• Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Re: Differences between types of coffee

Oh and I also hate the word "EXpresso" - which it ain't.

It's ESpresso......
    Cheers, David

2. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (03-08-2012)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    In the meantime, my all time fave every day coffee is (waits for Zak to leave the room) ... Taylors of Harrogate Italian blend. In a cafétiere.
    That's my fall back everyday coffee if I can't get the cloud forests. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to have top quality espresso as my every day drink, but it takes too long at home (unless someone has invented a machine that doesn't need to be on for at least 30 minutes before using that I don't know of?) and costs too much outside of home for everyday drinking.

You're a bit late to the x/s party

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I should have said. In relation to Lavazza, as a make, "Espresso" is simply the name they've given to a particular product, one of their blends, if you like, made of 100% Arabica beans, medium-roast.

It's NOT the same thing as is generally meant by espresso, that being the thick, dark, generally quite bitter coffee you get in a small cup.

All I'm talking about in the above post is "normal" coffee, that they happen to call espresso, and while they may (confusingly) name that blend "espresso" it isn't espresso in the normal sense, unless you brew the coffee that way, which I don't.

I hope that's clear. ???
    Alright let me try to interpret what you meant here. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    So, making coffee in your own cafetiere, is known as "normal" coffee which happened to be called espresso.
    Now, if you are making a pro espresso or ordering an espresso somewhere in a main st chain store or restaurant, it will a a dark, thick, bitter coffee.
    And "Espresso" by Lavazza, is this the same espresso in relation to the thick, dark, bitter blend of coffee??

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    That's my fall back everyday coffee if I can't get the cloud forests. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to have top quality espresso as my every day drink, but it takes too long at home (unless someone has invented a machine that doesn't need to be on for at least 30 minutes before using that I don't know of?) and costs too much outside of home for everyday drinking.
    30 mins? What sort of crazy machine is that? Mine recommends 6 mins warm up, but in a pinch you can manage it in a bit less. I normally switch it on, eat my cereal then prep a shot. Adds a couple of minutes to the morning at most.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    So, making coffee in your own cafetiere, is known as "normal" coffee which happened to be called espresso.
    Now, if you are making a pro espresso or ordering an espresso somewhere in a main st chain store or restaurant, it will a a dark, thick, bitter coffee.
    And "Espresso" by Lavazza, is this the same espresso in relation to the thick, dark, bitter blend of coffee??
    Not quite.
    Lavazza have a blend of beans called "espresso", which is just a certain blend of coffee beans. This is quite common - it usually refers to a dark roast of a style often used to make espresso (see below).
    Coffee in a cafetiere is just coffee.
    Espresso in a shop or at home with a machine is a method of coffee preparation that is unrelated to the beans used, it often uses what coffee manufacturers call an "espresso blend" of beans, but you can make espresso with any coffee beans you like.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    Pretty much, yes.

I'd class "normal" as being the basic coffees you'll get from a cafetiere, or a drip machine, or whatever. In other words, ground coffee beans with near-boiling water either dripped through, in the drip machine, or "brewed" in a cafetiere.

Expresso is a specific type of coffee made in a specific way to produce a specific result, which tends to be thicker, stronger, more "kick". And it's a bit of an acquired taste, in my opinion.

The Lavazzo "Espresso" is brand name, for medium ground Arabica beans in a particular blend. But there are numerous blends, and numerous companies making them. Hell, I've even mixed my own blends over the years, and I could buy two or more types of beans, mix them in appropriate proportions, grind them to the fineness I wanted, package them and sell them. And call it "Saracen Espresso" if I felt inclined.

So espresso is coffee produced from ground beans using a specific technique to make it, and you can use countless brands of ground coffee to make it, and the results will be different for each brand.

Or, you can make coffee in a cafetiere, using any of numerous brands, one of which is that Lavazzo Espresso brand.

And, there's nothing to stop you using Lavazzo Espresso coffee in a cafetiere, or in a drip machine, or in an espresso machine, and ending up with "normal" coffee, or espresso, depending on how you make it.

I have to say, though, I wish Lavasso had called that particular brand any damn thing they liked, except Espresso, because you're right, it's confusing as hell to use a product named "espresso" coffee to make coffee that isn't espresso.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have to say, though, I wish Lavasso had called that particular brand any damn thing they liked, except Espresso, because you're right, it's confusing as hell to use a product named "espresso" coffee to make coffee that isn't espresso.
    They could have call it "Lavasso's specialty coffee" or "Lavasso's special blend" (I know they sound a bit cliche but oh well)
    Also, the idea of "Saracen Espresso" sounds pretty cute to me You could have a vendor machine or shop and start selling your own coffee.
    Meanwhile I will try to find some coffee beans that are suited to my taste. I feel like I'm adding way too much cream.... can't stand bitter stuff though.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

this thread is brilliant... I didn't know so many other people here were as anal about coffee as I am.

