Thread: USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard

Thanks

USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard

My Freecom USB 3.0 hard drive (2TB) and Hitachi 3TB Touro USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive (3TB) have the following problems:

The drives don't appear when connected to any of the motherboard's USB 3.0 ports. I can sometimes hear the USB noise that signifies when you've made a connection. It goes on but the drive doesn't appear then several seconds later I hear the noise
    again as if I disconnected it or like there's not enough power.

I also have a USB 3.0 card and the same thing happens with that as does a 2 port panel on the front of my case which came with my case.

All 4 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard work with my USB 3.0 hard drives.

I also have a 4 port USB 2.0 front panel that came with my PC case. For my USB 3.0 Hard Drive's only the bottom right and bottom left port works.

Notes

I have Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

All ports on my PC are working when not connected to USB Hard Drives.

All the USB 3.0 motherboard ports work when connected to a USB 3.0 flash drive (I get around 90 MB/s transfer speed) which may suggest there may not be enough power going to the USB 3.0 ports for the USB hard drives. However in the front panel USB 3.0 slots, the flash drive only works on the left USB 3.0 slot and not in the right slot.

The USB 3.0 cables are only 1 metre long and came with my hard drives.

I've installed the Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller as well as the Intel one. I also installed the USB 3 stuff that came on another disc.

Both USB 3.0 Hard Drives work fine on my old PC when connected to USB 2.0 ports.

I tried disconnecting the USB 3.0 card and all the ports that came with my case but that made no difference.

I updated the motherboard from F16 to F18 but that made no difference.

This is the first time I've built a PC but I'm sure I connected everything and there's nothing to even connect in regard to the motherboard USB 3.0 ports as they're already a part of the motherboard!
    Last edited by holygamer; 20-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Re: USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboar

The only thing I can think of, is what you already mentioned, not enough power from the USB3 ports to drive these hdd's.

Sorry, but hopefully, by bumping your post, someone more knowledgeable will see it and be more helpful.

Thanks

Re: USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboar

Thanks. I'm looking for a similar motherboard from another manufacturer now: http://forums.hexus.net/motherboards...eds-100-a.html

If you know of one, please let me know on that thread.

Thread Information