Thread: H370 Mobo with i5-9600K CPU out of the box?

lnz
    Registered+
    Thanks

Question H370 Mobo with i5-9600K CPU out of the box?

After I finally decided to upgrade my system, while I was dillydallying, Intel has suddenly decided to increase their CPU prices. Go figure.

So I decided to wait for Black Friday and I noticed that the i5-9600K CPU has become available, at prices comparable to my original choice, the i5-8600 (non K).

Originally, I was looking at either of these motherboards
    GIGABYTE H370 HD3
    ASUS PRIME H370-PLUS
    because I need a PCI slot and three video ports.

Both manufacturers offer an upgraded BIOS supporting 9th gen CPUs.

What I don’t have clear, however, is whether the MBs that are sold at the moment by the likes of Amazon, Scan or Ebuyer already have this new updated BIOS.

I would really appreciate any suggestion, comments, personal experience you might have

Thanks

Lnz

PS I am aware that the H370 chipset will not allow me to overclock. I am fine with it. The applications I use would still benefit from the faster single core speed of the 9600K compared to the 8600.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: H370 Mobo with i5-9600K CPU out of the box?

I thought i'd have the same problem as I bought a z370i Strix motherboard from amazon however it posted and recognised the 9600k so It must have had a recent bios. Then the first thing I done was update the bios just to make sure.

Registered+
    Thanks

I also considered this but opted for the 8600 (non K due to the lower power consumption for my ITX system). Does anyone know if Intel will release a 9600 (non K) please?

Thanks

if you are getting the K version then I would recommend you to invest in a cheap z370 or z390 motherboard. Gigabyte is just providing that.

lnz
    Registered+
    Thanks

Thank you for your comment.

I went ahead and bought a GIGABYTE H370 HD3. By looking at the serial number, Gigabyte was able to determine that that specific one did not come with the upgraded BIOS and asked me to return it for a free-of-charge update. This I did, and I am happy to report that the MB works well with the i5-9600K CPU.

All of this took place towards the end of December, so it is likely that the situation has changed by now.

I have now a more or less fully silent system -- except for the annoying fact that the PSU enters in resonance with the UPS and I can hear the 50Hz buzz. One of these days I will move the UPS somewhere else.

The reason I chose a i5-9600K rather than an 8600 was that it was way cheaper at the time. I don’t know the prices ATM.
    The reason I chose a H370 rather than a different model was again a matter of cost (at the time) and the presence of 3 video ports (I run a multimonitor setup)
    All in all, I spent more than I wanted.

Thread Information