TeePee... I KNOW it's scidence.. but so is driving a rally car..... and let me assure you, while I know Eric Carlsson was a great mechanic.... it wasn't that skill that made him a god.. it was nature.

Good coffee makers came before they understood the molecules. I for one prefer Valentine Warner over Heston Blumenthal (who is, categorically... a thwaite)
    Last edited by Zak33; 06-08-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Oh and I also hate the word "EXpresso" - which it ain't.

It's ESpresso......
    this.... if anyone takes anything from this thread.. it is this.,

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    this thread is brilliant... I didn't know so many other people here were as anal about coffee as I am.

TeePee... I KNOW it's scidence.. but so is driving a rally car..... and let me assure you, while I know Eric Carlsson was a great mechanic.... it wasn't that skill that made him a god.. it was nature.

Good coffee makers came before they understood the molecules. I for one prefer Valentie Warner over Heston Blumenthal (who is, categorically... a thwaite)
    Very True.

I like to think of the comparison as Alton Brown to Raymond Blanc.
    Last edited by Zak33; 06-08-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo in my quote

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

When I have a spare £20, it would be interesting to try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phillipine-A..._cp_k_h_b_cs_0
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Peterb I'm going to be popping back to blighty from Vietnam at the end of the month, want me to pick you up a proper pack of my favourite Coffee Chồn? (Kopi Luwak with less branding, its legit stuff).

Price alternates between $60-$180 a kg, when one of my Vietnamese friends buys it, when whitey boy here tries its always $300!

However, let me make this clear, its not nice if you love coffee. Real Civit stuff has that acerbic harshness removed, and just isn't right. Vietnamese coffee has on the whole a loverly rich and buttery goodness, that makes cà phê sữa đá so damned good. It needs the harsh edge to contrast the goodness.

Civit coffee is like making love to a eunuch, you can do your thing, then wait as long as you like, but he won't reciprocate.

Vietnamese coffee is some of the most interesting and challanging in the world, don't dumb it down to eating processed cat poop.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

14. Received thanks from:

peterb (05-08-2012)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you!

It sounds as if it is a bit bland then?. Or perhaps over-hyped because of the er... Unusual production method.

What quantity is a pack?, I'm not sure I'd want a kilo But thank you for the offer.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Larkspeed

I never could understand all this hype going on about different "coffee"

I have a senseo machine that makes a basic black coffee in about 20 seconds, a little cream and sugar and I am set.

The shear amount of hassle required to make any other type of coffee to me just destroys any enjoyment I get from drinking it.

Besides which every time I have tried any of the other types I have just found them disgusting.

All personal choice but to me good coffee is douwe egberts either pads in the senseo or ground in a basic coffee machine, that + cream + sugar = heaven. you can keep the rest.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It sounds as if it is a bit bland then?. Or perhaps over-hyped because of the er... Unusual production method.

What quantity is a pack?, I'm not sure I'd want a kilo But thank you for the offer.
    Bland and overhyped would be my description! How many grams would you want 100? They will be sealing the pack for me, in front of me. I could also pick up some of my favourite if you want something for making Cà Phê Sữa Dá, which is just loverly in the summer. Also you have a grinder I assume...

I will also say, just in case of page rank, if you buy Coffee in Hanoi or HCMC or hell anywhere thats not central highlands, and it says "Weasel" it is certainly not civit coffee. Often civit coffee is syntheticly done now, which is nicer than the idea of batteryfarmed civits, but often its the latter.

If you want good stuff in Hanoi, head to Cafe Mai, be prepaired for truely awful customer service

Larkspeed, thats personal preference thou, myself I Find good coffee is espresso, easy to make, not much faffing, when I do want to faff, I'll often make a Vietnamese style iced coffee, which is a bit of condensed milk, espresso, stir vigurously, poor over ice. Easier than Tea as condensed milk keeps for ages!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    30 mins? What sort of crazy machine is that? Mine recommends 6 mins warm up, but in a pinch you can manage it in a bit less. I normally switch it on, eat my cereal then prep a shot. Adds a couple of minutes to the morning at most.
    Does it taste as good if you don't warm it up for 30 mins? Most machines actually need about a 30 min warmup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information