Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Salmon

Thanks

Smoked Salmon

Hiya, I'm a great lover of smoked salmon(aren't we all?), but I have a problem with it that I'm hoping either has a solution, or a get around.

Whenever it gets heated in the least(even just from other warm food) it becomes all like regular salmon, which, in all honesty, isn't my favourite thing. I don't dislike it, but I do love smoked salmon, so was wondering if theres any way of avoiding this de-smokification that happens upon being dished with even warm food.

Obivously I'm an utter noob to cooking stuff, but I'm curious, so, please help

Thanks
    I know what you mean, it can go a bit to old fishy tasting. But my girfirend as an AMAZING receipe (also nice in scrambled eggs). The key is to put it in the dish right at the last minute before serving.

Thanks
    There's quite a lot of variation in the taste of smoked salmon, so try different ones before you settle on something. A more smokey, strongly flavoured one's needed to stand up to cooking.

I second that you only add it right at the end - it shouldn't even go opaque of you get the timing right, it should just warm through. Try it on tagliatelle, with some (small tub for two people) creme fraiche, lemon juice (one lemon per two people), and dill. Just cook the pasta, and chuck the salmon in last, letting the heat from the pasta warm it through. Serve it straight away, with white wine (this is a great meal to impress people with too, and it takes about 15mins all in to cook).

Thanks
    Thanks guys, will try both the last minute suggestion and the stronger smokey salmon if I can too.

Wil try that recipe you give as well nameinuse, all I needs some creme freiche, so I think I'm making dinner tomorrow night

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nameinuse
    Try it on tagliatelle, with some (small tub for two people) creme fraiche, lemon juice (one lemon per two people), and dill. Just cook the pasta, and chuck the salmon in last, letting the heat from the pasta warm it through. Serve it straight away, with white wine (this is a great meal to impress people with too, and it takes about 15mins all in to cook).
    Beautiful. Your are making me hungry! Almost exactly what my girlfriend makes. Use some of the white wine in the cooking too. Can also add some king prawns (cooked from raw state) in too and flat leaf parsley (insteed of dill maybe?) and garnish with Parmesan cheese.

uuummm..... salmon.............

Thanks
    I'd probably not put cheese with fish (I'm a bit traditional like that). This is one that benefits from keeping simple, I think.

Prawns sound really nice in it though, I suppose it would also work with lobster! (Or maybe crab if you're not feeling quite so extravagent). I think I'm making myself hungry, and I've only just had dinner...

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Parmesan is a good chease to add to dishes. It contains the highest concentration of naturally occuring MSG so is great as a flavour enhancer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar
    Parmesan is a good chease to add to dishes. It contains the highest concentration of naturally occuring MSG so is great as a flavour enhancer
    Thanks for letting me know, MSG is something i try an aviod! It gives me heart palpitations.

I thought MSG (Monosodium glutamate - also known as chinese flavouring salt) was a man-made product? Do you mean normal glutamate?
    Either way, many people, including me and my dad very much, are very sensitive to MSG. I get heart palpitations and my dad feels like he is having a heart attack. It's fairly common for people to react to it. Quite a few people actually go to hospital thinking they are having a heart attack, only to find out it was MSG causing it. It's known as chinese take-away syndrome because it's mainly chinese take-aways that use a lot of it.
    It's one the biggest topics in heath circles. TBH, there has been no proof that i know of that it has causes significant long term heath problems (although some people seem to think it might do). Personally i have to aviod it, but most people dont have a problem with.

Sorry, just thought i would share that with yer as it something i was dicussing just yesterday. I guess people have better things to worry about

EDIT : Here is an interesting article i just found if anyone is bored enough! - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...522368,00.html
    Last edited by autopilot; 04-10-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    A good read - I though it was going to be a standard media "OMG MSG is bad for you" type thing

I have my suspicions about it being a psychosomatic effect too.

Its possible that some people do have an allergy to it in the same way that people have an allergy to other foods , but for the large It wont affect where I eat

http://health.iafrica.com/dietonline...es/msg0911.htm
    http://www.eufic.org/gb/food/pag/food35/food352.htm
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick

I have my suspicions about it being a psychosomatic effect too.
    Well it obviously does not effect you in the way it does me and my father and other people, as you would have no suspicions. I get very real heart palpitations, and have done since before i even knew anyting MSG or even that it existed. It's just like when you drink to much coffee. It's not something i really worry about, it's just iritating really. My dad knew nothing about it either until he was at the doctor who told him about MSG. He then realied he had been eating things high in MSG before he got them, such as certain makes of crisps and take away food.
    How can it be psychosomatic if i never knew anything about before hand? It's the only thing that gives it to me (apart from too much coffee). But i can't see what danger i am in and still eat stuff with in it all the time. I never really read food lables and it's only when it has a lot in that i notice anything afterwards. It's definatly not psychosomatic, but maybe if you eat a lot of it all the time you might even get used to it maybe?

Thanks
    I'm pretty sceptical about MSG leading to those effects, "chinese restaurant syndrome" in any situation other than stuffing MSG crammed food on a completely empty stomach. It's more likely the colourings, sugar and fat in cheap food that does most people the dis-service. Hypersensetivity to colourings is well documented, and as they're not naturally occuring (particularly the azo-dyes, e.g. tartrazine) I think they're more likely to be something the body struggles to metabolise.

Parmesan is very high in glutamate (as is tomato ketchup), which is the amino acid (it comes from the breakdown of milk protein in parmesan) that is made into a sodium salt in MSG (Mono-sodium glutamate: one sodium atom bonded to a molecule of glutamate). In fact the little crunchy crystals you get in parmesan, and long-aged cheddar are amino-acid salts (some of it glutamate), rather than just common table salt. There's also lots in soy sauce, and other oriental fermented-bean things, like miso paste.

However, parmesan and smoked salmon are an odd combination that I won't be trying anytime soon... most italians I've spoken to or read wouldn't put parmesan on any bony fish (though it's open season for shellfish, depending on personal taste).

Thanks
    If did also mention that is possible for some people to have an allergy to it, but I think a lot of people in the late 80's blamed MSG for just about any ill health effects.

do you get the same problems with tomato ketchup ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Very rarely eat it.

Thanks
    If you want a great smoky tasting smoked salmon try loch fyne organic smoked salmon. In my opinion its the closest thing to wild smoked salmon without the hefty price tag. Its flavour and texture is also very consistent unlike the H Formans wild salmon which can sometimes be oversmoked due to the smallish nature of wild salmon that they are supplied with these days.
    Another salmon to try is loch fynes bradon roast. Its hot roasted salmon that is one the best salmons Ive tasted. Flaked in a salad that would be awesome.
    Btw I dont work for Loch Fyne.
    Ive had a part time job hand carving smoke salmon and selling caviar while at uni. Got very good at it too. And got to try almost all types of smoked fish. It was a big counter.
    Last edited by demonwolf; 06-10-2005 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip

Thanks
    Likewise, will be looking into the suggested items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information