• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VP-171S
      • Internet:
      • Cable broadband 10meg

Question Synology DS-207 - password prompts in WinXP

Hi all,

Recently got a Synology DS-207 NAS box and a pair of 500GB drives to put in it. Pretty pleased with it so far. I have a couple of shares set up, which are mapped to drive letters in WinXP. I've created a user account on the Synology box with the same name as my WinXP account name, and told Windows to store the password when I mapped the drives.

However the first time I try to connect to the mapped network shares after a boot, Windows complains about an unrecognised username or password. I have to re-enter the password (but leave the username as it is), and then I can access it. It's not the end of the world, but I can see that it's going to get pretty annoying.

I've disconnected then remapped the network shares, told it to reconnect at log on, store the pw, etc, but to no avail. Anyone got any ideas how I can make Windows store the password and actually connect the drives, as I expected it to?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    • stroberaver's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
      • Storage:
      • 1.6 TB combined between PC and NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan T480-U01
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VP-171S
      • Internet:
      • Cable broadband 10meg

Unhappy

After doing some more digging it appears that this function is by design in WinXP Home, I've seen some comments that suggest SP2 removed the ability to store network passwords. If so, thanks, Microsoft. You're doing a great job of driving people towards Linux.

I gather that the way to control whether Windows stores names and passwords is to run secpol.msc but this isn't present on WinXP Home. Only on XP Pro.

Does anyone know of any registry edits or hacks to get around this and enable XP Home to store passwords to network shares? I don't need any of the features of XP Pro, I just want Windows to store a bloody password.

Sorry if this comes across as rather feisty but I'm just a little frustrated right now, tearing my hair out trying to find a way to get XP Home to do the bleeding obvious. Any help would be much appreciated, I've trawled plenty tech sites and googled but never sure if I'm searching for the right terms.

Thread Information