Thread: Issue with MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi - RMA or not?

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Issue with MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi - RMA or not?

Hi All,

Recently purchased the MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi motherboard from Scan and I thought the board was DOA for two reasons but upon further troubleshooting, I found out how to get around them but I am not sure if I should RMA the motherboard.

1. When I tighten the screws on my NZXT H62 cooler, the board gets stuck on the 'BOOT' LED on the EZLED readout. I've therefore left it somewhat loose but I've had that cooler with me for 2 motherboard changes and I've always had it somewhat tight (tighten it as far as I can by hand - not even screwdriver so it shouldn't be overly tight). I've googled it and it seems if you overtighten a cooler then that can cause issues like micro cracks in the motherboard and the CPU may not make perfect contact in the socket due to it being bent? Not sure how true those are though as I've personally never experienced that issue.
    2. Secondly, when it's connected to my 1440p main monitor, there is no boot screen and it pretty much goes straight into Windows. If I want to go into BIOS or see the boot screen I need to plug in a 1080p monitor. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I can change or something? Again, on my previous motherboard by AsRock, I did not have this issue. The PC was stuck on the BIOS for a long time and I didn't know that as there was no output at all to the monitor until I decided to try a 1080p display (both from the same port on the GPU).
    3. Although probably not a valid reason for RMAing - the NVMe M.2 slot heatsink screw for some reason doesn't tighten. If I take the heatsink off and just screw the screw in, it screws in fine and when I put the screw in the heatsink, it also seems to have enough coming out of it to screw into the motherboard. There are two sides to the heatsink and I've tried to switch the screws around and I've also screwed in the "dodgy" side first so that it doesn't lift from the other side. However, it never tightens and I'm worried the screw will just drop out one day and short something and that the heatsink may also end up loose with only 1 screw on. It does seem to get a bit toasty so I'd like to use the heatsink.

I don't believe the second one is a major cause of concern because once I've set up the PC, it's unlikely I'll go into the BIOS very often. The first issue with not being able to post is however more worrying and I don't want to have issues down the line when it falls out of warranty or something so I'm wondering is this something I should try to RMA for?

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Re: Issue with MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi - RMA or not?

Did some more digging and found out issue 2 was caused by an old firmware for my GPU:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers...fi-update-x64/

Ran the updater and BIOS comes on my main 1440p monitor without an issue now!

Just need an answer on issues 1 and 3 now!
    Last edited by Ulti; 30-11-2020 at 01:14 AM.

Thread Information