengthways. You should end up with long slices of potato about 5mm thick. You're going to fry/sautee them so don't want them too thick to cook through quickly. Don't make them paper thin though!

Heat some oil in a pan with garlic. Maybe 1/2 a clove. And every time you add more oil to fry something, add more garlic. Note - I love garlic, in my opinion there's no such thing as too much garlic. I even eat the stuff raw at times. So I often chuck loads in to my recipes. Go according to taste. The amount I list here shouldn't be too much, I've never had complaints.

Once you've got the potatoes chopped, cook em (fry/sautee). They'll be going in the omelette and if they're raw when they go in they wont be cooked by the time everything else is.

While those are cooking, have a plate or dish ready to put them in, and line it with something to absorb the oil, you don't want them dripping when you add them to the mix. Also, beat the four eggs in a dish until thoroughly mugged and a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix again.

Also add whatever herbs you enjoy. I often use a mixture called 'Italian Herbs', I add 3-5 pinches to the egg and mix. Bear in mind that the herbs will alter the overall flavour of the omelette and are a good way to get various tastes out of the same basic dish!

Now, at this point you could make the omelette using only potato - which is a perfectly valid form of Spanish omelette. I find though that I like to add other ingredients, left-overs or otherwise, to make the omelette a meal in itself. So this is where you get creative.

Take whatever ingredients you are using and make sure they're chopped and cooked before you add them to the final mix.

We'll talk here about the bell peppers, onion, brocolli and the turkey sandwich meat. After chopping them all (you can experiment with how small you chop them) cook them lightly (obviously these are all 'ready to eat' ingredients so don't really require much cooking). Drain them off as per the potato.

Now add the potato to the egg mixture and then all the other ingredients, mix it up a bit. Now you're ready to cook the thing.

Into a hot frying pan (with garlic and oil - not too much oil now!), but on a low heat, pour the whole mixture, you may need to even out some of the ingredients to ensure they're spread through the whole frying pan.

Let it all cook until most of it is solid leaving only a little 'liquid egg' on the surface. Maybe 4-5mins.

Now comes the tricky part. You have to turn the omelette upside down. There's probably an easier way to do this, but I'm a guy who needs excitement, so if my cooking doesn't involve danger and adventure, I'm not interested Take the plate mentioned in the list and then do one of two thing. Either put the plate upside down in the pan then invert the pan and slide the omelette off the plate back into the pan upside down! OR, Slide the omelette onto the plate from the pan, and then flip, slide, or otherwise get the omelette back into the pan upside down. Ah the excitment!

The first time is the trickiest since the top of the omelette is still liquid. After that it's all a piece of omelette! Continue cooking the omelette over a low heat, turning periodically until the outside starts to brown. Also, you can stick a fork in it to check that the omelette is cooked through inside.

Once done, slide it onto a plate, and that's about it. It can be served hot or cold, and that means you can just refrigerate it and eat later!

In Spain you'll find Tortilla Espanola served as tapas in bars and restaurants, and there are about as many variations as there are cooks in Spain.

One major variation I do is using Tuna and Mushrooms as the main ingredients. I love that combination. The trick is to make sure the tuna is of a solid consistency, otherwise you get a watery, runny mixture that's a pain to cook.

Use whatever left-overs you have, or whatever variation you can imagine.

Hope this wasn't too difficult or long winded, especially for a first attempt.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds wicked to me Hun!!
    Will give it a go sometime...

Decks - can I cook Omlette in my NEW WOK???

Welcome to the Cookery Forum Galant!

XxX
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Thanks
    I'll sticky this one later today...

Thanks Galant, nice recipe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Mmmm, I love spanish omelette, I'll give this a try sometime.

One suggestion though, rather than go through all the faffing about flipping it over, could you not just slide the frying pan under the grill to finish it off?

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Mmmm, I love spanish omelette, I'll give this a try sometime.

One suggestion though, rather than go through all the faffing about flipping it over, could you not just slide the frying pan under the grill to finish it off?

Rich :¬)
    You could...but where's the adventure in that?

To throw in a useless internet quote,

"Why do you think men BBQ? It's because men will only cook in danger is involved!"
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    Oh, and it just occured to me - turning the omelette achieves something grilling doesn't.

That is - when you turn the omelette, the remaining liquid egg moves to the seal the bottom (what was the top), completing the shape and fulness of the omelette. If you grill the top it will cook, but it will be flat and open, with all the ingredients exposed on the top.

Hope that explains it.

Thanks
    Deck.....sticky???

Here I was getting my hopes up!

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Hi Galant, if you want recipes put into the cook book then PM them to Deckard as well as starting a thread here, he will put them up generally within 24hours of you posting to him.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    Is ok, I'll copy and paste... kinda got lost in the 'to do' list!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Woohoo - I got stickied! I feel so proud. Let me know if any of you try the omelette, and what you think.

-satisified grin-

Thread Information