Thread: VPN features

Thanks

VPN features

I am intending to get a netgear Dg824m wireless router with built in Adsl modem. But I will be getting 2 third party wireless usb adapters ( 50% cheaper when compare with netgear usb adapter) for my 2 computers. I have some doubts on the VPN security features.

i) will the third party adapter work with or interfere or compromise VPN functionality on the router?

ii) I came across some articles mentioning about "VPN solution requires a separate VPN server" . What does this statement imply ? I thought the VPN features is suppose to be on the router hardware itself for encrypting info & authentication between client and the router. Do I have to do any setting on my computer?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    The VPn facilities of that router will allow a VPN connection to pass through it.

What exactly do you want to achieve with this VPN ?
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    I think you may be confusing VPN for wireless encryption

As long as the third party wireless adapters support WEP encryption, at least you have some form of security (64bit at least, 128bit would be best). Then coupled with mac addressing filtering on your router.. you network for the two machines will be safe (although wireless isn't as secure as a hard-wired solution).

VPN is a different animal altogether. That would mean you want to allow secure, encrypted connections through the router into your network.. effectively making a remote computer part of your internal network.. over the internet

Break down the details a little more for us
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    I just read about the VPN feature in the netgear Dg824m spec. Netgear mentioned firewall & VPN for protection & secure connection against transpasses. I understand it has to do with encryption & authentication for secure connection to the network. Otherwise, I am clueless about its function and configuration.

I am actually using the wireless router to share bb internet access, transferring of working file between 2 desktops and sharing of printer/scanner. I just want protection against hacker attack, data confidentiality & stopping unauthorised user gaining access to the network.

Thread Information