Thread: any ideas on D-Link 510+ and XP Problem??

Registered+
    Thanks

any ideas on D-Link 510+ and XP Problem??

hey every1,
    we were trying to set up a home network to be able to use the BB upstairs, so we went out and brought the D-Link 510+ wireless adaptors, and then the problems started, there is no problem on the hardware side, as we fitted them easily ect. and then we tried using windows and the supplied software, but the card would just not let an I.P. be assigned to it!! it will jus not show up, and one card cannot connect to the other as there is no ip, and we are using ad-hoc. it wont show up as an ip in dos on "ipconfig" its dam annoying, any1 got any ideas, all the latest drivers have been downloaded ect. but still no i.p. any1 help coz im clueless
    cheers 4 any help
    sam

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    You tried assigning it an IP address? XP allows you to assign an Alternate adress for cards to use instead of auto private addressing.

Also check your documentation - some cards will not run with wondows auto wireless configuration service running.

I personally HATE using cards in Ad-hoc mode, much in the same way I hate workgroups instead of domains!

Girly is using the laptop atm but once I kick her off it, I'll try and work out what else you'll need.

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    ok.... Firstly you did install the software before installing the hardware?

Next, you'll need to set the SSID to the same thing on both cards.
    Change the card from infrastructure mode to ad-hoc.
    If you've enabled zero configuration, windows shoudl find the other card, but won't connect to it unless you tell it to (as it's an unsecure network) - tell it to connect.

On the machine you've got the BB connected on, you'll have to bridge the connections together but as you've not told us much about that side yet I can't be any more specific.

Registered+
    Thanks
    ok m8, thx for the help, ive got it all up and running now, was simply a case of assigning an ip instead of auto, then the ssid were the same and it seemed to work a treat!

Cheers 4 the help Jiff, v.much appreciated m8!
    peace out
    sam

Thread Information